PDA

View Full Version : 71.84 WHQL and Sound issues in DOOM3?

Superfly
03-12-05, 01:07 PM
I've seen a thread on this but cant find it for love nor money,

I went to play D3 today and although the game runs fine when the menu screen 1st loads up and also if you just run the timedemo, once I load a game or start a new one the sound skips or cuts out completely???

having ruled out the game being the issue (i've already completed it 3 times on this hardware) and tried 3 different sound drivers/ + game versions 1.0 & 1.1 it leaves the only other recent change my video driver?

someone help me out here - i'll die without doom3

Waffles
03-12-05, 02:20 PM
People have posted that as being a problem, no solution was found as of yet. Just revert to older drivers for now.

Demanufakture
03-12-05, 02:25 PM
I tried out the 71.84 drivers on my rig with doom3, went back to 67.66 because of the temp bug, and no problems at all with my sound. I played the game with surround sound on, high detail, 4x AA. Don't know how your video driver could cause your sound to go out, that has never happened to me before in years of playing pc games.

TierMann
03-12-05, 02:33 PM
Here's a thread for the same problem in 75.90...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47115

Sounds like maybe an nv drivers + audigy 2 problem.

agent
03-12-05, 02:42 PM
Well, no probs here with 71.84 WHQL and Doom3. Played Caverns Arena....

DirkBelig
03-12-05, 03:18 PM
Haven't tried the 71.84s yet, but the sound has always crapped out in Doom 3 since Day One and I had to bind a key to restart the sound system. Yeesh.

Superfly
03-12-05, 03:42 PM
Ok this is very weird, I've gone right back to 67.66 driver and the problem is the same - its not GPU related in my case.

I've also switch the Audigy 2 for my onboard Realtek AC97 and the problem is still there, I then removed both the Audigy 2 and the Realtek and all traces of any audio drivers - rebooted without any audio device at all and the problem was still there!!!!!

I've also tried updating the the BETA Intel 6.3.0.1008 chipset drivers and the problem is still there.

Im wondering if one of my WIndowsXP "tweaks" has done this?? - I do shut down almost all services and stripout the rubbish like MSN etc from XP.

Im going to suffer another re-format/install of windows and try the game with windows on its default install settings and just the chipset/forceware drivers installed.

brb - in about 12 hours :-(

EDIT: FORGOT TO SAY IT DOES THIS REGARDLESS OF WETHER OR NOT SURROUND SOUND IS SELECTED.

or which speaker settings i use.

Superfly
03-12-05, 05:33 PM
Well a reformat did'nt help.

running on just my chipset, audio and video drivers with XP @ its default install settings and its still happening.

for now i give up.

radial
03-12-05, 05:45 PM
Does this happen with any other games?

Nabukadnezar
03-13-05, 01:30 AM
Just a reminder for people with sound problems:

All you need is perhaps installing your Audigy in another PCI slot. Have you ever tried it?

SH64
03-13-05, 03:46 AM
I get sound stuttering problem , but in Riddick & SW:RC (using onboard Realtek audio) . wonder if this has anything to do with the 71.84 .

ChrisRay
03-13-05, 04:05 AM
I get sound stuttering problem , but in Riddick & SW:RC (using onboard Realtek audio) . wonder if this has anything to do with the 71.84 .

Lil off topic but on topic... Your using Onboard Audio Realtek audio with that kind of computer? :eek:

SH64
03-13-05, 04:41 AM
Lil off topic but on topic... Your using Onboard Audio Realtek audio with that kind of computer? :eek:

LOL .. yeah but i'm installing the Audigy 2 ZS (from my other PC) on it soon .. i just wanted to make sure the new PC is working fine .
actually i might do it today .

Superfly
03-13-05, 07:20 AM
Problem is solved!!!!

I dont understand why but I solved it.

Basically I moved my page file back from my D drive (SATA) to my C drive (System) and it works perfectly??

It also works with no page file at all and the D drive disabled in the bios? how fooking weird is that!!!!????? :confused:

Im glad its sorted but i wish I could keep my page file on the faster D drive :-(

oh well - cant win them all. :(

Tikimotel
03-13-05, 07:28 AM
Quake3 also has the swapfile "bug", if you turn of swapfile completely. You don't have any music.