PDA

View Full Version : Poor 6800GT 2D Performance

Danger Mouse
03-12-05, 04:30 PM
Hi all

This is an issue I've had for a long time, hoping it would go away as new drivers were released, but it hasn't.

The problem is that my display, while seeming fine in games, is updated noticably slower in 2D Windows than with my previous computer (Athlon XP 2500+, ATI Radeon 9500). See my sig for my current system.

A good example is if a screensaver fades from white to black: rather than the screen fading smoothly as a whole (as the very same screensaver does on my older computer) it shows about ten horizontal blocks from the top to the bottom of the screen, progressively getting darker, each one slightly behind the other in it's greyness.

When working in Windows, minimsing a maximised window results in the screen 'wiping' from top to bottom with whatever is behind the window.

My refresh rate isn't the problem - it's definitely 85hz. The monitor is a 22" Mitsubishi Plus 230. This same monitor was fine with my old system.

I'm running at 1600x1200, but can also see the effect at 1024x768 to a slightly lesser degree.

I've looked at the advanced timings in the nVidia control panel; have experimented with timing standards of auto-detect, general timing formula, discrete monitor timing, coordinated video timing and fixed aspect ratio timing to no avail. So far I haven't tried changing the 'Mode & timing' setting as these looked rather complex and potentially dangerous (eg. '861B (1920 x 1080 @ 59.94) - P').

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

undercover
03-12-05, 04:52 PM
Same here. First thing I noticed on moving from an ATI 9800Pro to a 6800GT. The Nvidia cards can't keep up in 2D. They don't 'snap' the same way the ATI cards do.

A lot of people just don't notice it but I also see artifacts watching 100Hz TV's which other people will swear blind they dont see.

Maybe we have fast eyes :)

technews
03-12-05, 04:53 PM
I've got the Asus 6800GT and things are normal in 2D..

PikachuMan
03-12-05, 05:04 PM
Have you installed your chipset/motherboard drivers?

Same here. First thing I noticed on moving from an ATI 9800Pro to a 6800GT. The Nvidia cards can't keep up in 2D. They don't 'snap' the same way the ATI cards do.

Odd, I did a PCPitstop test a while back on my 9700p, and my 6800GT has better 2D speed. (205.18 MP/s for the 9700p vs 279.4 MP/s for the 6800GT).

Danger Mouse
03-12-05, 05:10 PM
Yes, I recently formatted and re-installed (including VIA 4 in 1 chipset drivers, although I think because I'm using WinXP the automatic setting chose to only install one of the four things).

Thanks for your experience undercover. Have since found this: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=39907

Maybe we have fast eyes :)
I have fast eyes compared to my father at least. We have a 50hz 28" widescreen, and the flickering on bright white scenes is pretty bad, but Dad can't see it.

:rolleyes:

So as it seems it's pretty much a non-solvable problem I was thinking of maybe installing another graphics card for 2D use, whilst using my 6800GT for gaming. Is this possible? I quite often see games configurations asking which display device to use - so would they give me a choice if I were to have two installed? Are there any other implications?