PDA

View Full Version : Shimmering

saweetnesstrev
03-12-05, 09:14 PM
FX 5700 Ultra, AMD Athlon 2500+, 1 GiG PC3200 2 2 2 6 , WIN XP SP2

when i play games they look like double images ect... and when i move it shimmers.. it fixes when i turn antialiasing and antrisoptic on but i cant cause it will cause my fps to go way down and uplayable..

I can only play CS:S with 1280x1024 No AA or AF, and shader low and shadow low,, and on a water map i only get 40-45 FPS.. Tryed all drivers..

i have a screenshot and circled the places when i move it shimmers.. Tryed all options too...

Wheres a place where i can upload my image too?

superklye
03-12-05, 09:20 PM
Negative LOD clamp.

And you can use photobucket.

saturnotaku
03-12-05, 09:21 PM
Negative LOD clamp.

And setting the image quality slider to high quality.

saweetnesstrev
03-12-05, 09:22 PM
Negative LOD Clamp to Clamp and High Quality,, Gonna try uploading now.. Thanks Saturn..

saweetnesstrev
03-12-05, 09:26 PM
Ok Here's a pic http://photobucket.com/albums/y13/saweetnesstrev/?action=view&current=Trev.jpg

i circled the areas where i get shimmering.. Dont know if you can see or not but it drivers me nuts since i cant use antialiasing or anstrioptic filtering..

The air or fog also shimmers by boxes and things too :( (happens when i move)

saweetnesstrev
03-12-05, 09:31 PM
Those options improve it a little bit :) Thanks guys (still get shimmering though) is this normal?

Peoples-Agent
03-12-05, 09:47 PM
Do bears...... etc etc

mikedep333
03-12-05, 09:52 PM
Ok Here's a pic http://photobucket.com/albums/y13/saweetnesstrev/?action=view&current=Trev.jpg

i circled the areas where i get shimmering.. Dont know if you can see or not but it drivers me nuts since i cant use antialiasing or anstrioptic filtering..

The air or fog also shimmers by boxes and things too :( (happens when i move)

You are totally misunderstanding what shimmering is. Shimmering is an annoying effect along flat (or close to it) surfaces. This was especially noticeable on the ground in BF1942 for example.
What you are seeing is simply jagged edges, which naturally look funny as you move around. This is especially noticeable if you have a really sharp screen, or have enabled nvidia image sharpening enabled. The only way to do eliminate this is to enable anti-aliasing and/or have your resolution maxed out.

Hope this is of help and you don't have to get a new card.

saweetnesstrev
03-12-05, 09:59 PM
So i need a better card lol

mikedep333
03-12-05, 10:00 PM
You only need to enable 2x or 4x AA to remedy the jaggies.

Clay
03-12-05, 10:04 PM
mikedep333 is correct and additionally, you could drop down to 1024x768 and have a better sweet spot with the 5700 and today's games and 2xAA or 4xAA.

saturnotaku
03-13-05, 08:25 AM
Further, there are simply some areas in games that will not benefit from FSAA. IIRC, in games that use a lot of normal mapping, you'll experience this effect. There's not much you can do about it except to enable one of the xS AA modes, which would not be a prudent thing to do on a FX5700 as it doesn't have nearly the memory bandwidth to handle it.