PDA

View Full Version : Please Please Help A novice - want a 6800GT?

scotton1982
03-14-05, 06:58 AM
Hey All,

Look I need some help in regards to upgrading to a new graphics card. I am currently running a GeForce FX5200 which is older than the Hills. I am looking to upgrade to a 6800GT, could someone tell me is it easy to fit & what is the minimum computer spec I should be using? If I need to ill just buy a new comp.

Ill get my computer spec up later to help out,

Thanks all,

"NOVICE"

superklye
03-14-05, 07:10 AM
Yeah, get your specs up, first...that'll help out a lot.

scotton1982
03-14-05, 07:12 AM
Hey,
In regards to my specs is there an easy way to get all the specs, I can find my processor and memory but what about power supply and motherboard type as I believe some cards may not fit, any help to find the full spec on my PC would be much apreciated,

Oh yes I am a NOVICE Indeed

TeaEtchSee
03-14-05, 09:42 AM
if u have 8x AGP and a strong power supply (400w atleast)

then your good to go..

to be safer get a 6600gt if u want...youll still see a big difference from you 5200fx

crayzboost
03-14-05, 11:18 AM
you can use sisoft sandra or everest to find full pc specs, do a search on them they are pretty easy to find..

mustrum
03-15-05, 06:21 AM
For powersupply info you need to look at it and read the specs. Die Amps on the 12 V Rail are very important. If it reads 18A or more you're on the safe side with a 6800GT.

scotton1982
03-15-05, 08:13 AM
Oh Yeah Baby,

Novice I may be, but gutsy I am, just ordered a new Inno 3D 6800 GT and new 500w Power Supply!! Along with a custom case and I am gonna build a beast of a machine, LEDs the works, I AM MAD!

Just hope I dont F*ck it up!

Adam "NUTS"

mustrum
03-15-05, 09:19 AM
Oh Yeah Baby,

Novice I may be, but gutsy I am, just ordered a new Inno 3D 6800 GT and new 500w Power Supply!! Along with a custom case and I am gonna build a beast of a machine, LEDs the works, I AM MAD!

Adam "NUTS"
Hehe. Have fun with it. I hope you didn't order one of those cheapo 30 bucks 500W PSU's.

NemesisChild
03-15-05, 10:32 AM
Oh Yeah Baby,

Adam "NUTS"

Hopefully it's a decent 500w PSU, you'll need it!
Some advice (since the GT's run hot), make sure you build in adequate case cooling fans!!!
Assuming you have a solid mobo and processor, you should be good to go.

Good luck......

scotton1982
03-15-05, 11:08 AM
Ok, Well its not the best case for cooling, I have 2 PSU fans rolling and the GPU Big mother fan and one small 80mm fan push out the back, I'm thinking about getting a new case with extra space for fans and stuff, what do I need to lookout for so my Mobo and other bits all fit in? Dont really know much about new cases, do Mobo's fit any case or do I have to buy a particular one?

"GT is damn hot"

NemesisChild
03-15-05, 02:38 PM
Ok, Well its not the best case for cooling, I have 2 PSU fans rolling and the GPU Big mother fan and one small 80mm fan push out the back, I'm thinking about getting a new case with extra space for fans and stuff, what do I need to lookout for so my Mobo and other bits all fit in? Dont really know much about new cases, do Mobo's fit any case or do I have to buy a particular one?

"GT is damn hot"

I'm not sure what to look for in a case, I've never really built one from scratch. Ideally, you should look for a case that has an intake fan in the front and two outward blowing fans in the back. Some even have fans on the side panel, I modded two of my PC's with this design (inward blowing). Then installed 92mm turbo fans in the back (to blow the hot air out). Another thing to consider, adding another stick of 512MB RAM.

scotton1982
03-16-05, 08:16 AM
The Build is preparing, a new venture into the unknown!

New case, 2x 120mm fans and 2x 80mm fans, one Inno 3D 6800GT Card, new 500w PSU, LED strips and light bits and all the old bits to be transferred into my new case!!!

Please give me some idea on how hard this will be?

I have ordered a tool kit and anti static wrist strap for protection,

Is there anything I should be aware of before starting that I have not mentioned!

"Spock"

ew2x4
03-16-05, 09:11 AM
Just dont get impatient. It's hard not to, but dont. You'll forget something stupid.

scotton1982
03-16-05, 09:34 AM
Oh Yeah thats my biggest worry, I am desperate to get it up and running!

The 6800GT was delivered today and the case and PSU are here tomorrow, must wait till saturday to do and not rush it!

Desperate to see Doom 3 and Far Cry running on full!

john19055
03-16-05, 08:40 PM
On the power supply the watts is not what to be concerned with,the amps are and how many amps that it has on the 12v rail,and I would say 18amps to be the least you want to have.

jAkUp
03-16-05, 08:44 PM
Your good, keep in mind though that Doom3 performs best on 1gb of system memory