PDA

View Full Version : realtek drivers vs nforce drivers

zoomy942
03-14-05, 09:42 AM
i am thinking about taking out my SB live audigy 2 and using my onboard audio (nforce 3 ultra - realtek alc850). i have seen once or twice around the web, that if i use the realtek drivers, i get hardware sound, but if i use nvidia's i only get software. anyone else know anything about this?

jAkUp
03-14-05, 10:15 AM
I would keep your audigy. Realtek hardware audio is no audigy. Maybe if you had soundstorm audio.

zoomy942
03-14-05, 10:20 AM
I would keep your audigy. Realtek hardware audio is no audigy. Maybe if you had soundstorm audio.
i know, i just have stupid little problems with my audigy, and i never ever had prblems with onboard audio.

Smokey
03-14-05, 10:27 AM
Maybe you can post the problem you have with your Audigy2, would be best trying to help you with that, as the onboard audio doesnt support hardware audio processing in games.

zoomy942
03-14-05, 10:31 AM
it's just stupid things.. like going to 2 speaker setup instead of staying at 5.1. and it doesnt install in the bottom 2 PCI slots, and it just bugs me that ther havent been newer drivers in about 9 months. there are other little things that are "what tha heck" kinds of things that arent detremental to gaming, just annoying

saturnotaku
03-14-05, 11:38 AM
I never had any problems using the ACL850 on my former Neo2 Platinum. Far as drivers go, NVIDIA's I think are better because they take up slightly less CPU than Realtek. Also, the sound is clearer with more bass. I think that's because NVIDIA's drivers are more tuned to the American ear/taste in music whereas Realtek's are more for those of Asian persuasion. I see this all the time in cars. Ones like the Honda Civic have almost no bass at all, but ones like the Dodge Neon have it with plenty to spare.

zoomy942
03-14-05, 10:35 PM
anyone else notice that they couldnt put their audigy in the bottom PCI slot?

saturnotaku
03-14-05, 10:40 PM
I couldn't put my wireless NIC in my bottom PCI slot because it shared with video. I had to move it up one.

Marcos
03-15-05, 06:39 AM
my realtek just stopped working for no reason >_<

Smokey
03-15-05, 08:51 AM
anyone else notice that they couldnt put their audigy in the bottom PCI slot?

My Audigy2 is in the last pci on my board :p

As far as driver go, I dont feel the need for updated drivers as I dont have any problems! I have had that speaker setting problem once though in the past, not sure how I fixed it.

zoomy942
03-15-05, 08:56 AM
My Audigy2 is in the last pci on my board :p

As far as driver go, I dont feel the need for updated drivers as I dont have any problems! I have had that speaker setting problem once though in the past, not sure how I fixed it.
i guess being able to use the bottom slot is mobo dependant or aduigy dependent (audigy2 vs audigy2 zs)

zoomy942
03-15-05, 01:23 PM
i thught this was interesting

http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cpu_mobo/msi/amd/s939/k8tneo2/p3.shtml

ynnek
03-15-05, 03:34 PM
yea but

With minimum detail and low resolution, the onboard sound results in just under a 40fps loss in performance. At a higher resolution and detail levels, the onboard sound's CPU utilization will not be a factor at all. There is less than 0.05fps loss in speed when using the onboard sound at this resolution, therefore, I wouldn't hesitate in using the onboard sound for general use and gaming.

goofjb
03-15-05, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately Creative has never been good about their drivers. I think that going with the Realtek drivers might be a better choice. Its true that the nvidia drivers do have more bass but the realtek drivers offer a lot more clarity. Besides if you play with the settings provided my the realtek software you can still get the bass your looking for.

Gator
03-16-05, 09:17 AM
I use the Realtek drivers for my ALC850 and I'm very happy with. JuiceZ explain to me once that the Realtek drivers apparently use the hardware more than the Nvidia drivers do. So by using the Nvidia drivers you may actually use more CPU resources which isn't cool.

Realtek

zoomy942
03-16-05, 09:40 AM
in reference to CPU usage.. with how fast processors are today, how much of a difference can it make to be using onboard audio

Gator
03-16-05, 09:50 AM
in reference to CPU usage.. with how fast processors are today, how much of a difference can it make to be using onboard audio

Very very little. With an Athlon64 you'd lose maybe 4 to 8 frames per second on average using onboard vs PCI card. With numbers like that, I'll just stick with my onboard Realtek ALC850. Besides with an A64 and GF6 my fps rates are plenty high already :p

zoomy942
03-16-05, 09:55 AM
Very very little. With an Athlon64 you'd lose maybe 4 to 8 frames per second on average using onboard vs PCI card. With numbers like that, I'll just stick with my onboard Realtek ALC850. Besides with an A64 and GF6 my fps rates are plenty high already :p
that is true.. i am thinking about it. i have that audigy2 right now, but i sure do like the onboard.. and with my window, it just looks cleaner.

Gator
03-16-05, 10:04 AM
that is true.. i am thinking about it. i have that audigy2 right now, but i sure do like the onboard.. and with my window, it just looks cleaner.

There is an easier way to answer this delema... do you use EAX3 and EAX4? If yes, keep the Audigy2. If no, ditch the Audigy2 if you want.

zoomy942
03-16-05, 10:25 AM
i do, but only cause it's there to choose. i dont notice a sound difference.

Gator
03-16-05, 10:49 AM
i do, but only cause it's there to choose. i dont notice a sound difference.

Well then it's strictly a matter of preference at this point. I mean if you already spent the money on the Audigy2 you might as well use it, yes it is better with more capability. But the ALC850 certainly is not a bad card so you won't be disappointed. If exterior appearance means that much to you and you have other issues eatting away at you with the Audigy2 then ditch it. It's your call bro :afro: