PDA

View Full Version : HL2 and Forceware 65.73

Idoru
03-14-05, 12:17 PM
OK, so I've just got round to loading up the copy of HL2 that's been sitting in my in-tray since Christmas... set up Steam.. update game files...<snore>... Ok , so finally arrived in City 17. Looks great, nice and smooth... maybe a little gloomy in the station? Down a corridor and meet Barney... OK, first issue - I walk under a light source, and it suddenly cuts out, like the light has been turned off. Get to first autosave point, into a small brightly lit underground hallway, walk under a light... same thing, it is like the light is turned off as I pass under it.

I'm assuming this is not a gameplay quirk, rather a driver issue.

<edit> Can someone confirm, then I'll upgrade to 67.66.

Thanks.

radial
03-14-05, 12:31 PM
Never heard of that one, but why not go all the way and upgrade to 71.84? Works very well for me in HL2. (crazy)

saturnotaku
03-14-05, 12:40 PM
It could very well be a driver issue because those are comparatively old. The 71.84s work very well for me, and the Extreme-G versions are ever so slightly better still (same performance but better IQ).

Idoru
03-14-05, 12:50 PM
Thanks. Was looking at 67.66 simply because people seem to come back to them again and again as a solid, stable, good IQ driver set. However, it may be that the new 71.84s trump them (no temp bug?)... As for XG drivers, my only qualm is my (no doubt off-beam) impression that they might monkey in an unwelcome fashion with other system settings... a tidbit of (mis)information I picked up in this forum somewhere I seem to recall. Still, everyone seems to love'em, so perhaps the time has come to plunge - even if it is with the XG 67.66bs ;)

Mudcrutch
03-15-05, 01:08 AM
are you over or underclocked? i have read similar problems but the issue was a tweaked cpu or gpu clock.

JRd1st
03-15-05, 05:22 AM
... they might monkey in an unwelcome fashion with other system settings... a tidbit of (mis)information I picked up in this forum somewhere I seem to recall. Still, everyone seems to love'em, so perhaps the time has come to plunge - even if it is with the XG 67.66bs ;)
We used to have a couple of System-wide tweaks, but I prevailed (for once) and got them removed for good. ;) They've been gone for a while now.

One was a menu speedup and the other was a system cache thing that was totally done wrong and therefore harmless and doing absolutely nothing. :D

Idoru
03-15-05, 10:23 AM
Upgraded to 66.77 (vanilla) last night... and rolled back to 65.73 pretty quick. Big problem was that when I attempted to access the nvidia properties via right clicking the desktop, the screen blacked out momentarily (as if changing resolution); also did it 4-5 times at boot up... I believe this is a recognised issue, but can't live with it personally. Seem to remember it happening way back when I had a GeForce 3 and one of the 2x.xx drivers... Next step I guess is 71.84 WHQL or XG... though I still remain concenred about the temp bug and talk of messed up desktop icons for those (like me) with a VIA chipset.

Btw, the weird light on/off effect was present in the 66.77s... I think it is a game/engine issue, made worse by the fact I've just got used to proper lighting/shadowing with Doom 3...may also have been made worse by the fact that I have gamma set at default of 2.2 - lowering it brightens things up (at 2.2 parts of the early station level are virtually pitch black) but dark colours start to look a bit bleached out... is there not a 'lightsource' type cvar that can be tweaked as in D3?

Mudcrutch
03-15-05, 10:37 AM
using 71.84 here and you know whats odd, i get that black out issue when going to nVidia properties like you did.

and oddly enough, when right-clicking on a video file to get its properties it blanks out for a sec.. very strange but i suppsoe i can live with it for now because my 3d performance is rock solid. i am crossing my fingers for a fix next driver release.