PDA

View Full Version : Optical mouse red light and games

Pages : [1] 2

raystone57
12-04-02, 05:08 PM
Thought it would be great to get an optical mouse and not have to clean a damn trackball anymore. So I got an optical mouse but the red sensor light shining out ruins dark and medium dark maps in games, when playing in a darkened room. It happens in these conditions when I pick up the mouse to continue turning in the map. Anyone else get annoyed by that red light in the dark?

It's mostly a singleplayer problem for me. But it could even occassionally, but rarely, ruin a fast multiplayer scene if you were chasing someone in a dark cave and the dumb red light glares out. Or a slow multiplayer scene if you are camped out in a dark area.

I even got the optical mouse without a lot of see thru plastic on the bottom. Just enough to let the red sensor shine through, like the IBM mice. Still shines out way too much, reflecting off the mousepad, desk, table, monitor, books, walls or any damn thing close to the mouse. I only play in the dark a little each day or just a few times a week since it can be bad for the eyes.

Raystone

1.6 p4, 512 mb pc133 sdram
intel d845wn mobo
ati radeon 64 mb 8500
40 gb 5400 maxtor hd
16x dvd rom, 12x10x32x cdrw
nic, cable, on board sound
19" iiyama 450

thcdru2k
12-04-02, 07:37 PM
nope 3 comps with optical mouse with red sensor light..don't really notice it. i don't tend to pick up the mouse to continue turning. curious but what brand do you have? mine automaticallly dim when i left it off the surface. and it doesn't even reflect off the monitor, even when dark.

The Baron
12-04-02, 08:02 PM
Never had a problem with it in the least....

DaveW
12-04-02, 08:36 PM
I can't even see the reflection of my mouse from the position I am sitting. I guess is depends on your desk and how high your monitor is etc.

raystone57
12-04-02, 11:59 PM
I'll check for an optical mouse that dims when picked up. It doesn't seem like my current one, a Logitech optical, does that.

Raystone

The Baron
12-05-02, 12:17 AM
My Logitech dims after about half a second of no movement.... it's not that big of a deal.... Is your entire room made of mirrors or something? ;)

LORD-eX-Bu
12-05-02, 01:38 AM
with my new MX700 I don't notice any light. On my MS Intellimouse Optical tho the whole back of the mouse lights up, as long as you have a good bright monitor you shouldn't be getting any probs man. Besides, I have my case with 2 cold cathodes shinning out of the window facing the side of my monitor. No prob there, make your monitor brighter I guess if you get that prob, or get a new optical mouse. I've never really had a prob, but I guess if you make the image brighter it should help.;)

eL_PuSHeR
12-05-02, 04:38 AM
You're gonna damage your eyes playing in darkened rooms.

LordVampyre
12-05-02, 10:24 AM
shoot Im too busy looking at the game to notice whats happening with the mouse.. and I do play in the dark :)

Blakhart
12-05-02, 10:54 AM
You might increase mouse speed in game.

volt
12-05-02, 11:25 AM
So I got an optical mouse but the red sensor light shining out ruins dark and medium dark maps in games

LMAO (sorry) :D
I thought that was funny. How is that possible?
Maybe your mouse is defective, and it gives more light than it should :confused:

I have never had a problem with my mouse illuminating that much light to actually bother me playing a game. What kind of mouse is it anyway?

raystone57
12-05-02, 12:49 PM
Volt I forgot about my mousepad being light colored vinyl with a pretty hard surface. It even looks reflective from a distance. So I think it's reflecting a good deal of the red light. Pulled out my black mousepad. Much better. Well what do you expect from a radeon user?

Raystone

1.6 ghz p4, Intel d845wn mobo
Radeon 64 mb 8500 retail
Maxtor 40 gb - 5400 rpm, Toshiba 16x40 dvd rom
Creative 12x10x32 cd-rw, 512 mb pc133 sdram
On board sound, 3Com nic/cable, Win XP Home

Mandarb1
12-05-02, 01:09 PM
You could always cover up the plastic and bottom parts (making sure not to cover up the optical lens) with electrical tape... it'd look tacky... but it might work :)

volt
12-05-02, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by raystone57
Volt I forgot about my mousepad being light colored vinyl with a pretty hard surface. It even looks reflective from a distance. So I think it's reflecting a good deal of the red light. Pulled out my black mousepad. Much better. Well what do you expect from a radeon user?

Raystone

1.6 ghz p4, Intel d845wn mobo
Radeon 64 mb 8500 retail
Maxtor 40 gb - 5400 rpm, Toshiba 16x40 dvd rom
Creative 12x10x32 cd-rw, 512 mb pc133 sdram
On board sound, 3Com nic/cable, Win XP Home

THAT makes a difference. But why would people even make such pads? :confused: You probably don't need a light when you doing paper work, just fireup your machine and get some sekzy red light :D

LORD-eX-Bu
12-05-02, 04:05 PM
Do you really need to use a mousepad? I mean, I'm not using one, and its fine. No probs at all. Mouse glides smoothly over my desk.

styles-T
12-05-02, 05:12 PM
you must have a special logitech that shoots 10,000 db of light...

I never noticed a problem with my optical mice...and Ive had a dozen by this time...even have 2 lasers on my current logitech...

Greg
12-09-02, 06:42 AM
My wife used to complain about the red light on the MS Mouse shining in her eye while trying to rest on the couch near the computer. But lights are cool! That's why I have an external modem on the desk! Cool I tell you.

Kruno
12-09-02, 07:39 AM
Deci bels of light? :confused:
How is that possible? :eek:

Originally posted by !plonk*
you must have a special logitech that shoots 10,000 db of light...

I never noticed a problem with my optical mice...and Ive had a dozen by this time...even have 2 lasers on my current logitech...

The Baron
12-09-02, 08:05 AM
it's not. :p

styles-T
12-09-02, 12:02 PM
der..:rolleyes: stupid me...

I meant nm..

I must have been smoking some dank weed when I wrote that..just to think I work with fiber all day long shooting lasers in my eyes..I meant nanometers..bloops

CWB
12-11-02, 03:45 PM
Why does playing in the dark damage your eyes? Thats how I play everything...is there any other way?

StealthHawk
12-11-02, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by CWB
Why does playing in the dark damage your eyes? Thats how I play everything...is there any other way?

because there's not enough light :p

reading with poor light damages your eyesight too.

thcdru2k
12-11-02, 08:07 PM
not enough light is eye-straining

The Baron
12-11-02, 08:09 PM
That's why you need an ULTRA BRIGHT SUPER MONITOR! :p

fishlung
12-11-02, 08:52 PM
I play in a dark room, but I have to wear sunglasses because my monitor is too bright!