PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP x64 edition got RTM date set

AthlonXP1800
03-14-05, 01:50 PM
Windows XP x64 edition will go gold in 2 weeks time on 28 March 2005 (http://bink.nu/Article3605.bink), guess that about 2 months earlier than expected. :D

superklye
03-14-05, 03:16 PM
Isn't it like a year late though?

saturnotaku
03-14-05, 03:40 PM
I would seriously consider buying this if I was confident that all my hardware and software would work. I'm sure drivers would be released eventually, but still there are a couple applications I have where I'm not sure they'd work. Heck, I know Nero hasn't worked on any of the betas so far and I have some older programs and games that would be a question mark as well.

jolle
03-14-05, 04:14 PM
Its a free upgrade if you have a existing XP licens isnt it?
The source isnt the most reliable, but it sounds like its free for XP owners..
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21760

EDIT
And I would expect alot of popular software to be released in 64bit versions when XP64 hits the streets.
there is some out there atm, I got a feeling ALOT of devs have their 64bit versions more or less ready for release, but waiting for windows XP 64 to come out..

superklye
03-14-05, 04:16 PM
Yeah, XP Pro owners get it for free...sucks becuase I have Corporate and that apparently doesn't count. :(

Riptide
03-14-05, 04:34 PM
Yeah so if you have a non retail version then you're screwed?

What about if you have a retail upgrade?

zoomy942
03-14-05, 09:58 PM
i am thinking about going 64... but i gotta see audio drivers and video drvers working out first.

intercede007
03-15-05, 08:14 AM
i am thinking about going 64... but i gotta see audio drivers and video drvers working out first.

Creative and nVidia both have working Windows XP 64 Bit Edition drivers. I know, because I use them daily ;)

zoomy942
03-15-05, 08:21 AM
are they pretty recent releases?

doddsy
03-15-05, 10:43 AM

ive had working 64 bit drivers dricvers for all the essentials on all four builds of xp 64 beta........

note s'far as i k-now.......no retail release.......OEM only..........

there was talk from msft of allowing people to trade xp pro licences for xp 64 licences..........pretty sure the inquirer ran an article to that effect.

Riptide
03-15-05, 11:34 AM
So I ask again... What about current 32bit OEM licenses? What about retail UPGRADES?

Also, I'm not quite as enthusiastic as I once was about this. I may pass it up for a few months because from what I understand there isn't a 64bit DiVX codec (not sure if the 32bit one will work) nor is there a compatible version of Nero.

doddsy
03-15-05, 12:08 PM
So I ask again... What about current 32bit OEM licenses? What about retail UPGRADES?

Also, I'm not quite as enthusiastic as I once was about this. I may pass it up for a few months because from what I understand there isn't a 64bit DiVX codec (not sure if the 32bit one will work) nor is there a compatible version of Nero.

32 bit nero runs just fine on xp 64.

you can't "upgrade" from a 32 bit os to 64 bit...........fresh install required........its a whole diffrunt os. some system builders will have sold 64 bit rigs with the promise of supplying the purchaser with xp 64 when it arrives.........not mine unfortunately.

i'd just love to see a 64 bit game or 64 bit photoshop........see if theres a real noticable performance increase.......

dunno bout the 64 divx codec............burt if there isn't one now, then it won't be long before there is.

all that said, thers no way i'm shellin out for 64 bit windows....i'll stick with my beta rc2 iso for now..........and since i have xp home, i don't get to trade my licence.............maybe if a buy a new rig in a year or two it'll come installed.........although by then we'll all be waitin for longhorn.........(due out in beta soon............i think)

tea.

jolle
03-15-05, 12:33 PM
i'd just love to see a 64 bit game or 64 bit photoshop........see if theres a real noticable performance increase.......

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46649&highlight=riddick+64bit

Riddick ships with WinXP 64bit executables, benches above.

intercede007
03-15-05, 01:11 PM
are they pretty recent releases?

Never had a problem with them. The Creative drivers are Beta; the only thing that really means to you is that there is a time limit. Creative releases new drivers regularly to make sure you aren't stuck though.

Riptide
03-15-05, 06:49 PM
32 bit nero runs just fine on xp 64.
Good to know. Someone said something to me elsewhere that made me think it wasn't going to function. Plus I read the anandtech link on the front page for today and they mentioned having problems back with the betas.
you can't "upgrade" from a 32 bit os to 64 bit...........fresh install required........its a whole diffrunt os. some system builders will have sold 64 bit rigs with the promise of supplying the purchaser with xp 64 when it arrives.........not mine unfortunately.
Yes I know you can't upgrade and would have to reinstall from scratch. What I meant was, if you have a RETAIL copy of XP32 Upgrade can you use that license to get your copy of XP64 or not? Also, if you have an OEM license then you are outta luck? God it's going to cost me $300 to get this thing??? That SUCKS.
Ditto.
dunno bout the 64 divx codec............burt if there isn't one now, then it won't be long before there is.
Yeah your probably right.
all that said, thers no way i'm shellin out for 64 bit windows....If it's a $300 cost to upgrade (retail xp32) then forget it. To hell with that.

superklye
03-15-05, 06:57 PM
Not that I'm condoning or implying anything here--just merely stating...but, Rip, you don't HAVE to pay for anything...

Riptide
03-15-05, 08:13 PM
Do you honestly think I've paid for my current copy? ;)

Seriously, I was looking forward to going legit w/a purchased copy of 64. I'm even willing to fork over $150 for it, but not three hundred. Screw that.

superklye
03-15-05, 08:22 PM
Do you honestly think I've paid for my current copy? ;)

Seriously, I was looking forward to going legit w/a purchased copy of 64. I'm even willing to fork over $150 for it, but not three hundred. Screw that.
hehe, i agree. :)

AthlonXP1800
03-31-05, 01:25 PM
It now... gone GOLD!!! :D

Also today, Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition were released to manufacturing and will be available through various partners in late April.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/mar05/03-30winservsp1pr.asp

http://neowin.net/comments.php?id=27712&category=main#comments

zoomy942
03-31-05, 01:28 PM
thats awesome. i am currently installing the RC2 version to play around with it for a whiel

Riptide
04-12-05, 09:47 AM
Well I found a copy of XP Pro SP2 retail for about as reasonable a price as I've seen so far. Still seems kinda pricey to me compared to SUSE for instance. But anyway...

This version would allow me to load XP64 yes?
http://www.ebargainsoftware.com/wixpprospfur.html

Also, do you guys know when Longhorn is supposed to be out? Is it still a couple years or more away?

One more question... Would an XP Pro retail upgrade work as well? Could I use that to load XP64 or does it need to be the full version?

Rakeesh
04-12-05, 10:53 AM
FWIW, realtek has been offering 64-bit drivers for all of their cards for some time now.

Riptide
04-12-05, 11:13 AM
Yep I noticed that on their site. Now if only I could find out if you need the full version of XP Pro retail or if a retail upgrade will do in order to be eligible to get XP64.