PDA

View Full Version : Where's the socket 754 nforce4 motherboards?

Pages : [1] 2

skoprowski
03-14-05, 02:51 PM
Anybody know when we will see socket 754 nforce4 motherboards? I expected to see announcements at CEBIT but was suprised not to see any other than Foxconn.

superklye
03-14-05, 03:07 PM
Socket 754 is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

jAkUp
03-14-05, 04:13 PM
Yes, I really doubt we will see much 754 nForce 4 mobos

Serrasalmus
03-14-05, 05:43 PM
i dont know why 754 is dead its a good chip but thats the way things go i guess......

superklye
03-14-05, 05:57 PM
No on-chip memory controller and no support whatsoever for dual channel memory really sucks.

skoprowski
03-14-05, 07:36 PM
No on-chip memory controller and no support whatsoever for dual channel memory really sucks.

What!? I don't consider my 3400 slow at all- the 754 chips DO have a memory controller built in- it's just single channel.

Absolution
03-14-05, 08:22 PM
check on the nvidia website, for a long time they've had the mb descriptions on it and they had no plans for any version of a 754 socket mb and i dont see why they would as if your getting an nf4 your probably looking to be high end with sli or at least pci-e

jAkUp
03-14-05, 08:58 PM
Yea, I'f I'm remembering correctly, the plans are to discontinue socket 754...

Filibuster
03-14-05, 09:37 PM
I think it is a good thing they are trying to go to only one socket...it is a big pain to have to deal with multiple sockets. We specifically waited for socket 939 so we didn't have multiple cpu sockets to deal with at work.

Performancewise there isn't a big difference (on the desktop) between single/dual channel memory on Athlon 64 because the memory controller is already so efficient.

If I was going to switch from an AGP system to a PCIe system I'd probably just buy a new CPU anyway - the cost is already going to be high. If I was building a new Nforce4 system I'd just spend the little extra money and get socket 939 anyway. Either way you look at it there isn't much reason for AMD to keep it around.

superklye
03-14-05, 10:52 PM
What!? I don't consider my 3400 slow at all- the 754 chips DO have a memory controller built in- it's just single channel.
I didn't say it was slow, I said it sucked.

FastM
03-14-05, 11:47 PM

Its better then whats in your sig... ;)

So if 754 is gonna die out then Sempron's will also become all s939?

Filibuster
03-15-05, 07:05 AM

I don't see why not. I didn't think a socket 939 cpu would work at all without dual channel but we tried it with one piece of ram and it worked fine, so Sempron should be ok even if it just supports only single channel.

superklye
03-15-05, 07:09 AM

Gosh, now I'm upset.

:rolleyes2

I think you're still no understanding my post: I'm not saying that socket 754 sucks, I'm saying that it has no dual channel memory controller sucks.

Filibuster
03-15-05, 07:14 AM
Gosh, now I'm upset.

:rolleyes2

I think you're still no understanding my post: I'm not saying that socket 754 sucks, I'm saying that it has no dual channel memory controller sucks.

You're saying something sucks because you don't like it (which is fine) and not because of performance issues.
Thats fine I don't like socket 754 either. :) It reminds me of the socket 423 Pentium 4, or socket 4 for Pentium.

superklye
03-15-05, 04:06 PM
You're saying something sucks because you don't like it (which is fine) and not because of performance issues.
Thats fine I don't like socket 754 either. :) It reminds me of the socket 423 Pentium 4, or socket 4 for Pentium.
I can't see how something not having a dual channel memory controller either on-chip or on-board would NOT suck and that's not because of personal preference but because of performance issues.

Sure, DC isn't that much faster, but it's a 3-5% increase, which is a performance drop, so how can you honestly say that I think 754 sucks for personal reasons when I have stated I think it sucks for performance reasons?

Filibuster
03-15-05, 04:20 PM
I can't see how something not having a dual channel memory controller either on-chip or on-board would NOT suck and that's not because of personal preference but because of performance issues.

Sure, DC isn't that much faster, but it's a 3-5% increase, which is a performance drop, so how can you honestly say that I think 754 sucks for personal reasons when I have stated I think it sucks for performance reasons?

Oh I agree with you, but nowhere in this thread did you say it sucks for performance reasons until now. Just read everything you wrote...you're contradicting yourself now. Just based on what you wrote it seems like you just have a thing against socket 754, which I agree with - I think it was a bad idea to create a socket which was clearly planned obsolescence. I'm not attacking you I'm just uncertain why you are writing one thing and then getting mad about it.

tristancarton
03-15-05, 04:23 PM
nf4 s754 won't ever be accepted as standard. that being said nf3 is just about as good as the nf4 chipset and the new graphics cards are coming out in agp. lastly s754 while not ideal still has plenty of life. amd has just announced 90nm sse3 1mb cache turion strained silicon chips for the mobile a64 market. these chips should work in desktop motherboards and will probably overclock like demons. amd has also shown off and speculated on dual core s754 turions. once again as long as mobile stays s754 (which it will till the m2 socket comes out) you will be fine. oh yeah and lastly, yes dual channel is faster but with an integrated memory on chip the difference is not that big and can be offset by a faster cpu. (look at reviews of the s754 3400 newcastle vs the s939 3500)

superklye
03-15-05, 04:32 PM
Oh I agree with you, but nowhere in this thread did you say it sucks for performance reasons until now. Just read everything you wrote...you're contradicting yourself now. Just based on what you wrote it seems like you just have a thing against socket 754, which I agree with - I think it was a bad idea to create a socket which was clearly planned obsolescence. I'm not attacking you I'm just uncertain why you are writing one thing and then getting mad about it.
What posts are you reading? I talked about the memory controller for the entire thread stating that's why it sucked.
:wtf:

$n][pErMan
03-15-05, 04:37 PM
No on-chip memory controller and no support whatsoever for dual channel memory really sucks.^His 2nd post... right after the 1st one where he said it was dead.

What posts are you reading? I talked about the memory controller for the entire thread stating that's why it suckedSee above comment :)

Conclusion:
Socket 754 sucks because is has no on-chip memory controller and no support whatsoever for dual channel memory and socket 939 is where everything is going for AMD 64's :cool:

superklye
03-15-05, 05:16 PM
[pErMan']^His 2nd post... right after the 1st one where he said it was dead.

See above comment :)

Conclusion:
Socket 754 sucks because is has no on-chip memory controller and no support whatsoever for dual channel memory and socket 939 is where everything is going for AMD 64's :cool:
I think you're agreeing with me and not the people disagreeing with me, so thanks.

I think.

tristancarton
03-15-05, 05:39 PM
socket 754s do have an on chip memory controller however it is only a 64bit single channel controller. (unlike the dual channel s939 on chip controller) this equates to around half the memory bandwidth however the single channel on chip is still very fast and the doubling of memory performance only increases overall speed by 3-5.

[pErMan']Socket 754 sucks because is has no on-chip memory controller and no support whatsoever for dual channel memory and socket 939 is where everything is going for AMD 64's :cool:

Filibuster
03-15-05, 09:17 PM
What posts are you reading? I talked about the memory controller for the entire thread stating that's why it sucked.
:wtf:

If the single vs dual channel performance was the same (which its not, I know, but its very close) then why would simply being single channel make something suck?

Thats all I'm saying, and up until halfway through this you didn't say anything specifically about performance, just "it sucks because its not dual channel". I don't immediately associate a 3-5% performance difference with the word "suck" so I assumed you meant another reason.

I thought you were just saying you didn't like socket 754 because it is a bastard child (which it is) and I am agreeing with that. I was trying to support what I thought you meant, but I also agree with the fact that the performance is not as good, as clearly this is the case.

I am agreeing with you on both points , even if you actually were only really making one of them...see what I mean now? Peace bro! :afro2: I think I'm clear now. Sorry for the confusion.

rflair
03-15-05, 10:04 PM
DFI said something about an NF4 socket 754 mobo, but haven't heard much in a while. Asus has an SiS chipset board thats 754 with pci-e.

The whole thing about saying socket 754 sucks is idiotic, especially coming from people who don't even own either AMD64 setup. Plus I don't think I ever heard anyone say socket 754 AMD64's sucked.

Plus socket 754 still has a life, AMD will be releasing mobile chips which are socket 754 and 90nm and some with 1M cache and of coarse faster clock speeds. Still if your setup is going to be new socket 939 is the more logical choice.

superklye
03-15-05, 10:38 PM
The whole thing about saying socket 754 sucks is idiotic, especially coming from people who don't even own either AMD64 setup. Plus I don't think I ever heard anyone say socket 754 AMD64's sucked.
I said it sucked. Numerous times.

So because I don't own something, that means I can't comment on it? I don't own a celeron, but I say and will continue to say they suck. I don't own a Ford and I say and will continue to say they suck. I don't have a Mac and I think they suck, too.

So ****ing what if I don't have an A64 setup? The simple fact that AMD has hung the line out to dry says enough to me that socket 754 sucks.

Buying a socket 754 A64 is probably the dumbest thing you could do for someone going the A64 route. The platform was dying before it launched and the fact that it has severely limited upgradability partnered with lack of dual channel and 100% for-sure PCIe support, what's the point? People doing normal day-to-day tasks that don't need dual channel RAM let alone PCIe support don't even need a 64-bit processor. Not yet at least. The A64 line is almost exclusively for enthusiasts and buying something that doesn't allow enthusiasts to be enthusiasts is stupid.

But that's me, and I don't own an A64 setup, so what I say really doesn't matter anyway. :rolleyes2: I'd rather be stuck with my Athlon XP setup then ever have to have a socket 754 based machine.

stevemedes
03-15-05, 11:02 PM
"But that's me, and I don't own an A64 setup, so what I say really doesn't matter anyway. : I'd rather be stuck with my Athlon XP setup then ever have to have a socket 754 based machine."

Wow, you're frickin retarded. I got a 120$ S754 2800+ paired with a 75$ chaintech VNF3-250 and its hitting 2.43 on stock HSF. The appeal of S754 is for people on a BUDGET. You cannot say it sucks at all because my system flies. Also, saying you'd rather have an AXP than an A64 is just lame. :rolleyes: Also, everyones saying S754 is dead... haha thats ok when I have a 90nm 1MB cache SSE3 cpu that oc'es a hell of a lot farther than any S939 cpu...

O and... THE DARKNESS... SUCKS!! and im saying that because ive actually listened to them. :afro: