PDA

View Full Version : nFORCE3 Ultra or nFORCE4 SLi?

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
03-14-05, 07:00 PM
I'm really torn and I have to decide SOON. My birthday is 3 weeks 2 weeks from Saturday, so I need to give my parents a list of what to get me.

I want to get an A64 system and have been tossing around ideas about how to spend the $750 I get from my company to spend on whatever I want. I was hoping to get my parents to get me the mobo for my birthday and then buy the new CPU and (if I go SLi) a PCIe 6800GT.

But, is it worth it right now? Should I just get an nFORCE3 Ultra and keep my current AGP 6800GT until the next nVIDIA card comes out/SLi mobos come down in price?

What do you guys think?

Dr.Nick
03-14-05, 09:20 PM
I would just get the mobo/cpu and reuse the 6800GT agp :)

JoKeRr
03-14-05, 09:25 PM
i want u the get the NF4 SLI b/c I'm evil!!

BrianG
03-14-05, 09:28 PM
Well, I just priced out a MSI dual 6600GT, MSI SLI board and A64 3200 for $728 at Newegg. Just food for thought...

You could also just get one eVGA 6800GT for now ($748), put your AGP card and mobo on ebay and buy the second card later after you sell. More food for thought...

Heh.

superklye
03-14-05, 10:44 PM
Well, I'm not too concerned with SLi at the moment, I would just like the opportunity to have it later on.

And I don't want to sell this machine because I just got it and it's great. I would love to turn this into a media center PC (which would destroy everything with a 6800GT...maybe?) if I were to go the nFORCE4 route.

The great thing about nFORCE3 though, is that, as I said, I can keep the AGP card for now.

Though, I suppose I could get an eVGA 6600GT PCIe and then do the step-up later...hmm...

It's a tough call! :-\

jAkUp
03-14-05, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't say to get the single 6600gt right now... you will have a slower gaming system then you currently have.

Pick up a single nForce board (MSI,ASUS or DFI) and a single 6800GT. Also, remember that if you get 2 6600gt's you will still only have 128mb of texture memory, on a 128bit memory bus. Not to mention you will be on only 8 pixel pipelines. Stick with the single 6800GT.

superklye
03-14-05, 10:52 PM
Well, the 6600GT would just be a placeholder until I could trade up to the GT.

So you guys really think I should go nFORCE4 SLi route, huh?

Which board then?

zoomy942
03-14-05, 10:57 PM
i would go nforce 3 ultra. the only difference between that and the nforce 4 is sata2 and pcix. that 6800gt is a trooper. thats what keeps me from going SLI. i want to sooooo bad but the cost is too high. and my 6800 beats up on the 6600SLI. although having SLI sure is cool. i would go nforce 3 ultra and keep your 6800... she still has alot of life in her.

superklye
03-14-05, 11:01 PM
That's what I'm thinking, too, Paul. Thanks for the support...I'm leaning more and more toward that now, because nFORCE3 boards are pretty cheap and this'll hold me over until next year (January) when I can get an nFORCE4 SLi board after the technology has had time to mature more and not cost so damned much.

Plus there might be a new GeFORCE card out, further driving the prices of the 6800 line down.

nFORCE3 Ultra has 2 SATA ports, which is fantastic, it's got the hardware firewall and I can still use my soundcard, 6800GT and a TV tuner should I end up getting one.

EDIT: plus, it looks the Epox EP-9NDA3J has RAID 0 and 1 for IDE drives built in, which is hella sweet, too.

jAkUp
03-14-05, 11:08 PM
That Epox board is an awesome mobo. My buds overclocks like crazy

superklye
03-14-05, 11:11 PM
So that would be the one to get?

Christ, it costs like $5 more than the NF7-S rev. 2 :eek:

zoomy942
03-14-05, 11:27 PM
i have always been an eopx man. the board you mentioned is the one i have. and i love it. i had a gigabyte baord, which was okay. but i have never ever gone too far away from epox. they have been amazingly stable and i have never had troubles.

i think your line of thinking works well considering things are going to be changing soon with GPU's and SLI ad all that. i'll jump into pcix next year somtime, but since the nforce3 is such a great chip.. and the nforce 4 proves it cause nvidia didnt change much from the nforce3 to the nforce4, i would stick with nforce 3 till later on when we all see what SLI is really capable of.

superklye
03-14-05, 11:39 PM
Alright man, you've convinced me. :)

And the 1GB (2x512) PC3200 Corsair Value Select is down to like $99 on NewEgg now, so I can grab two more of those and have 2GB. :)

zoomy942
03-15-05, 06:55 AM
Alright man, you've convinced me. :)

And the 1GB (2x512) PC3200 Corsair Value Select is down to like $99 on NewEgg now, so I can grab two more of those and have 2GB. :)

i was thinking about doing thT TOO!

superklye
03-15-05, 07:55 AM
i was thinking about doing thT TOO!
haha, jolly good!

zoomy942
03-15-05, 08:46 AM
but will the athlon 64 winchester's run at ddr400 with 4 sticks of double sided ram?

sytaylor
03-15-05, 08:48 AM
jolly good!

:wtf:

Gnu_Raiz
03-15-05, 11:58 AM
haha, jolly good!

I was just at monarch computer and they have a nice gigabyte combo that might be of interest.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=110441

# VPU Dual Geforce 6600 GT(NV43 GT)
# Core Clock 500MHz
# Mem Clock 1120MHz
# Mem Size 256MB
# Mem Bus 256bit
# Card Bus PCIEx16
# Pixel Pipeline 8x2
# Mem Type 8x32-1.6 GDDR3

Of course this is not a bad deal, its going for $555.00 it might not be the best board but I think has the geek factor way up their. It might not compete with a 6800 gt, but gets you into the sli setup.

Gnu_Raiz

superklye
03-15-05, 01:22 PM
:wtf:
I was hoping you'd catch that. ;)

technews
03-15-05, 01:29 PM
for the time being NF3 is a better choice, more stable..
NF4 does not give you any advantage and it is more expensive and unstable

unless you are 100% sure you'll go for SLI there is no other reason to get NF4

superklye
03-15-05, 04:51 PM
for the time being NF3 is a better choice, more stable..
NF4 does not give you any advantage and it is more expensive and unstable

unless you are 100% sure you'll go for SLI there is no other reason to get NF4
I'm 100% sure I'm going to go SLi...I just don't have the money for it currently, and I still don't think the benefits are worth the price, considering my max resolution on both monitors is 1280x1024....I would see no real benefit from two 6800GTs.

I can play every game at 1280x1024 w/4xAA and 16xAF without a problem.

superklye
03-15-05, 11:31 PM
but will the athlon 64 winchester's run at ddr400 with 4 sticks of double sided ram?
Why wouldn't it?

Gator
03-16-05, 10:07 AM
6800GT AGP is a damn fine card, if I were you I'd get a cheap NF3U motherboard and call it a day. I say cheap because that way you won't feel guilty later if you want a new generation PCIE video card and need to change the motherboard for it. Basically you either spend money now, or spend it later. I'd rather spend it later when you actually need PCIE, because afterall their is practically no difference in performance between the 6800GT AGP and PCIE versions, and because these days mobos are cheaper than video cards. ;)

As for SLI... aside from synthetic benchmarks it appears to be a little buggy. Personally I'd rather wait till they get all the kinks out first :cool:

zoomy942
03-16-05, 10:45 AM
6800GT AGP is a damn fine card, if I were you I'd get a cheap NF3U motherboard and call it a day. I say cheap because that way you won't feel guilty later if you want a new generation PCIE video card and need to change the motherboard for it. Basically you either spend money now, or spend it later. I'd rather spend it later when you actually need PCIE, because afterall their is practically no difference in performance between the 6800GT AGP and PCIE versions, and because these days mobos are cheaper than video cards. ;)

As for SLI... aside from synthetic benchmarks it appears to be a little buggy. Personally I'd rather wait till they get all the kinks out first :cool:
i couldnt agree more. the 6800gt is an amazing card. i will be sad the day i get rid of mine. and SLI is awesome. i would love to have it, and its interesting to read people post around here with SLI setups; to hear about the games that fly, and the games that you have to jury-rig into working. it's all neat. i am sure i will get SLI sooner or later, but i would rather just wait around till they clean up the bugs in it. but the bugs arent anything surprising. sure Nvidia tests it before it gets released, but there are so many different pc types out ther and different game settings. you think SLI is amazing now? just wait till they work out the kinks and it will melt some faces! :):)

superklye
03-16-05, 01:36 PM
i couldnt agree more. the 6800gt is an amazing card. i will be sad the day i get rid of mine. and SLI is awesome. i would love to have it, and its interesting to read people post around here with SLI setups; to hear about the games that fly, and the games that you have to jury-rig into working. it's all neat. i am sure i will get SLI sooner or later, but i would rather just wait around till they clean up the bugs in it. but the bugs arent anything surprising. sure Nvidia tests it before it gets released, but there are so many different pc types out ther and different game settings. you think SLI is amazing now? just wait till they work out the kinks and it will melt some faces! :):)
I agree completely and this is why I've decided to go the NF3 route, getting the same board you've got (assuming the 'rents get it for me for my birthday) and keeping what I've got for now.

I'll get a 3000+ probably, OC it to 2.0 or 2.2GHz and he happy until the next generation of SLi comes out (maybe 6-12 months?) with better performance, bug fixes and hopefully cheaper prices for video cards.

And why wouldn't the CPU be able to use 4 sticks of double-sided RAM?