PDA

View Full Version : 6800Gt clock speed problem ?

firthy
03-16-05, 06:08 PM
I had an FX5900Ultra running on the 61.45 drivers and I have now upgraded to a Leadtek 6800Gt card. I didn't bother with uninstalling the drivers and I just reinstalled the 61.45's with the new 6800Gt card.

I activated Coolbits and when I checked the clock speeds they were set at 350/900 instead of 350/1000. The problem is I could not get the clock speeds any higher as it failed the test when I increased the memory speed. I even tried detecting the optimal clock speeds but they still came out within 1-2mhz at 350/900

So I uninstalled the 61.45 drivers and di a fresh install of the 71.90WHQL drivers, but the problem is exactly the same, clock speeds are stuck at 350/900 and won'r clock any higher.

Games run fine without any problems and the card is still quick but what am I doing wrong, why won't the card run at default clock speeds of 350/1000.

PikachuMan
03-16-05, 06:12 PM
Are you sure you didn't buy a 6800gt 'lite', where the advertised clock speed is actually 350/900?

firthy
03-16-05, 07:31 PM
Don't think so, it's the Leadtek WinFast A400 GT TDH and they don't do a light version of that as far as I know.

watever
03-16-05, 07:34 PM
actually leadtek does have a 6800 gt lite....

firthy
03-16-05, 07:42 PM
Aaahhhh !!!!

Cheers, I've just done a search and come up with this, so it looks like you were right, at least that's put my mind at rest.

http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/winfast_a400gt_tdh_c350_1.html

Cream
03-16-05, 07:54 PM
It's a disgrace how these companies can rip people off by adding or taking away a couple of letters. You have to be so careful.

TeaEtchSee
03-16-05, 09:26 PM
AHAH, return it :) RMA tell them u want a full GT :)

garikfox
03-16-05, 10:07 PM
"One, Who Kknows computers/video cards will learn to make things work if all possible. Only samrt ones will get there hardware working without RMA'ing it all the time."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(Garik,1:1)

Cream
03-17-05, 05:00 AM
I don't think it's anything to be with being smart. The poor guy's been sold a cut down version of the card.
I know I would be annoyed if I went out to buy a Focus RS turbo to find out that they took the standard engine out and pout in a 1.8 instead. Especially when they change the standard name to hide the fact they have done it.

I mean what the hell is a WinFast A400 GT TDH

why not just call it a WinFast 6800GT lite

what's TDH meant to stand for?

It's all done to confuse the customer. I have so many people asking me what card to buy because they get lost as to the spec of cards. It's a con.

firthy
03-17-05, 06:17 AM
Unfortunately I'm hooked on Ebay and am obviously a bit of a mug.

Bought this card on Ebay and unfortunatley it wasn't misdescribed as even Leadtek call it a 6800GT, the person that sold it might not have even been aware it was the Lite version or even have known what the clock speeds were.

Never mind, the card is working fine and is still very fast, lesson learnt though, do my homewrok in future.

I'm going to have a bigger disappointment soon though as I bough an asus 6800GT on Ebay for my other computer, but when I actually read the decription in detail (after I'd paid) it never stated how much memory it had, all it said was 256 Bit memory interface and there was a performance graph shown for Doom 3 where it came second to the 6800 Ultra. This was highlighted but the performance graph was for a generic 6800GT which as weall know has 256mb.

I wasn't even aware that there was a 128mb 6800GT until I started searching the net for info about this clock speed problem. I will return the card and ask for a refund or partial refund if I keep it. I think it will become messy though as he'll say it never stated it had 256mm memory.

It was still deliberately misleading though because he should have stated it only had 128mb, he was very clever slipping in the 256 Bit memory interface and the graph for the generic card. I paid through Paypal and might have to let them arbitrate, watch this space.

Cheers for the replies.

Firthy

Greg
03-17-05, 06:47 PM
I'm seeing this time and time again, and it really isn't the customers fault for being mislead. Way too much research is required to make an informed decision, particularly for brands with confusing model numbers. At least you didn't buy a Geforce4mx thinking you were getting a Geforce4 series card.

TeaEtchSee
03-18-05, 01:51 PM
was it adveritised as CLOCK SPEED 350/1000?

give your seller a bad score :)

NemesisChild
03-18-05, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately I'm hooked on Ebay and am obviously a bit of a mug.

Bought this card on Ebay and unfortunatley it wasn't misdescribed as even Leadtek call it a 6800GT, the person that sold it might not have even been aware it was the Lite version or even have known what the clock speeds were.

Never mind, the card is working fine and is still very fast, lesson learnt though, do my homewrok in future.

I'm going to have a bigger disappointment soon though as I bough an asus 6800GT on Ebay for my other computer, but when I actually read the decription in detail (after I'd paid) it never stated how much memory it had, all it said was 256 Bit memory interface and there was a performance graph shown for Doom 3 where it came second to the 6800 Ultra. This was highlighted but the performance graph was for a generic 6800GT which as weall know has 256mb.

I wasn't even aware that there was a 128mb 6800GT until I started searching the net for info about this clock speed problem. I will return the card and ask for a refund or partial refund if I keep it. I think it will become messy though as he'll say it never stated it had 256mm memory.

It was still deliberately misleading though because he should have stated it only had 128mb, he was very clever slipping in the 256 Bit memory interface and the graph for the generic card. I paid through Paypal and might have to let them arbitrate, watch this space.

Cheers for the replies.

Firthy

That's really terrible, I feel bad for you Firthy!
I've always gone by the "Buyer Beware" rule myself!
This is why I'll never buy anything sight unseen, especially from 3rd parties!

john19055
03-19-05, 05:58 PM
I don't trust Ebay with nothing I bought one thing from them and I got burned so thats the last time ,and most of them that sells a 6800GT knows damm well if it is a lite version they are selling.

Marcos
03-20-05, 09:32 PM
i dont trust ebay as far as i can throw it, and i dont think thats physically possible. Unless i got ahold of the main server or something....