PDA

View Full Version : 4ms~5ms Access Time 19" LCD

Pages : [1] 2

Clay
03-16-05, 08:31 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1776545,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

Beginning in the second quarter, Viewsonic Corp. said it will ship a pair of LCD monitors with 4-millisecond response designed for high-performance gaming.

According to the Viewsonic web site, the company will ship two monitors: the 19-inch VX924, as well as the 17-inch VX724. Prices on the panels were not announced, although Viewsonic's vice president of Asia-Pacific sales and marketing, Allan Chang, told DigiTimes that the larger panel will cost approximately $549. Both monitors will ship in May and June, respectively.

Viewsonic is quoting 4-ms gray-to-gray response times for the two new monitors, along with a 5-ms (typical) response time for other gradations. The company already ships a pair of LCD monitors with 8-ms response times, the VP171b and VP171s, and plans to ship a third model, the VP191b, in the near future. Rival BenQ announced a 17-inch panel featuring a 5-ms response time, the FP71V+, in mid-February.

jAkUp
03-16-05, 08:42 PM
4ms :drooling:

superklye
03-16-05, 08:43 PM
4ms :drooling:
cha...that is nice.

Clay
03-16-05, 08:51 PM
4ms for gray-to-gray. But, still 5ms for color is drool-a-rific. :D Especially considering this is on a 19"!!! Most 19" LCDs have very slow response times.

superklye
03-16-05, 08:54 PM
It really sucks that it isn't 1600x1200, though. I don't understand why 19" monitors aren't. :mad:

jAkUp
03-16-05, 08:54 PM
Got a contrast ratio spec? But hell 5ms for 19" is damn impressive

Nevermind, found it. 800:1 is awesome as well

superklye
03-16-05, 09:00 PM
What does the contrast ratio mean exactly?

Absolution
03-16-05, 09:18 PM
dam and i just bought my viewsonic vp912b with 12ms :( oh well, still impressed

GlowStick
03-16-05, 09:22 PM
This is intresting news. But ive noticed that suddenly responce times have 'magicly droped' to near nothing in a very short period of time.

Since it seems almost all review sites have to do it opion tested (wtich seems to be the only way) how do we really know these are the times? We alrady know there is no ISO standard for a responce time on a lcd. Proof please?

Clay
03-16-05, 09:25 PM
This is intresting news. But ive noticed that suddenly responce times have 'magicly droped' to near nothing in a very short period of time.

Since it seems almost all review sites have to do it opion tested (wtich seems to be the only way) how do we really know these are the times? We alrady know there is no ISO standard for a responce time on a lcd. Proof please?
Very good question you raise there. Also, response times can be reported wildly deceptively I've read. Also, response times alone aren't the bottom line when it comes to ghosting. I need to read up more on this. As you can see I'm just barely recalling what I've read up on so far. :D

cooliscool
03-16-05, 09:26 PM
... wow.

H-street
03-17-05, 12:25 AM
yes you need to be careful when companies talk about response time..

a good rule of thumb is to get used to reading response times as RISE+FALL..

like my BenHQ 19".. its response time is 16 but its rise+fall is 4+12..

many clever marketing companies could claim my monitor has a 4ms response time and only be talking about the rise.. where the fall is 12ms..

although i don't doubt it is is really 4 or 5 (probably 1+4) ms.. it would just be nice to know what the detailed specs are.

FastM
03-17-05, 12:52 AM
What does the contrast ratio mean exactly?

Pretty much how many shades of black it can show, the higher the number the blacker the blacks.

RealLifePixelShader
03-17-05, 12:55 AM
So if I may ask what is the reponse time of a normal CRT? compared to the 4ms LCD

jAkUp
03-17-05, 01:03 AM
I'm fairly sure a normal CRT does not have a response time... since it uses cathode ray tubes.... so 0ms

Marcos
03-17-05, 06:42 AM
Bernie Mac's contrast ratio is 2000:1

ENU291
03-17-05, 08:56 AM
Bernie Mac's contrast ratio is 2000:1

Some people might find your attempts at humor offensive.

CaptNKILL
03-17-05, 09:40 AM
That was kinda funny though :p

Ninjaman09
03-17-05, 09:50 AM
Some people should grow thicker skin then.

I just picked up a new Samsung 915n, an 8ms 19" panel. I had a 712n, a 12ms 17 inch. I have noticed a rather large difference in certain games, especially Half-Life 2, which had fair amounts of ghosting before. On the new panel, there is no ghosting that I can percieve. I'm sure it's not up to CRT standards on paper but the image quality is extremely sharp, the colors are very vibrant, and I can see no ghosting at all. I have always been under the impression that faster response times = lower overall IQ, but this is just not true with this panel. Strangely enough, contrary to what Tom's Hardware says, the interpolation in lower-than-native resolutions is extraordinary and I wouldn't hesitate to run 1024x768 or even 800x600 if the situation demanded it. I'm gonna be hanging on to this monitor for a few years at least. :D

Clay
03-17-05, 10:16 AM
Some people should grow thicker skin then.Yes, perhaps. Let's all not get too off track on this though...but I will throw this out there. Would there have been a similar retort if someone said the following instead?

Carrot Top's contrast ratio is 2000:1

?

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/6784/carrottop4xo.jpg

Ninjaman09
03-17-05, 10:32 AM
Yes, perhaps. Let's all not get too off track on this though...but I will throw this out there. Would there have been a similar retort if someone said the following instead?

Carrot Top's contrast ratio is 2000:1

?

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/6784/carrottop4xo.jpg
Hahahah, what a horrible picture! :D

And a good question. A very good question.

And LCD monitors now are better than CRTs in every way, IMO.

Riptide
03-19-05, 08:54 AM
Hmm... I know they say 5ms for color but still this is kinda interesting.

For those excited about that Viewsonic 4ms LCD: Be aware that the technology they're using is nothing revolutionary and in fact the screens are pretty much the same. All they're changing (and by they, I mean all LCD manufacturers, including BenQ, Samsung, etc...) is having the electronic controller onboard the LCD increase the voltage (i.e. from 1V to 1.2V), so the crystal can move faster due to an increase in the magnetic field. However, this is not applied to all colors and so the 4ms is actually 4ms for GtoG. This time certainly doesn't give the whole picture, and can be misleading. So beware.

Here's where I got all this info... That site is a long-standing reputable French hardware site. Scroll down to the "Overdrive" heading. What they conclude is that Overdrive doesn't really do much in terms of practical results.

Here's the link to the french site he mentions.
http://www.hardware.fr/html/news/cat22/page2.html
You'll have to translate ofcourse.

GlowStick
03-19-05, 12:59 PM
Hmm... I know they say 5ms for color but still this is kinda interesting.

Here's the link to the french site he mentions.
http://www.hardware.fr/html/news/cat22/page2.html
You'll have to translate ofcourse.
Yeah, i suspected that was takeing place. A clanmate of mine (who works for a chip company in canada*) was talking about that in technical detail. Basicly it works, and he personly overvolted his 20" dell way beyond spec.

*not ATi

Riptide
03-19-05, 01:00 PM
It might have worked for him but this begs the question: if it is so easy as just overvolting then why aren't they doing it already and selling them as 5ms units? Probably because it shortens the lifespan of the display and/or causes other problems. That is unless it's designed to handle it from the outset anyway. I'm guessing your friend is pressing his luck with that 20" Dell.

GlowStick
03-19-05, 01:03 PM
It might have worked for him but this begs the question: if it is so easy as just overvolting then why aren't they doing it already and selling them as 5ms units? Probably because it shortens the lifespan of the display and/or causes other problems. That is unless it's designed to handle it from the outset anyway. I'm guessing your friend is pressing his luck with that 20" Dell.
Oh yeah, it shortens the life of the lcd. Like like all overclocking :x

If i were to guess, its probly more of a 'we dont want to warrenty it' than 'we cant make it' issue for overvolting lcds heh.