PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to buy my first LCD Screen!Help

Pages : [1] 2

gate1975mlm
03-17-05, 10:15 AM
Getting ready to buy my first LCD Screen!Help

Hey guys I am ready to buy my first LCD screen for my PC. I want a 19 inch screen. I am willing to spend upto $500 really don't want to spend more then that. I want a monitor that will have NO ghosting at all when playing games. And also want it to be good for watching DVD's. And also I want the text to be nice and sharp. And last I want the color to be very Vibrant! Something that makes you saw WoW. I have heard some monitors are too bright and are not good if you use them all day. I would not want that.

Thanks

Daneel Olivaw
03-17-05, 10:19 AM
the BenQ FP937-D 19" LCD Monitor
for 600$ Can, so 480 US$

Rumored to have a shorter life than some, but the best picture quality

Ninjaman09
03-17-05, 10:54 AM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-179-014&depa=0

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-185&depa=0

I just got the latter because of a free shipping deal they were running earlier this week. Either way, both of these panels are extremely good, fast, well-priced, and definitely worth a gander. Don't worry about the lack of DVI in the Samsung panel as it has no noticable effect on IQ. If it really bugs you and you just can't live without it, go with the ImageQuest. Other than that the panels are the same.

gate1975mlm
03-17-05, 11:38 AM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-179-014&depa=0

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-185&depa=0

I just got the latter because of a free shipping deal they were running earlier this week. Either way, both of these panels are extremely good, fast, well-priced, and definitely worth a gander. Don't worry about the lack of DVI in the Samsung panel as it has no noticable effect on IQ. If it really bugs you and you just can't live without it, go with the ImageQuest. Other than that the panels are the same.

I always thought DVI made the picture much better.

Ninjaman09
03-17-05, 12:23 PM
I always thought DVI made the picture much better.
Nope, it's a myth. It is needed for very large, very high resolution displays but for a computer monitor it is fine to do without it. To clarify, the only difference you might notice would be text sharpness but it is something you'd have to be extremely perceptive to notice. Here is a good article regarding these monitors: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/index.html

DVD movies look just fine on these monitors, by the way. Tom's Hardware is great but they tend to exaggerate shortcomings of the hardware they test.

H-street
03-17-05, 12:46 PM
i hav the BenQ FP931 19" i bought for 350$ and i have been nothing but pleased with it..

no ghosting and a very crisp display..

the only drawback is its a 1280x1024 native res LCD but has an excellent response time (4+12) of 16ms..

for the price its an excellent monitor.. (i'm thinking of getting a second one)..

Daneel Olivaw
03-17-05, 01:23 PM
I'd say buy a good benQ or a good Samsung.

Ninjaman09
03-17-05, 01:29 PM
It's unfortunate the new BenQ 19" 8ms won't be sold in the U.S. :(

Fotis
03-17-05, 01:50 PM
TN= 6bit color + low viewing angles.
Go for a true 8bit monitor with a S-IPS panel.Dell offers two 20" screens(wide,normal) for about the money you are willing to spend.Take a tour to Hardocp and read what people are saying about them.The type of monitors I suggest cover all of your requirements while TN panel only covers responce time.

Ninjaman09
03-17-05, 02:07 PM
TN? I'm sorry I don't know what that means. :)

edit: Nevermind, I'm reading an article about it now. Neato...

OK, well here's a link to the article that sums up about all you need to know about the 3 different matrix types:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide_27.html

It sounds to me that the TN matrices are the best for gaming, especially considering the Tom's Hardware article showing the excellent color reproduction of the newest Samsung panels. S-IPS panels seem to be better suited to office work and image editing, maybe for gaming but they're so expensive in comparison to TNs that it hardly seems worth it. Eh, that's my two cents anyway. Either way, the image quality of the Samsung I've got is extremely good and it's very responsive. I'd take it over a CRT any day. :D

Fotis
03-17-05, 02:22 PM
TN? I'm sorry I don't know what that means. :)
Basically there are 3 types of LCD panel technology(TN,S-IPS,MVA)
TN can produce 262.000 colors and by using software they emulate 16.2 million colors.TN panels also have poor viewing angles.Both S-IPS and MVA produce 16.77 million colors in hardware and have 178 degrees viewing angle.Don't be fooled by specs and site reviews.Go for user reviews.
I would suggest visiting www.prad.de (they also have an english forum) and learn more about TFT tech.Its one of the best sites around.

Ninjaman09
03-17-05, 02:30 PM
Basically there are 3 types of LCD panel technology(TN,S-IPS,MVA)
TN can produce 262.000 colors and by using software they emulate 16.2 million colors.TN panels also have poor viewing angles.Both S-IPS and MVA produce 16.77 million colors in hardware and have 178 degrees viewing angle.Don't be fooled by specs and site reviews.Go for user reviews.
I would suggest visiting www.prad.de (they also have an english forum) and learn more about TFT tech.Its one of the best sites around.
Thanks for that link, I'll check that out too.

While it's true what you're saying, I have yet to find a good S-IPS panel (now that I've actually looked for one ;) ) that is reasonably priced with fast response times. Whatever emulation the software is doing on the panel I have must be fantastic because the colors look better than they did on my old CRT. :)

Here is a link to Samsung's spec on the 915n panel:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Monitors_n_Industrial/LTM190EX/LTM190EX.htm

It seems as if it displays 16.7m colors. Checking to see if this is marketing or legit.

Riptide
03-17-05, 02:30 PM
You might also consider the Dell 2001FP and 2005FPW. Both can often be had for under $500 if you get the right coupon codes or wait for a sale. And those monitors have 20.1" of viewable area.

Fotis
03-17-05, 04:08 PM
AFAIK all TN panels are 6bit.If someone wants to play the waiting game there are 12-8ms MVA panels comming in a couple of months.Check the specs on the Fulitsu-Siemens P19-2 and P20-2 here (http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/displays_projectors/tft/index.html)

If you want a monitor now I would go with the recommendations of Riptide.

Ninjaman09
03-17-05, 04:49 PM
Both of those are good monitors (the Dell ones) but the OP specifically stated he wanted no ghosting. While it's true that his monitor requirements describe a monitor that does not exist, it is better to go with faster response & lower cost, especially if the primary use of the computer is gaming. The monitors you mentioned cost in excess of $600 and at the lowest have a response time of 16ms. Coming from a 12ms panel I can tell you that you will notice ghosting in high-contrast games, like Half-Life 2.

1600x1200 is, to me at least, a very undesirable native resolution for an LCD. While it's true that a very high-end system could handle this resolution for now, in about a year you'll be running in a non-native resolution if you want decent framerates and that just doesn't look as good.

As far as bang for your buck goes, you really can't do much better than the 19" panels I've listed, as far as I can tell. The Dell monitors are very nice but they're expensive as all hell. Unless you're worried about viewing angles (which a gamer shouldn't be) I can't see any reason to pick a monitor that costs 2-3x more for basically lower game performance.

Riptide
03-17-05, 08:23 PM
The 2001FP and 2005FPW could be had for $486 shipped only about a week ago if you got the right coupon codes together. Watch gotapex and rage3d deals section. 16ms or less is a good guideline. While there is some ghosting visible it's real hard to see IMO at 16ms or less.

Better have at least a 6800/X800 class card and a 3000+ or better CPU to drive the thing though or the native resolution will not run well.

gate1975mlm
03-18-05, 02:19 PM
I should add that the main gaming I do is Sports games and Racing games. I don't really play FPS. So because of that do you think I could get by with 16ms? Also I really want the text to be sharp and nice big viewing Angle. And also I would like very good DVD playback.

Riptide
03-18-05, 03:14 PM
16ms at a minimum. 12ms is even better, but 16 should be OK IMO.

And btw, shorten that sig or shrink it please. It's kinda huge. :)

gate1975mlm
03-18-05, 03:14 PM
Can someone tell me what this means Viewing Angle:

85U/70D/85R/85L (CR>5)? This is the Viewing Angle for a new NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX-BK Monitor coming out this month. But when I look at most Viewing Angle specs it says something like View Angle: 160 / 160 (Horizontal / Vertical). http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/ProductDetail.cfm?Product=393&ClassificationFamily=2&Classification=1

Riptide
03-18-05, 03:17 PM
That is how far off center you can view the screen (ie how steep an angle) before the picture becomes distorted. LCDs are not like a CRT in that you can't view them from a sharp angle and have the picture look proper.

gate1975mlm
03-18-05, 03:19 PM
I see some LCD screens have a glossy look to the screen. Should I stay away from them? My dad tells me not to get one with a glossy screen becasue when you look at it you can see things that are behind you. Which I guess would kind of suck. But to me they seem to have better color.

gate1975mlm
03-18-05, 03:21 PM
That is how far off center you can view the screen (ie how steep an angle) before the picture becomes distorted. LCDs are not like a CRT in that you can't view them from a sharp angle and have the picture look proper.

But can you tell me what 85U/70D/85R/85L (CR>5) is? I mean like in View Angle: 160 / 160 (Horizontal / Vertical)

gate1975mlm
03-18-05, 03:24 PM
See the problem also is that none of the stores near me carry any good LCD screens places like Best Buy or CompUSA. Newegg has so much more. But I am sure it would be a good idea too look at the LCD in person but that is kind of hard to do when none of the stores carry what you want.

Riptide
03-18-05, 03:29 PM
Your options are limited. Buy from a place that has a good return policy. Newegg is not one of them when it comes to LCDs.

wildabeast
03-18-05, 03:34 PM
I have the Dell 2001FP for a while now. I also have used the Dell 1901FP or something to that name effect. The Dell 1901FP is a 25ms monitor. I also have used the Acer 19inch 16ms LCD monitor. I have used the Samsung 17inch monitor with a 12ms response rate. I have used all of these for gaming, and have a lot of mixed feeling about the monitors. The Dell 1901FP is not for gaming at all. The color that this monitor produces is extreme good, and is now used on my MAC for color work. It is that good, but still is not as good as a CRT. The ghosting is just horrible on this monitor. Now I own and use the 2001FP all day long and love it. This monitor can be had for a good price. I have been using it for over a year and cannot say I have seen any Ghosting on it at all. The color on it is not that great though, to much red in it. The monitor lacks the ability to adjust color. The Dell 2001FP can be had for under $500 with the right coupons. It is a very nice monitor. I have also bought for a friend a cheaper priced Acer 19inch 16ms monitor off of Newegg for around $320. This monitor is great for gaming no ghosting and the price is very good. The lack of the DVI does suck a little since the monitor wants to auto adjust all the time for whatever you are doing. The one thing you have to keep in mind like Riptide said you need a powerful video card for these bigger LCD monitors. They like to run at or very close to there native resolution in order to keep from getting ghosting. I run all of my games at least 1280x1024 to keep from having ghosting. Now for the Samsung 12ms LCD I could not notice to much of a difference from it to my Dell other than size and a little cooler color. It tends to go more towards a blue then red. Other than that it really did not make a difference to me going from 12ms to 16ms. Even though rule of thumb anymore is to get a lower Response rate and the best price. I still have to say that I love my Dell 2001FP for more than just gaming. The base of the monitor is awesome like not other. It will let you adjust it anyway you want. The angle are really not to bad either. It fells to be a more sturdy built LCD compared to the Samsungs and Acers I have tried. Those other LCD monitors always seemed ready to fall over. I don't get freaked out if I hit my desk with the 2001FP monitor. If it was the Samsung or the Acer I would be scared it would heading to the floor. I have no idea is if this helps at all. I still had to get my 2 cents in. Also since you do play racing games you really want to make sure your response rate is fast to keep up.