PDA

View Full Version : athlon 64 users- cool n quiet for gaming

wheeljack12
03-18-05, 11:12 AM
I was curious if how many of you who are gamers make use of the cool n quiet portion of the athlon 64 cpu. The reason I ask is that I get a slight delay in a game (madden 2k5) from time to time. And I am not sure if it's a constant throttle change of the cpu or the SLI tech of the video card being so new in tech for gaming. Even though Nvidia has given a profile for madden 2k5. One last thing, if it's a cool n quiet thing, is it ok to keep the cpu running without cool n quiet portion of the cpu working?

Ninjaman09
03-18-05, 11:19 AM
I disabled CnQ on my system. In WoW, there was this really weird effect where it'd slow down then speed up, then be normal for a bit, then slow down, speed up, repeat. This stopped happening after disabling CnQ. I'd bet it's doing the same thing in your Madden 2k5. It cannot hurt at all to disable it, and it's as easy as switching your power configuration, so give it a shot and see if it improves things.

As for your last question, I think you're misunderstanding what Cool n Quiet does. It's a driver that throttles CPU speed by lowering the multiplier during non-use to save power and generate less heat. It's not an integral part of the functioning of the CPU. In fact, I doubt you'll find many people here who even use it since it screws with overclocking. I would suggest turning it off, as I have yet to see a good use for it.

SH64
03-18-05, 11:20 AM
Whats the Cool 'n quite feature anyway ? i'm keeping it disabled so far .

Ninjaman09
03-18-05, 11:22 AM
It keeps idle temps very low by lowering the processor to ~1ghz when it's idle, uses less power, and it might be good if you have poor cooling or bad airflow in your case. I'm using the stock AMD cooler on my 3500+, I have decent airflow in my case, and I've never seen the CPU get too hot.

Strahd
03-18-05, 12:36 PM
Hmm.... define to hot? My fx-55 temperature at idle is around 50c which is to hot in my opinion for idle. I have ordered a 120mm heat sink and fan to cool it more but am curiious what the average idle temp is for the athlon 64?

Riptide
03-18-05, 12:45 PM
I have it turned off. Mainly because I fold 24/7 when I'm not using the PC for gaming purposes. My machine is pretty quiet anyway and my power supply fan puts out more noise than my Zalman cooler so CnQ wouldn't help me much.

keith33
03-18-05, 01:16 PM
From what I've tried, it doesn't even work right anyways on a different cooler from stock. If i got a 3rd party cooler installed, I would just turn it off from the beginning.

zoomy942
03-18-05, 03:38 PM
wow! i have loved cnq since i got the athlon 64. i dont notice anything odd when i play games, but it seems possible that it would cause the occasional clich. i periodically check it to make sure it isnt slowing down my proc speed when i play games, and the it is always at full speed.

i enjoy it cause when i am not doing anything my cpu temp drops down to 30 C and sometimes less. it stays at 999 mhz while i surf the web and burn dvd's and such. i like that cause i knwo the athlon procs are very efficient and if they dont need 100% speed for my windows things, then go ahead and slow down. mainly, i like the cooler temps. it makes a world of difference.

jolle
03-18-05, 04:22 PM
I used CnQ, its nice..
It drops the CPU fan speed as the CPU cools down, clocks from 2.4ghz to 1ghz and drops the Vcore..
Speed changes arent noticable.. havent had any sideeffects yet in any game.

Greg
03-19-05, 07:07 AM
I thought I was using CnQ since I installed the AMD drivers. However, I've never seen my clock speed drop, nor had any speed issues in games. The CPU runs 10-20deg cooler than my old AthlonXP, particularly while idle. I think I might be missing something. (Using Motherboard Monitor to track CPU speed.)

jolle
03-19-05, 07:32 AM
I thought I was using CnQ since I installed the AMD drivers. However, I've never seen my clock speed drop, nor had any speed issues in games. The CPU runs 10-20deg cooler than my old AthlonXP, particularly while idle. I think I might be missing something. (Using Motherboard Monitor to track CPU speed.)

Open your Display Properties, go to Screensaver tab, then "Power" button on the bottom, setting the "power scheme" to "Minimal Power Management" enabled CnQ, to disable it I go with "Home/Office desk".
If you go to the Advanced Tab you can enable a shortcut icon in the Icon tray.

Greg
03-19-05, 09:00 AM
Open your Display Properties, go to Screensaver tab, then "Power" button on the bottom, setting the "power scheme" to "Minimal Power Management" enabled CnQ, to disable it I go with "Home/Office desk".
If you go to the Advanced Tab you can enable a shortcut icon in the Icon tray.
Thanks, that worked. CPU dropped to 1ghz in Windows.

wheeljack12
03-19-05, 10:48 AM
well, I turned it off in the bios and in the windows power settings. Let you know what differences I see.

SH64
03-19-05, 11:01 AM
Well as far as things goes i'm not going to need the C 'n Q for my PC .. because i'm using it only for gaming & i dont leave it idle or surf the internet on it .

nIghtorius
03-21-05, 07:33 AM
game a lot and have CnQ enabled.. never ever had weird anomolies when gaming.. So there is no reason to turn off CnQ..

but I keep my system running 4 days in a row non-stop.. nightly dloads & stuff. I don't need the full speed then. ~1.0Ghz~1.15Ghz clockspeeds are fine with me. and with the combination of the 7700-Cu CPU cooler I get idle temps around 26c. @ 1.1vcore (vcore also throttles with CnQ, keep that in mind when you're OC'ing.)