PDA

View Full Version : My first laptop . . . iBook!

six_storm
03-19-05, 01:13 AM
That's right. I bought myself a 14" (almost) fully loaded iBook earlier this evening and what can I say? Pure genius! This is my first Mac and I have enjoyed it a lot so far. Here are my specs:

1.33 GHz G4 CPU
768 MB RAM
32 MB ATI (wish it were NVIDIA :) ) 9200 Mobility GPU
14.1" Screen
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM / CD-R/RW Writer)
Weighs in at under 6 LBs!

The last time that I had ever played around with any Apple product was when the iMacs first came out with the different "flavors" and I wasn't too excited about Mac (I didn't know anything about them). But one day about a month or so ago, I had to download Quicktime to watch some game trailor video (Doom 3 expansion maybe?) and I quickly got to surfing on the Apple.com website. Apple has really come up with some amazing technologies over the years and I was pretty impressed.

Anyways, I went to my local (40 miles away from home) CompUSA to check the laptops out again. This one guy who was talking to really really wanted to sell me an iBook or Powerbook. He kept going on and on until finally, he got around to the Apple Protection Plan and started telling me that if I buy the iBook with the APP, he would throw in a few goodies for me. Check this out:

$150 BeetHaven laptop case
$30 Kensington Optical Notebook Mouse
$110 ULTRA 512 MB Notebook RAM

ALL FOR FREE! Even though the little "Protection Plan" was a little crazy for the price ($500 of my purchase), I still think I got a pretty good deal for $1850. I won't really comment too much on Mac OS X since I've only played around with it for a few hours. But so far, everything is perfectly smooth with the graphics, DVDs look amazing, works throughout my Windows-based network flawlessly, and the open source programs are pretty cool. The display on this thing is just WOW.

One thing that I like the most about the iBook is it's ability to connect to my wireless network so frickin fast. My Compaq laptop takes 3-5 mins minimum to even find my router . . . hmmmm. That got a little frustrating after a while. I transfered my iTunes from my PC to iBook (36 songs) in just 10-20 secs over wireless.

I'll try to take some pics sometime soon. Hope you like my lil review! My desktop is a little jealous . . . .

OldOfEvil
03-19-05, 01:24 AM
It's to bad Mac's have the stigma they do..

But yeah, congrats.

I just wish they would slap a G5 in those things.

oldsk00l
03-19-05, 01:50 AM
W00T!!!!!!

How you like? Wait till you get into some of the FOSS apps.

:D

You should pm me too.

GlowStick
03-19-05, 01:58 AM
That is a nice notebook, however i have to say I would of gone for the 15" powerbook if i were going to spend that much money on a mac laptop.

It pritty much is more powerfull, and has alot of extras such as DVI out, svideo out, firewire 400, firewire 800, gigabit ethernet, alot faster video(9700 mobile), faster ram, higher res screen and is under 6 lbs, however it costs 150$ more.

bkswaney
03-19-05, 03:05 AM
If I where going to buy a new notebook right now it would be the ASUS Z80K.
Pickup the barebone Asus add a CPU, memory and HD u ready to rock.
It's the cheapest notebook around with a 128mb Radeon 9700Pro in it. :D
750.00 for the notebook. It's a badass with the AMD64 in it. :D :D
If I had about 1800.00 I would get the dell with the new 256meg 6800ultra in it. ;)

six_storm
03-19-05, 07:53 AM
I just wish they would slap a G5 in those things.

Amen brother, amen. :)

How you like? Wait till you get into some of the FOSS apps.

Man, I'm lovin it! (McDonalds, lol) It's funny because I was talking with oldsk00l about buying a Mac Mini just a few weeks ago. And yeah, I like the Mini and all, but true potability like an iBook or PowerBook doesn't really come with a Mini. Mac OS X is just wow. BTW oldsk00l, did you get an actual physical copy of the free Tiger upgrade? The guy at CompUSA told me that it was something I could print online, mail to Apple and get my CDs in the mail. I found a keynote video on Tiger yesterday and the upgrade has some really cool stuff with it. Can't wait.

That is a nice notebook, however i have to say I would of gone for the 15" powerbook if i were going to spend that much money on a mac laptop.

I was playing around with a 15" PB a lot last night and the only thing that I really cared for besides the extra power was the backlit keys and aluminum finish (compared to the white polycarbinate of the iBook.) But if I bought a 15" PowerBook, that would've been all I got; no protection, no 768 RAM, no laptop case and no notebook mouse. I guess for what I'm going to do with this laptop, the iBook is just right for the job.

bkswaney, I wanted to slide away not only from my desk to a laptop for portability, but the whole PC scene in general. Windows is getting boring, really boring, and I need to broaden my knowledge with Mac OS X and the UNIX side as well. Oh yeah, I have a desktop for all of that! :)

superklye
03-19-05, 08:38 AM
hehe...so'd you get it figured out? FireFox still working for you?

oldsk00l
03-19-05, 11:22 AM
hehe...so'd you get it figured out? FireFox still working for you?

imho Safari is better, Konqueror is slightly faster, and it starts up faster for me.

btw, Six_storm, I did get physical coupons for the tiger upgrade, they are small though. Perhaps because you bought from compusa?

You should *really* pm me dude ;)

oldsk00l
03-19-05, 11:23 AM
btw I have found that Windows Media player on Mac is really nice. All the wmv embedded sites work just fine

six_storm
03-19-05, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm figuring it out as I go along. I'm just real surprised on how fast I'm picking all of this up. I just starting using programs like AdiumX, MacStumbler and little things like Stickies and stuff. I'm just overwhelmed by this laptop. Apple has really done a good job at designing it. I wonder why we don't have any type of either Mac discussions or Mac topics on the boards? Hmmmmm......

Riptide
03-19-05, 05:26 PM
I wonder why we don't have any type of either Mac discussions or Mac topics on the boards? Hmmmmm......
Probably mainly because most people here don't use one of them. ;)

Arstechnica has a lot of Mac users there btw. And their Battleground forum is always interesting to read through, especially the Mac vs. PC discussions.

six_storm
03-19-05, 08:53 PM
Hmmm . . . I think we need some kind of Mac discussion on here. Are oldsk00l and my self the only Mac people here? Macs have come a long way and I guess I'm one of the proud "switchers". I've found that using this laptop can cause a loss of a few hours here and there :D

Anyways, I can't wait for the "Tiger" release. I was watching the KeyNote from last year's WWDC and it had Jobs telling all about Tiger's new features; pretty interesting stuff. Has anyone here seen the new Codec Apple is releasing with Tiger? "H.264" supports newer HD-DVDs and also enhances DVD quality while staying at the same data transfer rate.

Mac OS X Panther has really impressed me with all that it has. I'm finding all kinds of goodies here and there. :D

GlowStick
03-19-05, 09:03 PM
Hmmm . . . I think we need some kind of Mac discussion on here. Are oldsk00l and my self the only Mac people here? Macs have come a long way and I guess I'm one of the proud "switchers". I've found that using this laptop can cause a loss of a few hours here and there :D

Anyways, I can't wait for the "Tiger" release. I was watching the KeyNote from last year's WWDC and it had Jobs telling all about Tiger's new features; pretty interesting stuff. Has anyone here seen the new Codec Apple is releasing with Tiger? "H.264" supports newer HD-DVDs and also enhances DVD quality while staying at the same data transfer rate.

Mac OS X Panther has really impressed me with all that it has. I'm finding all kinds of goodies here and there. :D
Isnt tiger the one where every pixel on screen is going to go though the 3d pipe line?

six_storm
03-19-05, 09:21 PM
Isnt tiger the one where every pixel on screen is going to go though the 3d pipe line?

I'm not really sure. The "demo video" on the Apple website doesn't put out much detail on their stuff. I'll look around for it though.

six_storm
03-20-05, 09:17 PM
Here is a quick pic of my laptop. Sorry for the crap quality, my digital camera is getting old . . .

http://www.photodump.com/direct/six_storm/frontopen.jpg

My iBook is screaming "Quit using me so much! Go use your desktop!" :)

XP_GUN
03-20-05, 09:24 PM
DIE you APLE NOOB MiCrosOft OwNz U........... Yeah ok I dont do any of that CS s*** and I try to be funny so help me............ yeah............ :eek2:

Really its a nice laptop I like how they look and are well built but still cant get over how much there games cost. ;)

six_storm
03-21-05, 11:13 AM
How much their games cost? What's that supposed to mean? I'd be more concerned about the actual hardware prices lol.

I've been using the crap out of my laptop. Especially since my car detailing business is starting this weekend with my good buddies Camero Z28 :D. I thought of a really good idea while doing car detailing:

1. Take some pics around the car (dirty).
2. Detail, obviously.
3. Take some pics around the car (clean).
4. Upload onto my iBook and show the customer the before and after pics.

About this process, I'm just cool like that haha ;).