PDA

View Full Version : AMD Athlon64...What a Relief...Phew!!!

rohit
03-19-05, 06:55 AM
After a long and carefull thinking, i finally took the big step, and got this
AMD s939 Athlon64 3200+ (newcastle)
ASUS A8V Deluxe rev2.0
and the old stuff (swapped from my intel rig.)
My intel rig was 478 p4 2.8e HT + ASUS P4P800e Deluxe

For over 8 months i used the intel p4 2.8e [Prescott-aka-HOTT] cpu, and beared the ULTRA-Hi fan Noise levels..of over 5000rpms. I changed 3 intel hsf's, applied arctic cremique..etc.. n wot not..jus wasted money for no reason, but the beast NEVER KEPT QUIET.

then there was a ray of sunshine, and someone really intelligent suggested me to move to the amd 64 bit series.

I was a BLIND BELIEVER of Intel, coz i had heard crappy things like nothings as stable as intel, as cool as intel..n wot not.

MAn this thing is equally stable as intel.
Im glad, this beast is much much quitter than the intel rig. fan speeds never go above 3100 rpm.
Temps of cpu are 36-37 idle, and 45-46 on load.
this is simply QUIET, and wat i wanted for a long time.

now i donno anything much about VIA-Or-AMD.
1] can anyone plz temme any bios settings, that are essential.
2] What is ASUS Q-Fan2 (i mean the ratios 11/16, etc etc.) which do i select.
3] AMD Cool-n-Quiet actually throttles the CPU's Frequency, do i keep it on or off. Is it helpfull??
4] In win98se, i am getting low performance, like 72fps in cs, & framing in certain games. i observed in the NV control panel, the Information was given BUS: PCIx0 instead of AGP8X. how do i fix this??

MUYA
03-19-05, 07:07 AM
Ah the same mobo as me. Asus Q-Quiet is their version of AMD's Cool n Quiet..I think. SOmething to use if the Heast Sink Fan is not compatibile with AMD's cool-n-quiet. I dunno exactly. I dun eva use cool and quiet....my zalman 7700Cu is quiet enough.. :)

the 11/16 etc is the stepping to control voltage to the fan etc I think.

Did u eva do a clean install...and dude...use winXP not windows 98!!!!

win98 was a beyotch to install new hardware..always doa fresh install!!

jolle
03-19-05, 07:16 AM
I use CnQ and love it.
throttles down to 1ghz from 2.4ghz (by dropping the Multiplier), lowers VCore and slows down the Fan speed alot due to that..
Speed changes are transparant and isnt noticed, usually when I watch movies and stuff CPU usage is low enough to keep the CPU at 1ghz and the fan running silent which is great..

only game I heard that has issues with it is Splinter Cell Pandoras, runs twice as fast with CnQ as it "thinks" the CPU is only 1ghz when it starts up.

MUYA
03-19-05, 07:39 AM
Out of interst what HSF ae u using. I have read some are not compatible with C'n'q

jolle
03-19-05, 08:40 AM
him or me?
Anyhow, Im using the cooler that came with the CPU, was looking at the big zalman but it doesnt fit my board, so now im looking at the smaller one hehe.

I would guess all fans that connects to the CPU FAN header should work, I assume it regulates the voltage put out to the FAN to control its speed.
There is some issue with certain FANs reporting half the RPM, I read on NforcersHQ in the Nforce2 days with the QFAN thing on ASUS boards..
I hear some fans dont have a RPM monitoring wire, those could possible have issues with using CNQ, or atleast the FAN speed change..

But at any rate, CnQ should work anyhow, atleast the clockfrequency and Vcore stuff, even tho it cant change the FAN speed for whatever reason.
Or atleast so I would think, there might be issues with it anyhow I guess..

EDIT
Rohit, have you installed the Via chipsetdrivers?
Cause if there isny any AGP drivers installed the card runs in "PCI mode".
So if you havent, then uninstall the forceware, install VIA drivers, then install Forceware..
And concider using WinXP instead, its just overall better AND has better driversupport these days, Win9x support is being more or less phased out..

rohit
03-19-05, 12:36 PM
EDIT
Rohit, have you installed the Via chipsetdrivers?
Cause if there isny any AGP drivers installed the card runs in "PCI mode".
So if you havent, then uninstall the forceware, install VIA drivers, then install Forceware..
And concider using WinXP instead, its just overall better AND has better driversupport these days, Win9x support is being more or less phased out..

yeah, i realised that the card is workin in PCI mode, so i uninstalled forceware, installed the VIA AGP driver v4.51v (that came in mi LEADTEK GEFORCE 6800 CD's Utilities). Then restarted comp, n re-installed forceware.
but no use.
in winxp, i didnt get this problem.
i know winxp is better, but i use win98se for cs, my mouse's sensitivity on 98 is better than xp (dunno y)

Yeah Muya, i got this board coz i had read in one of your posts, this borard may not be a good overclocker but is rock solid, so i got this board.
i was confused between this and the MSI k8n neo2 (bcoz of the nforce chipset). but wen i saw it, i found it really unusual for a motherboard, the DIMMS were placed above the CPU, and the AGP Slot was TOO CLOSE TO THE CPU...got scared lookin at it.

another question, wat are the safe temps for AMD's athlon64. I mean there must be some range 30-50*C or sumthin.
I am using the AMD's original HSF that came bundled with the processor. there arnt any alternative coolers available here... or else i wuldve got the zalman cnps 7700b.

Riptide
03-19-05, 12:56 PM
Technically it's safe up to 70c - though in practice most people prefer to keep it under 60c at all times. It doesn't throttle down until it hits 70c.

CaptNKILL
03-19-05, 01:17 PM
i know winxp is better, but i use win98se for cs, my mouse's sensitivity on 98 is better than xp (dunno y)

Thats a bug with XP (sort of). Mouse acceleration stays on in some games, Half-Life (CS) is one of them.

In windows XP, right click this link and click save target as:
http://www.hardcoreware.net/files/mouse_fix.reg

Then double click the file and install the patch to the registry. Restart and CS wont have mouse acceleration any more. You might want to check the mouse settings (in the control panel) to make sure the windows mouse acceleration settings are off too.

After you do this, I advise that you drop Windows 98SE on that rig. Its a good OS, I used it until 2003 myself, but Windows XP is simply better in every way. With a system like yours, you NEED XP to make things work well.

bkswaney
03-19-05, 01:35 PM
Glad to hear u made the jump.
I'm going to ditch my P4E to.
Going to get a Epox board and 3000+.
I'm sick of the heat myself. :)

rohit
03-19-05, 03:42 PM
Ive read the Amd A64 dual core will b s939.. so will my board support it.. if it launches in the near future? :rolleyes:

Glad to hear u made the jump.
I'm going to ditch my P4E to.
Going to get a Epox board and 3000+.
I'm sick of the heat myself. :)

Ive got nothin against Intel..its jus the heat..and the insane fanspeed.
i was thinkin of gettin the p4 6xxx..but then i thought of 2mb l2 cache.. and my system on fire.. hehe... :p

jolle
03-19-05, 04:00 PM
Supposedly s939 boards SHOULD be able to use Dual Core CPUs with a new BIOS.
Dunno if that goes for all chipsets or all boards.

Riptide
03-19-05, 06:28 PM
I bet you that's a bunch of crap and they're telling a lie. I could be wrong but manufacturers often fib about that stuff. For instance Intel said the 875 canterwood boards would support Prescott - only to revise that later on and require a new revision before it would work. First revision 875 boards didn't support it like we were told.

rohit
03-20-05, 04:04 AM
hopefully it should support dual core. i wuld upgrade to it. it s always nice to have 2 cpu's, one for games, the other for sumthin else.

nIghtorius
03-21-05, 08:25 AM
After a long and carefull thinking, i finally took the big step, and got this
AMD s939 Athlon64 3200+ (newcastle)
ASUS A8V Deluxe rev2.0
and the old stuff (swapped from my intel rig.)
My intel rig was 478 p4 2.8e HT + ASUS P4P800e Deluxe

For over 8 months i used the intel p4 2.8e [Prescott-aka-HOTT] cpu, and beared the ULTRA-Hi fan Noise levels..of over 5000rpms. I changed 3 intel hsf's, applied arctic cremique..etc.. n wot not..jus wasted money for no reason, but the beast NEVER KEPT QUIET.

then there was a ray of sunshine, and someone really intelligent suggested me to move to the amd 64 bit series.

I was a BLIND BELIEVER of Intel, coz i had heard crappy things like nothings as stable as intel, as cool as intel..n wot not.

MAn this thing is equally stable as intel.
Im glad, this beast is much much quitter than the intel rig. fan speeds never go above 3100 rpm.
Temps of cpu are 36-37 idle, and 45-46 on load.
this is simply QUIET, and wat i wanted for a long time.

now i donno anything much about VIA-Or-AMD.
1] can anyone plz temme any bios settings, that are essential.
2] What is ASUS Q-Fan2 (i mean the ratios 11/16, etc etc.) which do i select.
3] AMD Cool-n-Quiet actually throttles the CPU's Frequency, do i keep it on or off. Is it helpfull??
4] In win98se, i am getting low performance, like 72fps in cs, & framing in certain games. i observed in the NV control panel, the Information was given BUS: PCIx0 instead of AGP8X. how do i fix this??

1] 2T Command [disable for higher performance, enable when stability issues]
Cool & Quiet [enable this one.. it throttles not only your CPU but also your vcore]
2] Have an A8V too.. never bothered with it. probably is some kind of speed
selection for your fan.
3] see point #1.. it is really helpfull.. especially when you idle a lot in the desktop (browsing, etc). it drops the vcore to 1.1v and clockspeed to 1Ghz making the CPU very cool and has a nice side effect.. the CPU-FAN will run at a lower speed.
4] Install the VIA Hyperion 4-1 drivers for Win98 (if it's available).. it should install your AGP-driver.. giving a huge boost in your gaming experience. But I will recommend using 2000/XP the get the fullest potential out of your system. Probably you'll need 2000/XP for the Cool & Quiet support since in these OS'ses you can install a "CPU-driver"

Cool & Quiet benefits:

Low idle temperature.. mine idles @ 26 degrees with a fanspeed of 1800RPM.. consuming a small amount of energy. makes it really quiet :) & cool

recommending the Zalman 7700-Cu CPU cooler. I know.. it's huge ass but it will fit perfectly on an A8V :D .. Unless you go to lan parties then you should keep the boxed cooler.. since the 7700Cu is one heavy bastard :cool:

MUYA
03-21-05, 08:29 AM
recommending the Zalman 7700-Cu CPU cooler. I know.. it's huge ass but it will fit perfectly on an A8V :D .. Unless you go to lan parties then you should keep the boxed cooler.. since the 7700Cu is one heavy bastard :cool:

That is absolutely correct. I was aprehensive of getting a 7700Cu for my Asus A8V SE but threw caution to the wind and got it. Can I say it's quiet and does the job good. Not as good as my old water cooling solution but, cools with low noise output

Absolution
03-21-05, 11:25 AM
id just like to add because no one has answered the question about fps in cs

uhh its a game limit, type fps_max 9999 (or whatever) to specify your max fps, if you want more then 100, type developer 1

$n][pErMan
03-21-05, 01:58 PM
In win98se, i am getting low performance, like 72fps in cs, & framing in certain games. i observed in the NV control panel, the Information was given BUS: PCIx0 instead of AGP8X. how do i fix this?? Well you are using windows 98 on a 64bit system with new technology .. I would not expect to much. You would really benifit from moving to XP now.... most all the bugs hav been worked out at this point in time. Unless you NEED 98 for something.

rohit
03-22-05, 04:40 AM
id just like to add because no one has answered the question about fps in cs

uhh its a game limit, type fps_max 9999 (or whatever) to specify your max fps, if you want more then 100, type developer 1
1] Its not the problem of capped FPS, my fps_max is set to 100 by default, its that, the AGP Slot drivers (of motherboard) are not getting installed correctly. In nv control panel, i am gettin, PCIx0 instead of AGP8x

2] I use both win98se, and win xp (dual OS). 98se was primarily for CS:CZ, coz the mouse acceleration issue with XP.

3] Now the Mouse ACCELERATIOn issue is Fixed in winXP, Thanx to CaptNKILL, so ive kept win98se, jus a 2nd OS.. for the sake of having 2 OS's.. LOL

six_storm
03-22-05, 08:07 AM
I'm glad you are switching to the better CPU. Intel blows IMO and they are pretty expensive at some times. I've had that exact CPU+Mobo combo in my desktop for about 4-5 months now, no problems. It runs extremly well in games and everything else. Congrats bro.

rohit
03-22-05, 08:50 AM
Yeah true.. intel is expensive.. but it also has an amazing resale value
for example.. i sold my 8-9month old p4 2.8e cpu for approx US$160 and i had bought it for US $200. so it aint bad..
but my dealer said.. if i will b selling my amd64 3200+, ill get max US $100.00
and i got it for US $220.00.
reason, because intel is more popular with people..while AMD still hasnt created a better reputation in them.
i am thinking from the resale point of view.. coz i am waiting for amd64 dualcore. i am all set to pik it up..wen it launches.

i really dont care abt the resale value...i am extremely satified with amd at the moment.

MUYA
03-22-05, 09:00 AM
That's probably because you are in India where like the rest of South Asia, ppl tend to purchase the brandname that has been dominant for a long time. Same story in Nepal. I dunno how many times I tried to convince ppl that MHz is not the end all and be all.

rohit
03-22-05, 09:03 AM
true