PDA

View Full Version : A8N-SLI slight posting problem

wheeljack12
03-19-05, 11:51 AM
I would say once in 30 hard or soft startups/restarts(power switch or windows), my system will not post. I am able very easily able by pressing the reset switch to restart the system and it will post. I was curious if anyone with a SLI system has this slight problem.

PS. Jakup, I know you RMAed a A8N-SLI, I was curious if this was related to why it you sent it back.

PSYCHODAD
03-19-05, 12:09 PM
Most likely not a problem with your board. I have a NF2 system that used to do that occasionally. Interestingly, when I upgraded the psu, the problem went away.

There was another thread about this some time ago. Someone mentioned a setting they changed that fixed the problem for them. Don't recall what it was though.

wheeljack12
03-21-05, 08:21 PM
I have a feeling you maybe right about the power supply. Because most of SLI certified power supplies (PC Power and Cooling,Silverstone) have seperate PCI Express plugs whereas the thermaltake puts them in a chain of two. So, I have a feeling sometimes it's a temporary power drawing problem during post.

The 1st link is thermaltake's idea of PCI express plugs, the other is the 850 watt PC power and Cooling I am was going to upgrade to regardless of the problem.

http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w049atx12v/w0049atx12v.htm

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/about/index_whatnew850.htm

jAkUp
03-21-05, 10:39 PM
hmmm... do you get any display at all? the problem with my mobo is that sometimes it would post, soon enough it stopped posting all together

wheeljack12
03-22-05, 12:30 PM
well, sounds similar here. Everytime it happens, the monitor goes to power save mode and is blank. Then I press the reset button on the case and I get a post. It happened twice yesterday. You can hear the power supply, cpu fan ,case fans , vc fans and the hard drives running, but no display or post beep. I just ordered up the PC power and cooling 850 ETx as 3dcool has them in now in the case it maybe the power supply. It's also nice to have the breathing room for power too.

H-street
03-22-05, 01:10 PM
wheeljack..

have you ever let it run into windows?

there are several people (including me) where for some reason on certain startups the video card will not initialize until windows starts up..

next time it happens, let it go for a bit and see if you have HDD activity.. if you do let windows load and see if the display initializes..

as far as fixing it i haven't seeen any fix for it yet.. in my SLI setup my primary GPU was doing it all the time so i swapped the 2 video cards and the new primary GPU has yet to do it..

its kindof a PIA but until there is a fix for it i don't think there is much you can do..

wheeljack12
03-24-05, 09:29 PM
well, I can always see my post screen and get a beep 90% of the time, which means the cards are initalizing at the push of the power button. so, H-street, you are telling me that there is a whole bunch of SLI users that get a post screen some of the time but at others they don't get anything until windows displays. What I am curious is the problem for others a once in a while thing or is the blank display thing for SLI happening everytime they turn on the pc.

circuitguy70
03-25-05, 03:50 AM
Try 1 stick of ram 1st.
Then,
I would try removing 1 Vid card and see if it still does it.
Don't forget to change the little Asus EZ selector card to single too.

Just something to try... :confused:

H-street
03-25-05, 01:19 PM
wheel jack..

for me it was every once in a while..

when it first happened to me i freaked out pretty bad..

it seems when it would happen and it loaded into windows.. when i shutdown and restarted it would then work on the POST again..

i dont' really have any more info than that.. but like i said others have seen and had this same problem, i don't know if it is the same problem you have but i would venture a guess it is

bkswaney
03-26-05, 02:25 AM
Man I want a A8N but all these post about them
has me worried about even going SLI. :( :eek:
It's just post after post all bad.

wheeljack12
03-26-05, 02:55 PM
well, I am starting to agree with Psychodad in that it's a crap power supply. I have the pc power and cooling 850 in the box but am waiting on the 8 pin to 4 pin adapter to show up. Just to see if there was a problem, I reattached my thermaltake 680 minus the case and hd fans. And the pc is posting faster now. My monitor usually completes a horizontal and vertical check with the fans attached before a post beep is heard. Usually I see the vertical check complete before a post beep but now the beep is happening well before the monitor check completes. Also, another indicator in that when I scroll my mouse, I can hear the cpu fan slow down everytime I use the scroll wheel. Don't know if that's a common happening with a pc of this magnitude. H-street, This is happening before my system has done a memory check, well before a loading of windows. I would at least up until now, not hear the beep from the pc speaker when you push your power or reset button. Or even after you exit the OS to restart windows. Yours sounds more like a windows driver problem where you have windows loading part way and then it reboots during the loading of windows.