PDA

View Full Version : Processor requirement for a GeForce4?

jnd3
12-05-02, 02:06 PM
Does anyone know offhand what the minimum CPU specs are for a GF4 Ti4200? I'm looking to get one for a buddy o' mine to replace his ancient Voodoo 3. He needs a full system upgrade, but that's a matter of convincing his wife that it'd be a good investment (and it's way outside my price range). :)

Cheers,
JND

saturnotaku
12-05-02, 02:12 PM
Newegg has an AthlonXP 1700+ for less than $60 now. Pair that up with a K7S5A and some PC2100 and that Ti4200 will do exceptionally well.

But if you need an absolute minimum, I'd say 1.2 GHz, but with the ridiculously low priced AthlonXP, it would be stupid not to buy one. :D

jnd3
12-05-02, 02:19 PM
Hmmm. Maybe for me, 'cause I need an upgrade too! :D

If he can use the card in his current system (PII 350, I think), it'd be a decent (and relatively inexpensive) upgrade. Like I said, I need to convince his wife of the merits of a system upgrade (which would end up being a whole new box)...and if she holds out, I'd like him to be able to use it anyway...

Cheers,
JND

Gator
12-05-02, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by jnd3
Hmmm. Maybe for me, 'cause I need an upgrade too! :D

If he can use the card in his current system (PII 350, I think), it'd be a decent (and relatively inexpensive) upgrade. Like I said, I need to convince his wife of the merits of a system upgrade (which would end up being a whole new box)...and if she holds out, I'd like him to be able to use it anyway...

Cheers,
JND

I suspect it's not CPU dependent so much as AGP speed. I don't know anyone running a GF4 in anything less than AGP4x. I'm not sure what would happen if you put it in an old AGP2x slot (and don't they have slightly more voltage too?)

But in a PII350, you also wouldn't notice any difference from your current card because the CPU would bottleneck any game you try to install.

And Saturnotaku has the best advice for you, get the K7S5A (i love mine!), a cheap AthlonXP, and it'll be whole new world of computing for you. ;)

jnd3
12-05-02, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the input! After doing some more browsing on Newegg, I think I'm going to recommend the following:

- LEADTEK Motherboard K7NCR18D-PRO
- AMD Athlon XP 1700+/266 FSB
- Crucial 256 MB PC2100 DDR
- FOXCONN SUPER CASE MID TOWER TU-124 w/ 350W AMD listed power supply

I figure the Nforce2 will provide some decent future-proofing. Hopefully that'll be in her price range (at a scant bit over $300 it better be)!

Thanks!
JND

saturnotaku
12-05-02, 03:34 PM
That should be a very solid budget system that will do very well with a Ti4200. If you only want 256 mb RAM, get 2 128 mb sticks to take advantage of dual-channel DDR. :D

StealthHawk
12-05-02, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Gator
I suspect it's not CPU dependent so much as AGP speed. I don't know anyone running a GF4 in anything less than AGP4x. I'm not sure what would happen if you put it in an old AGP2x slot (and don't they have slightly more voltage too?)

there is a "required" minimum CPU speed for video cards. i just don't happen to know what it is :p you could try looking on the box though. one thing is for certain, i wouldn't use that card in a system that didn't meet the CPU requirement.

SpeedDemon
12-06-02, 01:26 AM
If he needs something really cheap for an upgrade, get an 1700+, 256MB DDR333, and a nForce2 motherboard with the built on GeForce4 MX GPU. Those seem to preform decently well for todays games. Since the GeForce4 is onboard though it only gets about the performance of a GeForce2. If he is going to do that setup though, tell him to get two sticks of 128 so that he can run it dualbank. The onboard GPU will really take advantage of the 5.4GB/s of bandwith (would be 6.4GB/s if you use DDR400, and 4.1GB/s if you use DDR266). Good luck!

UPDATE: WOW, I just realized that somebody else made the same suggestion as me. BTW, I'm running an nForce2 mobo with AMD AXP2100+ o/c to 1.84GHz, GeForce4 Ti4200, and 2-256MB sticks of DDR400 and am loving the performance. I upgraded from a KT333 and have never seen such a huge performance increase in upgrading a motherboard :cool:.

Gator
12-06-02, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by SpeedDemon
If he needs something really cheap for an upgrade, get an 1700+, 256MB DDR333, and a nForce2 motherboard with the built on GeForce4 MX GPU...

only thing is I wouldn't really recommend any Nforce2 board right now except for the Asus one. The reason being is Asus has AGP/PCI bus speed locking, while rumor has it the other guys dont. Again, I don't know this firsthand, it's just a rumor I've heard, and you DEFINETLY want AGP/PCI bus speed for overclocking. That, you get Asus quality, yet it's cheapest NForce2 board available right now.

But I think the K7S5A is still the best choice only because Jnd3 sounds like he's looking to save money :cool:

Blakhart
12-06-02, 11:38 AM
For more nforce stuff go here:
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/index.php

jnd3
12-06-02, 11:50 AM
Budget indeed! I managed to convince my buddy's wife that she wants to upgrade his system for Christmas. From some of the reviews I think I'll probably go with the Epox Nforce2 board instead of the Leadtek, and 2 sticks of 128MB DDR for him. All that (with a case and a CPU) for $319 shipped from Newegg.

Now to find a solid, cheap 4200 to round out the deal...

Thanks all!
JND

saturnotaku
12-06-02, 12:04 PM
Albatron Ti4200 128 mb is $145 from Newegg. If you want the AGP 8x cards, you have to spend a bit more. I wouldn't get a 64 mb card, though, especially if this is something that has to last your friend a while. :)

jnd3
12-06-02, 12:34 PM
Well, he's mostly an EQ junkie. He used to do Counterstrike, but not since the digital crack that is EQ showed up on the scene. The closer to $100 I get, the better, so I'll probably settle for a 64 MB card for him. Besides, it's going to be a HUGE improvement over the Voodoo3! :D

Cheers,
JND

saturnotaku
12-06-02, 01:35 PM
XFX Ti4200 64 mb is $127. That's probably going to be your best bet. This Pine Tech card has a great reputation. Of course, this is only from Newegg, if you have another retailer you can probably find them for less.