PDA

View Full Version : sli board with 66 mhz 64 bit pci board

retsam
03-19-05, 08:51 PM
Are there any sli boards out there with 66 hmz 64 bit pci that has a 939 interface on it. the closest i can come to is the tyan sli board but this board is a 940 and its dual processor. Has anyone seen any at cebit in this configuration?

thanks

retsam

jolle
03-20-05, 04:19 AM
did a quick google for it, didnt find any other then the tyan board either..
why 64bit PCI (pci-x right?) slots? high end RAID controller card or something?

retsam
03-20-05, 08:02 AM
high end RAID controller card or something? ya im using scsi this time around....and i want to go with a scsi 160 controller with 256 MB cache and most controllers are 64 bit / 66hmz. the 32 bit 33 mhz bus of pci 2.2 will become the bottle neck then.

jolle
03-20-05, 08:31 AM
shouldnt there be any neat RAID controllers with PCI-E around?
I mean the 1x slot is still 255mb/sec bidirectional..
then there is 4x and 8x slots aswell usually, atleast 4x..

Maybe PCI-E hasnt worked its way into that market just yet.. dunno..
Mobo would be easier to find atleast hehe..

retsam
03-20-05, 03:40 PM
shouldnt there be any neat RAID controllers with PCI-E around?
I mean the 1x slot is still 255mb/sec bidirectional..
then there is 4x and 8x slots aswell usually, atleast 4x..

Maybe PCI-E hasnt worked its way into that market just yet.. dunno..
Mobo would be easier to find atleast hehe.. ya intel has a raid controller ...but its like 600$ bucks.... just a little to pricy for my tastes

HighTest
03-21-05, 03:09 PM
Why SCSI RAID over SATA II RAID? Most performance benchies are showing that SCSI's lossing it's edge for performance to this newer "cheaper" interface. In fact, many SAN (Storage Area Networks) are now begining to offer SATA II RAID arrays that interface by Fibre Channel to allow enterprises to switch to this less costly storage method.

Just curious if you really would be getting your money's worth for more costly SCSI hard drives and controller than to get 4+ SATA II drives. SATA II spec also supports "hot plug" if that's part of your need.

FastM
03-21-05, 07:11 PM
Why SCSI RAID over SATA II RAID? Most performance benchies are showing that SCSI's lossing it's edge for performance to this newer "cheaper" interface. In fact, many SAN (Storage Area Networks) are now begining to offer SATA II RAID arrays that interface by Fibre Channel to allow enterprises to switch to this less costly storage method.

Just curious if you really would be getting your money's worth for more costly SCSI hard drives and controller than to get 4+ SATA II drives. SATA II spec also supports "hot plug" if that's part of your need.

I agree :)

HighTest
03-22-05, 10:15 AM
In fact, check out my thread over on PC Perspective http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=3414690#post3414690

I've been researching the SiI 3132 SATA II controller and if you look at the product specs at http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=32 you'll see that with a port multiplier you can support up to 10 SATA II hard drives in a hot-pluggable RAID 5 configuration.

When checking my BIOS utility for the SiI 3132 controller I saw RAID 5 but discounted it because of the two ports and assuming that it wouldn't work since RAID 5 requires a minimum of 3 drives. As soon as port multipliers hit the market, I don't know if they have or not, we should be set to have some serious hard drive expansion capabilities on the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI, unless I'm missing something important.

If this is the case, some of the other SLI boards will be even less desirable since they went with the PCI SiI 4 port chipset that isn't SATA II.

retsam
03-22-05, 04:46 PM
Why SCSI RAID over SATA II RAID? Most performance benchies are showing that SCSI's lossing it's edge for performance to this newer "cheaper" interface. you got to remember the raid cards that im looking to use have at least 128 meg of cache. most sites dont bench with these kinds of cards. at least i havent seen one yet.

In fact, many SAN (Storage Area Networks) are now begining to offer SATA II RAID arrays that interface by Fibre Channel to allow enterprises to switch to this less costly storage method.
ya they are moving toward fiber channel but did you just see what you said fiber channel and less coslty ...those two terms are mutually exclusive. there doing it not becouse of cost but becouse of drive density. scsi just doesnt have it.

Just curious if you really would be getting your money's worth for more costly SCSI hard drives and controller than to get 4+ SATA II drives. SATA II spec also supports "hot plug" if that's part of your need. actually i can get my hands and a tone of 10k rpm 74 gig drives dirt cheap. scsi raid controllers are well... feature rich compaired to sata. and having 512 cache memory on the controller wouldnt hurt either. have you tried hot plug yet or seen hot plug with sata ... i havent ... i would be affraid to try it... if that was what i was looking for at least i know hot plug would be very reliable with scsi having years of experiance with it.
oh ya also tcq actually works with scsi .... way to many problems with it in the sata world.