View Full Version : Possible cooling problem

adamski
03-20-05, 07:38 AM
Ok first of all might aswell post my setup

2.6 ghz p4
512 ddr ram
geforce fX 5700 ultra
windows xp pro sp2

Ok basically after about 30 - 60 mins of playing games like ut2004, bf1942, jk 2 academy. My computer just lockups, screen totally freezes, sometimes sound constantly repeats itself sometimes it doesnt. The games run perfectly smooth until this happens. My only guess is that it could be my fan not working properly on my cpu or gfx card. But ive opened up my pc and they seem to be working fine. Was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas of what it could be, or whether anyone knows of any programs to increase my fan speed on my gfx card and cpu.

Thanks

:angel: Adamski :angel:

xion
03-20-05, 09:55 AM
weell imoo ur first mistake was getting a p4..any ways sound like u have a driver issue..what video card do u have and the drivers please...btw i got dis

gigabyte mobo sli ga-k8nxp-sli
fx-55 proc 2.61Ghz
dual evga 6800 ultras
soundblaster audigy 2 zs platinum
2 gigs corsair xms extreme low latency @ 2-2-2-5
2 wd 160 gig sata drives...no raid config yet
2 dual layer combo drives
510w sli approved power supply(nvidia)--from pc power and cooling
22 in viewsonic crt monitor..

adamski
03-20-05, 10:41 AM
geforce fX 5700 128mb ultra
running 71.84 nvidia drivers

:angel: adamski :angel:

jAkUp
03-20-05, 12:24 PM
Monitor the temps on your CPU, how hot is it running? Do you have the latest intel .inf drivers for your mobo? Also, try disabling "Fast Writes" in your bios.

Superfly
03-21-05, 06:16 AM
yup - sound like temps to me

download and run throttle watch and set it to save a log file - run some games ect until they crash then go check the log - I bet your cpu is throttling.

JoKeRr
03-21-05, 04:08 PM
is there a PCI card sitting right beside ur 5700ultra, that'll trap a lot of heat fast.

Viffer5
03-22-05, 04:57 PM
Ok, there could be a number of reasons for this. Here's a brief list

drivers,
drivers,
drivers.

Ok, just kidding. Heat is a definite possibility. I have had some problems with power as well. I'll explain in a sec.

Check your BIOS settings and make sure your AGP aperature size is set to at least 2x your video card memory.

Make sure you have latest Bios, chipset, video, LAN, and audio drivers. Sometimes the sound card will affect the video/audio.

Temperatures will climb with extended game playing. Try running the PC with the case open and see if that affects how long you can play before the system crashes.

Lastly, make sure you have good power! I'm not just talking about a badass PSU, but clean power going into your pc! I have had crashing and wierdness on my PC until I hooked it up to a ups with AVR! Your PSU is designed to run on a nice clean 110V. If you power sags below that, you PSU will not be able to compensate and wierdness happens. This will happen a lot in factories where the HVAC system kicks in, draws lots of power and computers crash, freeze, reboot.

The UPS route is kinda costly so try all the previously mentioned fixes first. A good UPS will have a USB connection so it will gracefully shut down your pc without crashing and running the risk of data-loss and you WILL have less flakyness with your PC guaranteed!

my $0.02