PDA

View Full Version : SM30 - which drivers support it?

sphincter
03-20-05, 12:05 PM
I'm trying to get SM30 going on a 6800 NU, but everything I've tried so far is using SM1.1. I've tried several 7x.xx, including the 76.10s and XG 76.10s. Anyone know which drivers actually support that feature, or what I'm missing that would turn it on?

chadashcroft22
03-20-05, 12:14 PM
Everything above a 61.76 driver set. What are you using to test sm # ?

Absolution
03-20-05, 12:14 PM
the game has to support it, if your talking about farcry, you must turn AA off and set everything to ultra high

SM30 has been around for a long time now in all new drivers (probably at least 5months)

Lfctony
03-20-05, 12:15 PM
Everything above and including the 61.77s have SM3.0 support. The game must support it in order to be used, it's not something you can turn on/off.

fivefeet8
03-20-05, 12:40 PM
the game has to support it, if your talking about farcry, you must turn AA off and set everything to ultra high

You don't have to turn off AA to run SM3. It's the HDR in Far Cry that needs FSAA to be disabled.

sphincter
03-20-05, 03:05 PM
Far Cry is one game I'm testing with. I run r_SM30PATH 1 and r_displayinfo and that still reports SM1.1.

OWA
03-20-05, 03:16 PM
You have to be using a patched version of Far Cry. I can't remember if it was added in 1.2 or 1.3. Like someone else mentioned, then all you should have to do is set everything to very high/ultra. Actually, I think there's one option that really controls it (maybe it's the lighting option -- has to be set to very high).

Renzo
03-20-05, 05:39 PM
You don't have to turn off AA to run SM3. It's the HDR in Far Cry that needs FSAA to be disabled.
HDR can be used with AA. However, render targets can't be used with AA.

I don't know about FC's limitations specifically, but there are many games that work with HDR and AA enabled but not with RTs.

Subtestube
03-20-05, 05:49 PM
...there are many games that work with HDR and AA enabled but not with RTs.

Such as? I'm unaware of any games that do proper HDR with AA. Certainly using floating point 16 blending on the NV40 AA doesn't work. It's possible to do bloom with AA if you're smart about the order of doing things. You're correct though in stating that RTs (or more, render textures - strictly the framebuffer IS a render target) don't support AA. One CAN however render to the framebuffer and do a fast copy to an RT.

fivefeet8
03-20-05, 09:52 PM
HDR can be used with AA. However, render targets can't be used with AA.

I don't know about FC's limitations specifically, but there are many games that work with HDR and AA enabled but not with RTs.

I didn't say it couldn't. I said HDR in Far Cry. ;) It uses the OpenEXR texture w/FP16 blending/filtering of the Nv4x cards.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory also uses the FP16 blending for it's HDR which also needs AA to be disabled.

SH64
03-20-05, 09:58 PM
You have to be using a patched version of Far Cry. I can't remember if it was added in 1.2 or 1.3.

patch 1.3 , the 1.2 has SM3.0 working but its not official as it was revoked .

& i believe thats the guy problem . maybe he didnt have the patch installed.

jAkUp
03-20-05, 11:08 PM
Try the splinter cell demo sp and see if you can get that to run in SM3.0