PDA

View Full Version : Logitech MX500 or 700?

Pages : [1] 2

Matthyahuw
12-05-02, 05:10 PM
Is the MX700 really worth it?
Don't you have to replace batteries every week or something?
I was planning on getting the MX500, but give me a couple reasons why to get the MX700, and I'll bite...

Smokey
12-05-02, 05:16 PM
Have you seen this new mouse yet?

styles-T
12-05-02, 05:33 PM
Im in the process of getting a new mouse as well...but I dont want cordless..Ive heard they eat batteries..

Are both the 500 and 700 cordless..??

LORD-eX-Bu
12-05-02, 05:50 PM
I just got MX700. Don't know about battery life and all, but I've been using it all day, no probs, last nite I just left it in the recharger, once it is full it just turns itself off automatically, and I think thats cool. I don't think you have to change batteries. I think I am gonna get that MS bluetooth mouse as well, looks nice, but this rig is gonna have MX700 only now.;) :D

EDIT: Only MX700 is cordless, it is the same as the MX500 only with better material and cordless.;) MX500 is not cordless.

budd_wm
12-05-02, 06:09 PM
As long as you put it in the charger when you don't use it, you should be fine. It can last up to a week without charging though depending on the batteries used. With the stock batteries, it would probably last at least 2 days.

pelly
12-05-02, 06:40 PM
I caught a review of the Microsoft BlueTooth mouse and keyboard....Though the finish/look of them is amazing...the author had some problems with limited range and poor response....I wouldn't waste your money on that mouse quite yet...

Looks like Logitech for now...

:D

demonized
12-05-02, 10:17 PM
For some reason the MX700 isnt available here in canada yet.
how come the neighbors always get them first:)

pelly
12-05-02, 10:30 PM
Just saw the Microsoft BlueTooth keyboard/mouse combo at BestBuy for $159! Ouch!

:eek:

LORD-eX-Bu
12-05-02, 10:37 PM
Logitech Elite Cordless + MX700 sets you back alot too.:D

The Baron
12-05-02, 10:45 PM
Why the *bleep* would you need a wireless keyboard? Biggest waste of money ever. It's not like you, uh, MOVE THE KEYBOARD AROUND ;)

LORD-eX-Bu
12-05-02, 10:47 PM
LOL, well, I don't know, it works up to six feet away, it looks nice, matches my computer perfect and the response is perfect. Way better than crap MS Multimedia keyboard I was using before. I can put it on my lap I guess and roll away in my chair to another computer and work on that one while having the keyboard of my main comp still in my reach. Eh, kinda wierd, but it comes in handy. I've gone farther than 6 ft away and it still works fine.:D

|JuiceZ|
12-05-02, 11:30 PM
Matty I finally bit the bullet and picked up an MX700 tonight cause the hype was killing me, and I must say, its not all hype;) The mouse so far has exceeded my expectations. I've even had to turn the sensitivity down because it was too high, heh. It takes less than 2hrs to recharge the batteries and if you treat it like a cell phone and recharge it you'll be fine. btw, I only had to charge mine for a couple mins, right outta the box so I think the batteries come almost fully charged. Also the latest Logitech Mouseman update has fixed the prob w/ the scroll in games. I remember that being the only reason why I chose an M$ Intellimouse over the Mouseman, in the past, but now that is no more. The only problem I see w/ this mouse, other than the price, is getting use to the added weight, other than that, I think its the #1 choice right now;)

btw, I too checked out that bluetooth mouse from M$ @ bestbuy, and while it looks nice and is finally using some next gen tech, I just can't get used to gamin' w/ a mouse like that, the size is too large and akward for my hands.

Matthyahuw
12-06-02, 12:21 AM
ok, so we got
MX500 = less quality construction???
MX700 = heavy, no battery changing, recharger, heavy, better quality

worth the extra $20? How much you pay for it Juicey? Best Buy I'm assuming???

How much is the MS BT mouse by itself?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-06-02, 12:27 AM
Matthyahuw, you kinda have the MX700 down good, but on it you can change batteries. In fact, for me it doubles as a battery recharger now.:D

EDIT: After two days of using it I can't really notice the extra weight, and it feels more comfortable and really helps you maintain control of the mouse.:D ;)

Smokey
12-06-02, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by pelly
I caught a review of the Microsoft BlueTooth mouse and keyboard....Though the finish/look of them is amazing...the author had some problems with limited range and poor response....I wouldn't waste your money on that mouse quite yet...

Looks like Logitech for now...

:D

From then on, the new blue keyboard worked without a hitch. A similar but simpler restart-and-search-for-new-Bluetooth-device routine configured the mouse and its IntelliPoint 4.9 driver, after which our PC responded to mouse and keyboard input even when we were too far away to read the screen, even on the other side of a wall in the next room.

Review here (http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/4499/1/)

I jumped the gun with this Bluetooth mouse, just looks so damn sexy :p You can only use this mouse with WinXP and I think you use linux also Matty.

Ive read pretty much only great things about the MX700, seems like a good choice.

StealthHawk
12-06-02, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by [eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
Matthyahuw, you kinda have the MX700 down good, but on it you can change batteries. In fact, for me it doubles as a battery recharger now.:D

you don't need to change the batteries.

The Baron
12-06-02, 06:58 AM
Yeah, but you can use it to charge LOTS AND LOTS of NiMH batteries, I suppose... :p

|JuiceZ|
12-06-02, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
ok, so we got
MX500 = less quality construction???
MX700 = heavy, no battery changing, recharger, heavy, better quality

worth the extra $20? How much you pay for it Juicey? Best Buy I'm assuming???

How much is the MS BT mouse by itself?

If I wasn't so antsy, I could have just ordered it only for less but I ended up picking it up at CompUSA for $79.99, which is the same price everyone else locally has it for. And its funny because even thought its expensive, its selling well here since they've sold out an one BB here and I picked up the last one @ CompUSA.

Also I think I saw the M$ bt mouse @ BestBuy going for $74.99, but you may wanna check their website just to comfirm. I probably would have at least picked that one up just to test out if could have only gotten used to the form and gamin' with it.

Matthyahuw
12-06-02, 05:18 PM
ya, I stopped at CompUSA today to browse, and I saw the MS BT mouse, looked coolz, and the price dropped to like $10 less then than the MX700!
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50241204
Looked like the local CompUSA got a huge shipment of every mouse in too...

Any more MS BT reviews you've seen? I'm intregued cuz you can use the BT for more stuff later...

|JuiceZ|
12-07-02, 12:08 AM
Found a few, it doesn't look all that great although if you're like me, you'll have to review it for yourself:

IGN Gear (http://gear.ign.com/articles/379/379309p1.html)

Bluetooth shares the 2.4GHz frequency with a number of products, including cordless phones, microwaves, and 802.11b wireless networking gear. Due to its frequent channel hopping, the mouse occasionally ran into problems in testing with other 2.4GHz items in use. The cursor movements would become choppy and sometimes stop altogether. The regular Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer uses plain old RF signals to communicate with the receiver, bypassing such interference.

It also only works w/ winxp sp1 although it does have excellent signal range, between 20-30ft in some cases. Here are some others:

TechTV (http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/print/0,23102,3406397,00.html)

Hardware Central (http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/4499/2/)

ActiveWin (http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/keyboards/ms/bluetoothdesktop/bluetooth.shtml)

Matthyahuw
12-07-02, 09:18 PM
BT is out...

back to MX500 and 700 time...hehe

I guess I might con my Dad getting me the 700 for Christmas...

budd_wm
12-07-02, 09:51 PM
It's kind of funny that Microsoft's biggest competitor in the mouse/keyboard dept. is Logitech seeing how Microsoft buys a lot of their own parts used for mouses and keyboards from Logitech....

The Baron
12-07-02, 10:15 PM
BT uses 2.4 Ghz? Guess I'll never use it, seeing as how I use 802.11b...

St Lobus
12-08-02, 12:14 AM
My girlfriend wanted the MX 700 for Christmas, so I picked it up for her and gave it to her early. She hasn't let go of it since. She was using the Intellimouse Optical Explorer Cordless (plus more words I can't remember what all Microsoft called it) for about a month before that died. MS sent her another mouse, and that died in less than a day. So far the cordless Logitech mice she and I have used have been solid products. Their driver programs aren't the greatest, but oh well.

Anyways, the MX 700 is a great mouse. I'm thinking about grabbing one for myself now.

SavagePaladin
12-08-02, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by budd_wm
It's kind of funny that Microsoft's biggest competitor in the mouse/keyboard dept. is Logitech seeing how Microsoft buys a lot of their own parts used for mouses and keyboards from Logitech....
So I've heard, but I've seen no reason to believe.