PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking the FX-55 proc with a clawhammer core

xion
03-21-05, 04:12 AM
i cant seem to search out any info on this topic...trying to get my fx 55 proc with clawhammer core to over clock from 2.61Ghz to 2.7 in my first jump...wonder ing what temp it might run at at that speed..and here is my setup...please help i am using easy tune 5 from gygabyte tech to over clock

-gigabyte mobo k8nxp-sli
-fx-55 proc 2.61Ghz
-dual evga 6800 ultras in sli config
-soundblaster audigy 2 zs platinum
-4x 512mb CORSAIR XMS Xtreme Memory Speed Series, Xtra-Low Latency 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 w/ Platinum Heat Spreader @ 2-2-2-5, 2 gigs total
-2x wd 160 gig sata drives...no raid config yet
-2x dual layer combo drives
-510w-650w sli approved power supply(nvidia)from pc power and cooling
-22 in viewsonic crt monitor..

saturnotaku
03-21-05, 06:01 AM
please help i am using easy tune 5 from gygabyte tech to over clock

Well for starters, don't use Windows/software-based programs. There are plenty of guides on the web that will show you what settings to change in the BIOS. Just make sure your power supply and cooling are up to snuff.

PaiN
03-21-05, 06:22 AM
If all you want is a 100mhz OC.....it should be a simple matter of turning up the FBS from the default 200mhz to 207 or 208mhz, with maybe a small bump in Vdimm for stability
You sound new to Ocing, so take saturn's advice and read up alittle and get an idea of what you're doing.

$n][pErMan
03-21-05, 02:03 PM
2 months ago I had no real clue how to safely OC .... toook that time to research up on it more... get a good fan... confirm some things and take the huge jump after a month of small steps to learn. :) Key to overclocking = patience.... otherwise you will fry **** real fast!

Riptide
03-21-05, 09:06 PM
Well for starters, don't use Windows/software-based programs.One exception. Clockgen works wonders when trying to overclock. Especially if you have a motherboard that doesn't want to POST at a certain fsb speed but will run OK once booted. ;)

JoKeRr
03-21-05, 09:16 PM
[pErMan']2 months ago I had no real clue how to safely OC .... toook that time to research up on it more... get a good fan... confirm some things and take the huge jump after a month of small steps to learn. :) Key to overclocking = patience.... otherwise you will fry **** real fast!

instead of good fan, I think it should be a good HSF. U can put a delta or tornado on top of the fx55, and without a heatsink, it'll still burn in hell.

I recommend Thermalright XP120 with 120mm Panaflo, many ppl run their FX55 at 3ghz with that combo.

$n][pErMan
03-21-05, 10:13 PM
instead of good fan, I think it should be a good HSF. U can put a delta or tornado on top of the fx55, and without a heatsink, it'll still burn in hell.
Well ya .. good HSF is a given I thought :p Clearly a bad heatsink and good fan still = bad cooling solution :)

JoKeRr
03-21-05, 11:34 PM
[pErMan']Well ya .. good HSF is a given I thought :p Clearly a bad heatsink and good fan still = bad cooling solution :)

I knew what u meant, but didn't want to see newbies making dumb mistake with a 1000 dollar processor/ :angel:

Strahd
03-22-05, 04:09 PM
I agree with JoKeRr on the thermaltake xp-120. It dropped my idle/load temps by 12c and I'm leaving it at stock speeds. I hated the fact it ran so hot just idling (50c). In my opinion OC or not, it's worth every penny.