View Full Version : Need upgrade advise

03-21-05, 08:42 AM
I just bought a 2005fpw, and I want to do one last upgrade before I have to overhaul everything when I move to a PCI-E system. Right now my specs are:

P4 3.0c, 1 gig 3200, 6800GT AGP

And I want to move to a AMD 64 3200+ (939) on a MSI K8N Neo2. The reason I want to upgrade is now that I have the new monitor, I'm trying to run everything at 1600x1050 and I've heard that the AMD 64 was better for gaming. My FPS are holding up pretty good right now with the P4 system but they could be better.

Is it worth my time to upgrade now or should I wait 6 months or so and make the move then?

03-21-05, 08:48 AM
Although the Athlon64 most definetly rocks, the truth is a P4 3.0ghz is still pretty respectable. I fear you may be disappointed if you go A64. There would definetly be a performance boost, but probably not as much as you would like. My advice is that you wait for a new video card you really like, and THEN get an A64 S939 with PCIE mobo and PCIE video card.

03-21-05, 08:51 AM
A 3200+ won't do much for you over your current setup. I would suggest either getting a faster P4 or overclocking to tide you over until you're ready to make the move.

03-21-05, 09:19 AM
good advice form both peeps - i'd also just get a faster P4 or O/C.

03-21-05, 09:34 AM
I just went from a P4C 3.0 to an AMD64 3200+ and I am disapointed.

Speaking of that. For the AMD users: what should my system clock speed be set at? It is currently at 200mhz. This is my first AMD and I'm not sure on any of the settings.

03-22-05, 04:06 PM
In all honesty, dude, I wish I had your PC!

Tweak your box until you can go to something better than a 3200+. The increase may not be very noticeable as Redneck mentioned, and it will not justify the $ spent for such a marginal increase.

Stick it out for a bit, tweak what you got, and hold out for a BIG upgrade!