PDA

View Full Version : What tools do you use?

joltcola
03-21-05, 05:56 PM
I was wondering what tools do you use when working computers. Building, repairing, whatever. We all tear these things down and put them together with new stuff. What do you use and where did you get it?

These questions came up when I was working on a computer at a friends house. I brought along a screwdriver and some needlenose pliers. Everyone else had full sets with every tool imaginable.

-- jolt

RealLifePixelShader
03-21-05, 06:01 PM
a magnetic star or philips screw driver a paper clip to open cdrom drives or remove jumper. And a paint brush to clean dust of stuff and thats about it.

You don't really need more that a screw driver. Kind works for most things even killing your boss or hacking into a server.

SH64
03-21-05, 06:02 PM
Screwdriver + & - .. thats pretty much all what i use even when buliding PCs :D

|MaguS|
03-21-05, 06:09 PM
I got this little tool kit from Radioshack made just for working on PCs.

Clay
03-21-05, 06:14 PM
Besides the obvious I use the following: variety of needle-nose pliers in different sizes tweezers of various lengths forceps the smaller head eyeglass-repair screw drivers duct tape electrical tape velcro zip ties Dremel w/flex shaft (http://dremel.com/productdisplay/tool_kit_template.asp?SKU=3956-02&Color=99CCFF) snake lights piece of thick glass for lapping various grit wet/dry auto sandpaper for lapping rubbing alcohol acetone Q-tips various cut flat files and some other stuff

Clay
03-21-05, 06:16 PM
I got this little tool kit from Radioshack made just for working on PCs.
I've got one of those that my father gave me years ago. You can spend hundreds of dollars on elaborate kits but that sucker right there is all you need 99% of the time. :)

saturnotaku
03-21-05, 06:29 PM
I have a toolkit similar to that which my mom bought me before I went to college. I use it all the time. It's one of the best gifts I've ever received.

joltcola
03-21-05, 06:49 PM
Besides the obvious I use the following: variety of needle-nose pliers in different sizes tweezers of various lengths forceps the smaller head eyeglass-repair screw drivers duct tape electrical tape velcro zip ties Dremel w/flex shaft (http://dremel.com/productdisplay/tool_kit_template.asp?SKU=3956-02&Color=99CCFF) snake lights piece of thick glass for lapping various grit wet/dry auto sandpaper for lapping rubbing alcohol acetone Q-tips various cut flat files and some other stuff

Thats what i'm talking about!

I've got a ton of tools for working on cars and such. I just didn't think it would be good idea to stick them next to motherboards and such =p

cool.. thx for the replies guys.

-- jolt

Daneel Olivaw
03-21-05, 06:51 PM
A screwdriver... and my nails. And compressed air, some rubbing alcohol, and arctic silver.

I have used a 80mm drill too... and a small drill for screw holes.

Most useful tools are software. I have absolutely no clue why Clay has all those tools... And I've build A LOT of computers. ;)

Clay
03-21-05, 07:08 PM
I have absolutely no clue why Clay has all those tools... And I've build A LOT of computers. ;)
Ok here you go :angel:

variety of needle-nose pliers in different sizes (for reaching stuff that I drop into crevices inside the case) tweezers of various lengths (see above) forceps (see above) the smaller head eyeglass-repair screw drivers (for, smaller screws that I don't want to strip out) duct tape (c'mon, it's duct tape! :D ) electrical tape (cheap way to wrap loose cables instead of using conduit) velcro (for mounting hard drives in odd spots, etc) zip ties (for wire mgmt among other uses) Dremel w/flex shaft (http://dremel.com/productdisplay/tool_kit_template.asp?SKU=3956-02&Color=99CCFF) (for everything) snake lights (hands free lighting in odd areas) piece of thick glass for lapping various grit wet/dry auto sandpaper for lapping rubbing alcohol acetone Q-tips various cut flat files and some other stuff

JoKeRr
03-21-05, 09:24 PM
1 screw driver, 1 pair of hands, 1 beer.

No need to involve my penis or my semens.

Rytr
03-21-05, 09:40 PM
Magnifying glass! :D

six_storm
03-21-05, 10:20 PM
a magnetic star

Don't use ANY magnetic tools when working on a PC. Somebody was joking around one day and handed me a magnetic screwdriver when installing a Hard Drive. Needless to say, it screwed the hard drive up pretty bad. That's the only real experience I've had, but other things can mess up too.

As for my toolkit, I was required to buy one at the beginning of a semester a while back. I still use it to this day. It sorta looks like magnus's toolkit.

Riptide
03-21-05, 10:22 PM
Wierd. I've seen people use magnetized screwdrivers on many occasions with no obvious ill effects. It usually takes a pretty strong magnet to truly do damage.

TierMann
03-21-05, 10:55 PM
I've got one of these http://209.35.185.42/ShopSite/Victorinox_CyberTool_29_Function_with_Black_Onyx_R uby_Sapphire_handles.html

There's also the cybertool 41 with more gadgets http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/3653/
or one with a usb stick too.

Daneel Olivaw
03-22-05, 12:47 AM
Don't use ANY magnetic tools when working on a PC. Somebody was joking around one day and handed me a magnetic screwdriver when installing a Hard Drive. Needless to say, it screwed the hard drive up pretty bad. That's the only real experience I've had, but other things can mess up too.

As for my toolkit, I was required to buy one at the beginning of a semester a while back. I still use it to this day. It sorta looks like magnus's toolkit.

I once intentionnaly put a mother of a huge magnet on a HD, moved it around a bit... then on a floppy, move it around. Then I checked everything and all was fine. I'm pretty sure a small magnetised screwdriver won't do much harm.

And thanks Clay. I do also use a sort of 3pin plier to get fallen screws.

$n][pErMan
03-22-05, 02:35 AM
Honestly... if im lazy and dont feel like going to my workshop where I build computers for customers... I use the same tools I use to work on my car ... lol. I clean them off of course.... ussually. :p Although a few of the really small tools are for just the computer.

SH64
03-22-05, 03:56 PM
Magnifying glass! :D

Best tool ever ! :D

Greg
03-23-05, 04:48 AM
I bought a kit many years ago like that pictured by egbtmagus. It has proved quite useful. I also have a 'dust cloth' that collects dust extremely well, and a paint brush for cleaning HSFs.

My favorite tool however, is 'The Claw' (Yellow thing 4th from the right in his picture). Great for retrieving a dropped screw, or holding one to screw into a hard to reach location.

Darth Rancid
03-23-05, 05:10 AM
I use a screwdriver... usually I have several screwdrivers around when I take things apart... I may only need one, but the prescence of many makes me feel more powerful. :D

Rytr
03-23-05, 01:30 PM
My basic tools:
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/140/140734/folders/196008/1478281Basic.jpg

A cosmetic brush is good as it has soft bristles and of course a tooth brush with stiffer bristles. I do not have a good habit of using a wrist strap (I included one in the pic) but static electricity does not go well with electrical components found in a pc.

Clay
03-23-05, 01:35 PM
My basic tools:
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/140/140734/folders/196008/1478281Basic.jpg

A cosmetic brush is good as it has soft bristles and of course a tooth brush with stiffer bristles. I do not have a good habit of using a wrist strap (I included one in the pic) but static electricity does not go well with electrical components found in a pc.
Nice! Pics! :) This is crazy, I have the same plier set (the gold and black one you have there in the middle-front)...and I use cosmetic brushes too for dusting! I found one in a chair at an airport in Detroit one time and have kept it for that purpose ever since. (shut up Gib! :angel: )

Marcos
03-23-05, 02:17 PM
damn i love dust off. I swear by it. And thanks to punk kids I have to present ID when I buy it...wtf..... whos idea was it to get high off of dust off.

$n][pErMan
03-23-05, 03:39 PM
damn i love dust off. I swear by it. I just use a small air compressor. You can get them fairly cheap and you can use them for a lot of applications :)