PDA

View Full Version : Why is my CPU so hot???

keith33
03-21-05, 09:31 PM
With a stock heatsink my CPU ranges between 36 degrees and 52 degrees load. This is all fine and good; however, when I'm doing completely NOTHING (the workstation is sitting there with nothing open besides firefox/winamp/acrobat, it rises up to about 50 degrees. Then without doing anything it lowers itself slowly back down to ~42 again. What's going on? It doesn't happen consistently either, just once in awhile.

Rytr
03-21-05, 09:34 PM
Are the rpm's on your fan staying constant? Might want to double check your temps with a temp probe or another software program.

JoKeRr
03-21-05, 09:50 PM
if u want to give it to me, I will try to find out for you gladly.

keith33
03-21-05, 10:54 PM
It's been going at around 42 degrees this entire time with a heatsink fan rpm of between 4000 and 4200. I'll monitor it when it gets hotter again.

gmontem
03-21-05, 11:06 PM
How efficient is the PSU? I just changed my PSU to Seasonic's S12-430 which has an 80% efficiency rating and noticed a nice drop in my CPU temps from >50C to 46C. The higher the efficiency rating the less power is wasted away as heat.

keith33
03-21-05, 11:21 PM
How efficient is the PSU? I just changed my PSU to Seasonic's S12-430 which has an 80% efficiency rating and noticed a nice drop in my CPU temps from >50C to 46C. The higher the efficiency rating the less power is wasted away as heat.

That's a good point, to be honest I'm not quite sure how efficient my PSU is. This is what I read on www.silentpcreview.com though:

2. EFFICIENCY was very good. The efficiency / power output ratio curve is quite flat, and efficiency did not start to drop until above 300W - above the highest wattage draw in most systems. For most of the range in which this power supply is likely to be used, efficiency remained between 77~78%. Although there are a few power supplies with efficiency in the low to mid-eighties, these tend to be at 60~80% of rated power, where few system ever reach. In the realistic power draw range, this power supply is close to the best we've measured.

MUYA
03-22-05, 07:37 AM
I think that something like a virus scan is running in the background? Hmm I have noticed that Acrobat 6 and Firefox combination really hogs the CPU and I get 51+c temps on my FX53!!! That s the same as when gaming etc!!!

saturnotaku
03-22-05, 09:04 AM
I have the same "problem" with Firefox as well. For whatever reason it causes my CPU temps to spike. I'm not really bothered with it because my CPU never goes above 47, even when running Folding@Home 24/7.

The Punisher
03-22-05, 11:06 AM
Firefox is indeed system resource intensive. It'll happily gobble up 100MB+ of RAM if u hav multiple tabs open too. I still love it, beats IE6 hands down ;)

Viffer5
03-22-05, 04:36 PM
Does your system have the CnQ feature? Is it possible that the system board is regulating the fan speed/proessor speed as per case conditions?

4000rpm sounds high for a fan. I usually keep my processor fan below 3500rpm because any faster, the case screws start to work themselves loose and the case starts dancing across the floor! Ummm... it makes an aweful racket is what I'm saying!

keith33
03-23-05, 12:28 AM
Yes I'm running CnQ. The board regulates the CPU speed by changing the multiplier and takes down the fan. The fan used to always run at 5400 rpm on the heatsink, now it runs around 5000 while idle (still don't know why). The stock fans on my WaveMaster case are running at some insane speed like 6000 rpms during load and like 4000 during idle (these are the ones plugged into the board - so I really need to ditch these).

If I get a good heatsink, perhaps I can turn off CnQ providing the fan isn't that loud. What's the best air cooling heatsink money can buy for an FX? (Hopefully something that I can use the stock retention plate with because I've had no luck getting that off). Also should I replace the case fans as well? They seem to whine a lot.

Marcos
03-23-05, 07:48 AM
turn off cool&quiet get a zalman 7000cu or 7700cu depending if the bitch fits or not

edit: oh you have the msi that I do, you would have to go with the 7000cu if you are interested cause the 7700 is too damn big.