PDA

View Full Version : Major XP Problems

HotBBQ
03-23-05, 02:18 AM
I've created a serious problem that I can't seem to fix. I was in the middle of installing the latest Forceware drivers when I realized I hadn't uinstalled the older version. I clicked the cancel button, but I guess it was too late. The installer seemed to finish and asked if I wanted to restart the PC. It gave me a warning that I would have to restart twice due to it having to redetect my mobo software (which is NForce3 250G). I thought I should go ahead and remove the old drivers via the control panel and did so. Everything seemed to uninstall just fine. So I rebooted the computer and I got a BSOD as soon as the PC tried to start up Windows and restarted itself. This happened two more times before I interrupted it and booted from last known good configuration. This allowed Windows to boot up. Once I logged in, though, everything was fubared. None of the NVidia drivers were installed and I cannot seem to reinstall them. When I try, the setup program starts, but just stops right after the extraction of the files. I have no internet access (working from my Linux partition) and apparently no registered video card. Any ideas on what the hell happened and how I can fix it?

Demanufakture
03-23-05, 03:03 AM
umm, sorry but maybe a reformat and reinstall of xp is in order. Or maybe someone else can help you find a way to restore your xp setup. Anytime I mess up my system like that I just do a reinstall of the system.

Superfly
03-23-05, 03:42 AM
if you use system restore then i'd try rolling back with that - if like me you dont then I'd try driver cleaner & a reg cleaner both in safe mode (for your mobo and forceware drivers) then re-install them both also in safe mode.

if that dont work then I reckon a reformat & re-install is in order.

macatak
03-23-05, 04:38 AM
Are there any nVidia Drivers showing up in 'add/remove programs' ?

HotBBQ
03-23-05, 11:47 AM
No, no Nvidia software is available to uninstall.

Nexnecis
03-23-05, 02:34 PM
You can try booting into safe mode (F8 before the Xp logo comes up), run Driver Cleaner (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3214.html) , and then try to install the driver setup (all inside safe mode). I've had problems installing Nvidia's chipset drivers especially when not in safe mode.

NemesisChild
03-23-05, 02:45 PM
I'm not familar with the Linux system, but try a manual installation.
Unpack the driver files to a directory of your choice.
If your showing just a VGA controller in device manager, then update the driver from here.
The driver files apparently didn't install properly, this is why your video card isn't showing up in the control panel. You may also have to reinstall your mobo software as well.
Two other options (discussed above): system restore to an earlier time when you knew everything was working fine & reformat/reinstall XP.

grey_1
03-23-05, 06:58 PM
If you have ntfs support built in to your distro, access your xp from nix and manually delete all the unpacked nvidia folders you can find, should just be /C:Program files/nvidia corporation, maybe another for nvmixer. reboot into safe mode as stated above, driver cleaner, then reboot, let it autodetect, reboot again. Worked for me, hope it does for U :)

TierMann
03-23-05, 07:15 PM
You can write to ntfs file systems from linux? Which kernel added this?
(I know there's a "safe writing" option, but that only lets you overwrite a file with the same length so it's pretty pointless)

I'm gonna have to go with running driver cleaner in safe mode like Nexnecis suggested.
Even if it's not showing in Add/Remove, you may still have them sitting around or old registry entries.

grey_1
03-23-05, 09:47 PM
I have 2.6.10 (Kanotix-debian), Cut, copy, paste isn't a problem here. I use it mostly to just move files back and forth. DC is definetly the best option ref. here (http://bisqwit.iki.fi/story/howto/ntfs/) . The "can't delete" Doesn't seem to apply tho :)