PDA

View Full Version : Best 6800 GT video card?

loafer87gt
03-23-05, 02:17 PM
I am having quite a few problems with my BFG 6800 GT card. The card runs at about 74-75 at idle, and causes my machine to randomly reboot with a Silent Running - Stress Test transition L2 > L1 error. I recently added in a Sparkle / FSP 550 Watt power supply (28 amps on main 12v rail) thinking this might address this issue but unfortunately it did not. As such, I am thinking about returning the card to the store for a different card.

I have read quite a few comments regarding the dual fan cooling on the BFG cards being inferior to the stock Nvidia reference design and I am wondering if this might be why I am experiencing such high temps. The local shop said that I could exchange the card for a XFX or LeadTek card if I so desired. Is there any chance I would be able to overclock either of these cards up to the BFG 6800 GT level of performance? Right now, I am able to run my card at up to 380 Core / 1020 memory without artifacts. Anything higher than that though, and its triangle artifact city.

From the looks of things the LeadTek card has quite a substantial cooler. How well does this perform? Is it equal to or better than the Nvidia reference design?

Thanks in advance for any information.

NemesisChild
03-23-05, 02:25 PM
I have the same card, but replaced the twin fan HS with an NV5.
From reading other posts and my own experience, I don't feel the twin fan design does an adequate job of keeping the card adequately cool. It appears that the reference design does a better job.
Keep in mind that overclocking a card is "luck of the draw".
The exact cards from the same manaufacturer rarely OC in the same manner.
From what I've read (and my own personal experience), you should get 400/1100 with most GT's.

TierMann
03-23-05, 03:09 PM
If it's failing the stress test, the card may be bad.
But for temps you may want to look at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46977 depending on what driver you're running.
Mine runs 57/37 idle with the stock dual fan.

loafer87gt
03-23-05, 05:07 PM
Just picked up a replacement BFG6800 GT card and am putting it in my machine now.Will let you know how the new card works.

JoKeRr
03-23-05, 05:13 PM
is it a reference design this time??

loafer87gt
03-23-05, 07:32 PM
Nope, all the new BFG boards are now the twin fan design :( Anyways, same thing - the machine still locks up after running for a few minutes and then automatically reboots. I did get a blue screen one time with the the nv4 infinite loop error.

Right now I am running the Real Time HDR-IBL demo to test the stability of the card. The strange thing is, it doesn't matter what speed the core or mem is at, the thing still locks up. Just for curiousities sake I installed coolbits and did the auto detect and it recommended 420/1110 for my card, and I was surprised to find HDR IBL ran artifact free until my machine rebooted.

I also picked up another power supply (Enermax 6501 - 550 Watts - 36 amps on 12v rail) and this did not seem to help things at all either. I'm stumped. The bios on the board is 5.40.02.15.05 . I am running the card in an Asus p4p800 board. My Cpu is not overclocked.

JoKeRr
03-23-05, 07:58 PM
waht CPU?? and is the case well vented?? how many exhaust fans?? If u have a prescott, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some heat problem. btw, I thought BFG went for the Twinfan, and went back to the reference design. Guess they're at it again.

loafer87gt
03-23-05, 08:28 PM
I called BFG and they said that their early cards used the ref fan, and then they went to the twin fan solution and that all new cards use this design. The only cards in their line up to use the ref cooler is the ultra whitebox cards.

My CPU is a 3.0 Northwood which under max load hits around 45 C, but usually stays well below this. My case is Antec with two front 80 mm fans and two rear 80 mm fans. My Enermax power supply also has a 90 mm fan in the bottom which sucks hot air out of case and blows it out the rear. Ambient case temps are around 25 C (room temp).

Right now I have downclocked the card to 350 and it has been running HDR for the past half hour. It would really suck to have to run my card below its rated speed, but if this will fix the problem I guess I can live with it.

ninja44
03-23-05, 09:13 PM
Do the whitebox 6800 GT OC PCI-E cards use the reference fan too?

TeaEtchSee
03-23-05, 09:39 PM
I am having quite a few problems with my BFG 6800 GT card. The card runs at about 74-75 at idle, and causes my machine to randomly reboot with a Silent Running - Stress Test transition L2 > L1 error. I recently added in a Sparkle / FSP 550 Watt power supply (28 amps on main 12v rail) thinking this might address this issue but unfortunately it did not. As such, I am thinking about returning the card to the store for a different card.

I have read quite a few comments regarding the dual fan cooling on the BFG cards being inferior to the stock Nvidia reference design and I am wondering if this might be why I am experiencing such high temps. The local shop said that I could exchange the card for a XFX or LeadTek card if I so desired. Is there any chance I would be able to overclock either of these cards up to the BFG 6800 GT level of performance? Right now, I am able to run my card at up to 380 Core / 1020 memory without artifacts. Anything higher than that though, and its triangle artifact city.

From the looks of things the LeadTek card has quite a substantial cooler. How well does this perform? Is it equal to or better than the Nvidia reference design?

Thanks in advance for any information.

What drivers are u using? theres a temp bug out there...

LeadTEKS are nice :) WINFOX is useful for OCin and BIOS FLASHIN.

Hawk7seven7
03-24-05, 12:33 AM
I called BFG and they said that their early cards used the ref fan, and then they went to the twin fan solution and that all new cards use this design. The only cards in their line up to use the ref cooler is the ultra whitebox cards.

My CPU is a 3.0 Northwood which under max load hits around 45 C, but usually stays well below this. My case is Antec with two front 80 mm fans and two rear 80 mm fans. My Enermax power supply also has a 90 mm fan in the bottom which sucks hot air out of case and blows it out the rear. Ambient case temps are around 25 C (room temp).

Right now I have downclocked the card to 350 and it has been running HDR for the past half hour. It would really suck to have to run my card below its rated speed, but if this will fix the problem I guess I can live with it.

If you're having stability issues raise your AGP voltage .1 volts at a time until it stabalizes, .1 or .2 should be enough. Also make sure the airflow in your case is good becuase high temps in your computer case can cause tearing, artifacts, and freezing. If none of that works, download Memtest86 to do a diagnosis of your computers system memory to assure that is okay. And lastly if everyhing checks out such as virus and spyware scans, etc, and all else fails i'd reccomend doing a clean install of your OS.

jAkUp
03-24-05, 03:00 AM
Did you try turning off Fastwrites, and/or sideband addressing? Make sure to reflash to the last mobo bios also.

rohit
03-24-05, 08:28 AM
yeah u can do that..the AGP voltage thingy.
Btw Leadteks a400GT's are pretty good. Very silent..and my temps (in RHTHB...wateva ) are 52*C Idle/66-68*C Load after 15mins of rhthi...
My Case isnt properly ventilated either.. thers a chimney thing to suck air for the CPU..and a 120mm Case fan at the bak.i am running leadtek drivers 67.03 whql.

loafer87gt
03-24-05, 10:32 AM
You guys rock! Upper the AGP VDDQ voltage on my motherboard from the default to 1.7 and she has now been running dual prime 95 / Realtime HDR IBL at 420/1100 speeds with no hiccups for the past two hours. Temps are hitting as high as 87 which seems kinda high but I can live with that as long as its stable.

Now why wouldn't the tech guy at BFG have told me to try this?

Cheers!

ViN86
03-24-05, 11:22 AM
ive heard that increasing AGP voltage rarely helps with OC or anything of the sort. if you think about it, your molex connector draws as much power as it needs.

my dual fan design works very well. my load temps are 70-75 at 400/1100. i would check into a NV5 if youre unhappy with the cooler. BFG's customer service and warranty are too good (imo) to pass up. ;)

rohit
03-24-05, 01:14 PM
Now why wouldn't the tech guy at BFG have told me to try this?

Coz figiting with the voltage does DAMAGE the card. And if done..and if they found out, then warranty is void.

in ur case, with an O/C to 420 on core, it was required (i think)

loafer87gt
03-24-05, 05:08 PM
Well it's ran rock solid all day without a crash. Rohit: Before, even at stock speeds, the card would lockup causing my whole machine to reboot. Now, it is very stable even overclocked.

Once again, thanks for tips.

Hawk7seven7
03-24-05, 05:52 PM
Well it's ran rock solid all day without a crash. Rohit: Before, even at stock speeds, the card would lockup causing my whole machine to reboot. Now, it is very stable even overclocked.

Once again, thanks for tips.

Hi, i'm glad my suggestion worked out. I first found out about it from ATI, a friends computer would crash like yours and was told by ATI tech support that some motherboards need to have the stock agp volate raised to work stable with their product. No worries about damage, you'll be fine, and besides you have the lifetime warranty with BFG, so no worries x2. Also overclocked boards especially benifit from the extra .1 or .2 voltage increase. As for cooling you have many options available to you if you wish to cool things down, 1st would be better fans, less wireing bottlenecking air throughput, and finally liquid cooling. Anyway have fun.

P.S. For fan cooling, it's not just about how many fans, but in which directions you have the air flow set to. For example, if you have fans in the front of your case blowing air out the front, as well as the fans blowing air out of the back, you have no air flow despite all the fans, the fans in front are defeating the function of the ones in back. Think of the fans in your PC's case and their direction as the flow of a river, you want it to all go in one direction and out the other. Typically you will set set any fans in front of the case to pull cool outside air in and the fans on the back of the case can then pull it out, for a steady flow and heat transfer that will keep things cool.