PDA

View Full Version : My First Attempt @ OC'ing CPU

Pages : [1] 2 3

SLippe
03-24-05, 02:07 PM
I set the Multiplyer to 12x, normally 11x.
I set the voltage to 1.8, normally 1.5 or 1.6, can't remember.
I set the fsb clock to 203mhz, normally 200.
I know it's not a big increase, but...

Any other suggestions or ideas? Kinda new at this.

http://www.slippe.com/images/screenshots/cpu_overclock.jpg

MUYA
03-24-05, 02:30 PM
That's not bad. :)

SLippe
03-24-05, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure it's entirely stable. I haven't had any problems in Windows, but I've tried benchmarking and it has frozen, crashed to the desktop, and one time my monitor shut off and my tower was beeping like mad at me. I thought originally that maybe some of my setting in Rivatuner was crashing the benchmark tests i.e. 3dMark03. I am going to try to play a few games now and see it those work okay. Anyone recommend a good heatsink for me?

cooliscool
03-24-05, 03:07 PM
Well then it isn't stable. ;)

Make sure it isn't getting too hot. If nothing works to make 2.44Ghz stable, take it to 2.2GHz. That's not bad for an AthlonXP at all. You could drop the multiplier down load and bump up the FSB, which will give you more performance then just increasing the multiplier will.

A good heatsink huh? That depends on how much you want to spend. The Zalman CNPS series are great, but a bit pricey ($30+ USD).. If yuo don't want to spend much (no more than $20 USD), get none other than Speeze.. I have one of their all copper coolers on my P4 which I bought for $12 at Newegg and it cools much better than my old Vantec AeroFlow could ever dream of. :)

SLippe
03-24-05, 03:23 PM
I checked my cpu temp in the BIOS and it fluctuates between 52' C and 54' C (125' F and 129' F). That sounds a bit hot to me, especially at idle. I don't know how hot it gets under load. 2.2ghz is what it is at default. Until I get a new cpu heatsink, I may just put it back down to default speed.

Daneel Olivaw
03-24-05, 03:38 PM
You know, upping voltages from 1.5 to 1.8 is bit much (insane) and is probably the cause of the overheating, you should first try to find the max clock at std voltage. Raising just the multiplier would allow you to single out the CPU and you'd find the max CPU clock stable at stock volts.

Then, when you have an idea of what your cpu is capable of, you can play with volts and FSB.

SLippe
03-24-05, 03:46 PM
Okay, thanks.

I set the voltage and fsb back to default. I left the multiplier at 12x which gave me 2.400ghz and NHL 2005 seemed to run okay, until I tried to exit and then it froze. So, I set everything back to default for now and I'll try again later. I will look into getting a new heatsink, also. I don't think it's getting too hot, I think just some of the settings were too high.

nIghtorius
03-24-05, 04:05 PM
Okay, thanks.

I set the voltage and fsb back to default. I left the multiplier at 12x which gave me 2.400ghz and NHL 2005 seemed to run okay, until I tried to exit and then it froze. So, I set everything back to default for now and I'll try again later. I will look into getting a new heatsink, also. I don't think it's getting too hot, I think just some of the settings were too high.

dload Prime95 and do a torturetest.. You'll find out soon if your OC is stable or not.. I can OC my Athlon64 to 2.6Ghz NP. It will even run 24 hours stable with all the games I have.. but... technically.. it's not stable.. since Prime95 quits after 12 minutes of torturetest..

@ current speed (2.53Ghz instead of the default 2.2Ghz) I can prime95 all day long.. ;)

there different ways of OCing.. the first one and it will not always work (especially not on my CPU) is raising the multiplier. many CPU's are multiplier locked. yours seem not to be. this actually makes OC'ing simpler..

raising your FSB.. raising your front side bus speed (or hypertransportbus speed in my case) also increases the final clockspeed of your processor.. (multi*fsb/htt)=clockspeed. This type of OC'ing wields the most performance increase. since everything goes up.. memory interface speed.. bus speeds.. but also it doesn't only stress your CPU but it will also stress your mainboard and memory.. In other words.. your OC can fail for more reasons.. it could be the memory, could be your northbridge.. or your processor. with multiplier OC'ing the only component that can fail is your CPU.

SLippe
03-24-05, 04:08 PM
I'll check it out. Also, looks like my default voltage is 1.65 and my default multiplier is 11. So, seems that I may not be able to up my multiplier by much, maybe 11.5 is highest.

nIghtorius
03-24-05, 04:11 PM
I'll check it out. Also, looks like my default voltage is 1.65 and my default multiplier is 11. So, seems that I may not be able to up my multiplier by much, maybe 11.5 is highest.

Upping your voltage may increase stability.. but it also increase heat alot.. and you may sacrifice your processors lifespan.

SLippe
03-24-05, 04:26 PM
Okay, so since my default mulitplier is 11, looks like 11.5 it is. Now, should I mess with the fsb clock? Never touch the voltage?

Here's the heatsink/fan I hope to get soon...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-119&depa=0

$n][pErMan
03-24-05, 05:36 PM
Check my SIG.... My overclock is on an XP2800 and im at 2.5ghz with 400FSB (I can acctually go much higher probably.. have yet to try) ... and guess what ... my voltage is only 1.725v and stable. I bought a pretty good fan too .. idle at 39c and load at 46 - 47c. Was my first really big oc... its a lot of fun .. but be carefull and watch your temps closely.

SLippe
03-24-05, 06:12 PM
I think I'm just going to leave it at default until I get my new heatsink.

$n][pErMan
03-24-05, 06:19 PM
I think I'm just going to leave it at default until I get my new heatsink. Wise choice. You can always OC slightly with stock HSF.... but if u wanna go full force... best to have good cooling. I have the SAME EXACT fan you posted in the link .. its amazing. Great OCing fan... I love mine :D best of all .. when you go 64bit ... it will also work on 64bit chips too. Just make sure your motherboard will support that fan. :) It acctually took me about a hour to install because you have to take everything out of your computer to get to the back of the motherboard to mount the supports. its easy ... just be patient.... badass fan! :D

SLippe
03-25-05, 02:16 AM
Yeah, at 109mm's across or 4.2933 inches, I'll measure before I buy it to see it if will fit. The only thing it might hit in my system is the psu. An hour? Crap, that's a lot of work for a heatsink, but if it will fit, I'll get it. Just not looking forward to taking everything out...bleh!

nIghtorius
03-25-05, 08:40 AM
Yeah, at 109mm's across or 4.2933 inches, I'll measure before I buy it to see it if will fit. The only thing it might hit in my system is the psu. An hour? Crap, that's a lot of work for a heatsink, but if it will fit, I'll get it. Just not looking forward to taking everything out...bleh!

Yeah and if you think that the 7000 series was huge ass.. try looking for the 7700-Cu version.. a 120MM fan fits right in there :eek: and it's heavy (900+ grams)

SLippe
03-25-05, 09:33 AM
I'm wondering now if maybe the instability might be memory related? Does that make sense? Or maybe back off the voltage, as 1.8v seemed high to most people. Maybe something around 1.7xx volts? I don't think it was heat related, because as far as I could tell, the temps seem about the same at normal clocks. Hmmmm. I can't imagine not being able to up the multiplier more than two steps, 11-11.5-12. So maybe try 12x, 203fsb and 1.7xx volts? Also, my memory is 8-3-3-2.5 and as far as I can tell from reading on the internet, that I might only be able to change the 8 to a 6 and that's it. That sound right? I see most people have 2-2-2-5 or something close. Help a noob out!

$n][pErMan
03-25-05, 01:27 PM
Acctually if your overclocking your FSB past your ram's defualt speed it means you want looser timings on your memory.... so 8 sounds right (its what mines set at and works great). You have about the same ram as me.... not sure what kind of corsair.. but you have the same brand and type. Also... you have a 3200+ ... which acctually sort of limits your OC'ing (Unless you can unlock your chip through a mod). Its a barton core though so thats good. First I would try just a FSB OC.... and find the max FSB your system can run at stable and then back off by like a mhz or 2. Once you know the fastest FSB you can then tinker around with the Mult. to get the desired Ghz out of your CPU. Id also reccomend about 1.725 - 1.775v on the Vcore (im at 1.725v now with (200FSB x 12.5Mult. = 2500mhz) on my Barton core). It was slightly easier for me as my XP2800 had a defualt FSB of 333mhz so the Mult. was locked higher (at 12.5) so a FSB OC was more than enough for me to get my desired performance. I would not try any of this till you get your fan. Also make sure you have proper case cooling and a good heatsink and/or fan on your NorthBridge (passive is fine if its big enough).

SLippe
03-25-05, 02:39 PM
Right now I'm at 203mhz fsb and 1.725v, but that only put my clock speed at 2239.46mhz. Not much of a increase.

I have more than enough on case cooling...6 fans, 5x80mm and 1x90mm.

EDIT: Okay, added an 11.5 multiplier and now at 2341.23mhz. My cpu temp has only gone up a couple degrees. I'll try playing NHL 2005 now, as I never got thru a game yesterday. Also, if that works, I'll run some benchmarks again.

$n][pErMan
03-25-05, 03:20 PM
^ Just remember... I would keep going on a FSB overclock untill its unstable from the FSB speeds then back off slightly. You will notice more of a performance increase by doing this as EVERYTHING will run fast... not just the CPU. Only after you have hit your FSB max would I start to mess with the Mult. in your case. Im sure you also know to make sure your running at a 1:1 ratio of FSB and memory. AMD's love 1:1. Plus... just wait for that fan... my CPU runs cooler at my OC'ed speeds than it did with stock HSF at stock speeds ... hehe. :) JUst remember when you get than fan to seat it perfectly... I put to much cooling compound on the first time and it hit 80c at boot (which scared the **** out of me). I reseated it and all was good again. BTW... it only took me an hour because I had to take everything out of my case to get to the motherboard and take it out.... if you have a way to get to the back of the motherboard without taking it out... you should be able to do it faster ;) BTW... ive been running stable for some time now... gonna try for 2.6ghz later today. :D

SLippe
03-25-05, 04:50 PM
203 is the highest I could get on fsb. It wouldn't boot at 204, which is kinda strange isn't it?

I just ran 3dMark2001se (I know, I know) and lost 500 points at the above clocks compared to my score when I ran it at the clocks in the first post. WTF?

Is there any danger setting the ratio to 1:1?

Oh yeah, I watched my cpu temp while playing NHL 2005 and it never got above 61'C, mostly stayed at 60'C. I used NTune, which is okay, I guess, but it never shows the correct voltage for my cpu. I have it set at 1.725 in BIOS, but ntune shows it at 1.775. And like when I had it at default, which it should be 1.65, ntune showed it at 1.85. Anyways...

Daneel Olivaw
03-25-05, 05:30 PM
Slack yyour ram latencies, that might be why you can't increase fsb

SLippe
03-25-05, 05:32 PM
Slack yyour ram latencies, that might be why you can't increase fsb

Elaborate, please.

superklye
03-25-05, 05:39 PM
Elaborate, please.
If your RAM timings are at, say, 2-3-3-6 put them to 3-6-6-8 and see if it's more stable.

SLippe
03-25-05, 05:42 PM
They're at 8-3-3-2.5 or 3.0. I'll have to check on that last one. Yeah, I noticed earlier when I was changing the fsb clock in BIOS, it was automatically changing the tras. At one point it went up to 9 and the bottom one went from the 2.5 to 3.0. Have noticed the middle two 3's changing. Will setting my ratio to 1:1 produce more heat?