PDA

View Full Version : Can't get SLI to enable on DFI SLI mobo

monkeydust
03-25-05, 05:30 AM
I got my RMA'd parts and I can't get SLI to enable. I have the jumpers set to SLI and the SLI bridge on yet I don't get the option to enable SLI in the 71.84 drivers.

Each BFG 6800 GT has the same BIOS and works in single mode. I have reinstalled windows xp a few times. I have reinstalled the lateste nForce drivers a few times and have tried the newest display driver and beta display driver with no luck.

Any ideas?

Lore
03-25-05, 05:39 AM
I had that problem with the first bios revision on the Asus model, it was a combination of both the graphics driver and mobo bios - i found.
First i would try a good few graphics drivers, if that doesn't work you may have to sit it out for a new mobo bios or as a last resort change your mobo.

Good luck

monkeydust
03-25-05, 06:01 AM
I tried two different mobo BIOS versions and just flashed both cards to the same BIOS but no luck. :(

TheFury
03-25-05, 07:35 AM
I got my RMA'd parts and I can't get SLI to enable. I have the jumpers set to SLI and the SLI bridge on yet I don't get the option to enable SLI in the 71.84 drivers.

Each BFG 6800 GT has the same BIOS and works in single mode. I have reinstalled windows xp a few times. I have reinstalled the lateste nForce drivers a few times and have tried the newest display driver and beta display driver with no luck.

Any ideas?
saw from ur sig, 20inch monitor, i guess that is wide screen and i have posted something about it here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48059
maybe its ur monitor fault

garikfox
03-25-05, 07:49 AM
Something is telling me it might be the SLI jumpers. I had the same problem when i didnt have my SLI EZ-Card in all the way thus not enabling the Dual video. But you have jumpers.

monkeydust
03-25-05, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I have moved them a couple times and still no luck. They are on the SLI mode right now but Windows doesn't see it that way.

skoprowski
03-25-05, 08:19 AM
Wierd......I just set up a dual 6800GT system yesterday with 2 eVGA crds with no issues. I did uninstall the nvidia video drivers before adding the second card and installed the drivers afterward. It has been working perfect for me. We seem to have similar setups.

TheFury
03-25-05, 09:14 AM
did u try plug in a normal monitor ?

monkeydust
03-25-05, 12:55 PM
I have it plugged into a CRT monitor now.

SweetLou
03-25-05, 01:13 PM

Any ideas?
Are you sure that you did not damage the SLI jumpers when you switched them? I damaged one of mine accidentally and didn't realize what I did. Perhaps you should take them off and check to make sure you didn't make a mistake.

H-street
03-25-05, 02:20 PM

Any ideas?

if your RMA's part is like my Evga RMAed 6800GT you have to flash the 2nd bios with the first bios (or vice versa)

just because they say the same version number doesn't make them the same bios..

http://www.mvktech.net/

has a very good SLI flash utility that allows you to backup the bioses from both cards, then to flash the bioses on both cards with the same bios..

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,34/func,view/id,7678/catid,39/

you will notice when you backup the bioses that the 2nd bios, even though it has the same version has a different crc hash..

Just for reference here is how i did mine..

use the above flash util..

load it up (boot disk and all)
there is a menu on there..
choose backup..
you will see it go through the backup steps..
copy the backup/backup01.rom to the root A:/ path.. (the SLI flash takes any *.rom file in root dir)
run the flash menu option..

you should get a warning on the 2nd card, stating that they are different..

monkeydust
03-25-05, 02:55 PM
Earlier, I went to that site and grabbed the BIOS and flashed both cards to it. No difference. :(

J-Mag
03-25-05, 04:06 PM
Yeah i highly doubt it would be BIOS related. Both my BFG 6800GT's have different BIOSes and they work fine in SLI.

Just out of curiosity, do you have another PSU? i am always warry of dual rail PSU's and SLI...

Also, so is the enable SLI checkbox just greyed out for you?

Another possibility: Have you examined all the jumpers to make sure that the little metal piece is in each area that needs to be bridged?

Did you plug in all 4 connectors that are on the DFI board (the floppy and molex connectors mainly, I am assuming you got the 24pin and 4pin)

monkeydust
03-26-05, 06:54 AM
PSU: Not that I can easily hook up. I have had this working in SLI with this PSU before (before RMA's)

SLI checkbox: I don't get a checkbox. It doesn't see my setup as SLI capable

Jumpers: Just checked again. Everything looks fine there. Plus, I have moved them back and forth several times.

Connectors: Everything looks fine there too.

Lore
03-26-05, 04:13 PM
Everything is pointing toward a fault on the motherboard, the cards are working fine, just not in SLI.
I also must add that i had a PSU like yours which was faulty causing lockups and shutdowns, as a result i changed it to an 'Enermax SLI compliant 600w Noisetaker' - everything is running flawless, it's the new model especially for SLI setups.
It is Dual Rail and it's rock solid.

eva2000
03-26-05, 08:08 PM
try different drivers i.e. 71.24, 75.90, 76.10 are good ones to try

MiNdWaRp
12-25-05, 02:42 PM
Hello!

I hate to wake up such an old thread, but I've ended up with the same problem. Only difference is that I'm using BFG 6600GT OCs. I've tried everything I can think of except RMAing my parts, including pretty well every NVIDIA Display Driver I could get. Only other thing I haven't tried is a new PSU, but I didn't think I'd need one since I recently got a new Antec Truepower 550W. Only small concern I have is that it's not a 24-pin, but a 20-pin PSU. This shouldn't affect me really, should it? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

- Mike