PDA

View Full Version : 5-10 Second Freezes on OC?

Absolution
03-26-05, 01:46 AM
Im getting 5-10 second freezes in a few games (WoW/CSS probably more) when I try to OC my card anywhere past 375. I've got the zalman vf 700 cu and its idle/load temps are 52/63 (even on OC). Is my card just a crap OC'er (Don't say that plz lol) or is there some other adjustment I can make? Would increasing APG voltage help at all?

jAkUp
03-26-05, 01:58 AM
Try setting your 2d and 3d speeds to the same speed.

The reason your card is freezing is because if it gets to hot, it throttles itself to keep from damaging the card

$n][pErMan
03-26-05, 02:14 AM
Would increasing APG voltage help at all? Never ... never ... NEVER! .. touch that! :)

Muppet
03-26-05, 06:08 AM
[pErMan']Never ... never ... NEVER! .. touch that! :)

Smart man that Sniperman

Absolution
03-26-05, 10:58 AM
It never gets too hot from what I've seen though, when I monitor temps with rivatuner its always < 70C no matter what during the OC

Lfctony
03-26-05, 12:29 PM
Looks like the usual problem, 6800 - NF3 - OC freezes. Had that with my 6800U, as many other users do. Try disabling Fast Writes.

$n][pErMan
03-26-05, 01:09 PM
Here is an idea to this problem... I used to get it from time to time... 10 -15 second freezes ussually after 30 minutes of play. Only happened maybe once a day on average. That was when I was running stock XP2800+ speeds on my CPU. Ever sense I have been running at 2.5ghz 400FSB OC'ed by a lot..... I have had 0 ... and i mean ZERO!! freezes like that in any games. So maybe this could be CPU related somehow? Im not to sure.. maybe you guys have had similar experiances. :) Although his sig says FX-55... so I doubt CPU is the problem... just in my case apperently it had a big effect.

Morn
03-27-05, 05:25 AM
At what temp would it star to do this?
Why does it appear to have a tendency to do this more with overclocks even if the temps are well within range, and below what makes it freeze when running at stock.
Possibly.... the throttling mechancism is more than just a temperature sensor but detects when the core is not tranismitting electricity reliablity... Maybe that explains why I've never got artifacting with overclocking.

Absolution
03-27-05, 12:53 PM
the temps dont rise when i OC but it just freezes, hmm maybe ill try raising my FSB a bit to see if that would help any and will also try the fast writes thing

btw, does anyone's auto overclock work with the newer drivers? anything past 71.84 gets me strange auto oc results, it oc's in 2d and drops to stock in 3d...

gram_vaz
03-27-05, 03:06 PM
increasing agp voltage in the motherboard bios sometimes can solve problems. i don't know why some ppl treat it as taboo.

$n][pErMan
03-27-05, 06:03 PM
i don't know why some ppl treat it as taboo. Because most people will fry thier cards doing this. First you have to know if your motherboard overvolts or undervolts. If it undervolts it could be a good thing to raise it as it would probably reach the voltage it should be at... if it overvolts it will fry your cards. Seriously... never touch it unless you know 100% what your doing or have no other options.

Absolution
03-27-05, 07:57 PM
wouldnt the card draw more power from the molex if the mb was undervolting the agp port though?

macatak
03-27-05, 08:26 PM
You could also try disabling the 'hidden' NV/ATI Speedup function in the K8N Neo's BIOS.