PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Socket A system board going!?!

Viffer5
03-26-05, 02:01 AM
I'm sick of my Asus A7V600-X and having to downclock my system so I can use 1GB of ram! All the headaches I've run into with the Via chipset has really pissed me off. This board is horrible for overclocking and I'm looking for somehting with LOTS of overclocking potential and rock solif stability.

I want something with SATA on board, firewire would be nice but not essential, NIC, audio I don't really care about. Mostly overclocking, stability, and great chipset.

What do I buy?!? :confused:

jAkUp
03-26-05, 02:04 AM
Abit NF7

Viffer5
03-26-05, 02:14 AM
Ok, thanks for the input. Now why? What would the runner up be? I realize that I may not be able to find some of these as they are becoming obsolete.

rohit
03-26-05, 02:43 AM
ASUS A7N8X / A7N8X-e deluxe. i once read they were good overclockers.

Viffer5
03-26-05, 02:59 AM
Thanks. Maybe I should explain a bit more.

I currently have an Asus A7V600-X system board and I recently learned that it does not support 2 512MB 400MHz dimms. I am running an Athlon XP 3000+ Barton with 200MHz FSB.

The only way I can get the total 1GB ram to work without crashing is run it @ 333. This has a massive performance hit from when I could run just the 1 dim @ 440MHz.

Basicaly, I hate Via chipsets (now at least). I'm guessing that the nForce 2 chipset is the best of the bunch. I have looked at the Asus boards and they are 50% more than the Abit.

Anyone know anything about MSI K7N2 delta 2 Platinum? This comes with the nForce 2 Ultra chipset. This is also the most expensive of the Asus and Abit boards.

BTW, I will most likely water cool so I'm hoping for some nice OC numbers! :D

ChrisRay
03-26-05, 07:42 AM
I have used the Albatron KX18D Pro II, Asus A7N8X Deluxe ((Both are currently working)) and an ABit NF7, Unless you plan onm doing extreme overclocking they all are pretty much the same. My Asus And Albatron seem to Overclock just as well.

ragejg
03-26-05, 08:06 AM
Any Epox 8RDA variant has my vote... great mobos IMO...

superklye
03-26-05, 09:02 AM
Abit NF7
NF7-S rev. 2*

Nutty
03-26-05, 09:21 AM
Yep, got an NF7-S 2.0 (sometimes called Ultra 400) here, and not a single complaint. Awesome board. *cranks soundstorm up* :)

$n][pErMan
03-26-05, 01:03 PM
I know you said your not a fan of VIA at the moment.. but I have the soyo Dragon 2 KT880 and its worked great for me so far ... and for me anyway .. has done very nice OC'ing :)

Tr1cK
03-26-05, 04:43 PM
I have used the Albatron KX18D Pro II, Asus A7N8X Deluxe ((Both are currently working)) and an ABit NF7, Unless you plan onm doing extreme overclocking they all are pretty much the same. My Asus And Albatron seem to Overclock just as well.

2nd on the Alby.

Viffer5
03-27-05, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the input guys!

$n][pErMan, you are fortunate that you have a chip with 12.5x multiplier and a lower stock FSB (166). Cranking that puppy up to 200 gives a nice OC to 2.5GHz. :D

I've got an XP 3000+ so turning it up past 200MHz starts becoming an issue. My goal is to get it 230MHz and have a total clock of 2.415 GHz

Has anyone had success with any of the mentioned boards (I'm leaning towards the Abit NF7-S 2.0) running an FSB of 230MHz?

circuitbreaker8
03-27-05, 11:59 AM
NF7-S or the DFI Lanparty nF2

$n][pErMan
03-27-05, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

$n][pErMan, you are fortunate that you have a chip with 12.5x multiplier and a lower stock FSB (166). Cranking that puppy up to 200 gives a nice OC to 2.5GHz. :D

I've got an XP 3000+ so turning it up past 200MHz starts becoming an issue. My goal is to get it 230MHz and have a total clock of 2.415 GHz

Has anyone had success with any of the mentioned boards (I'm leaning towards the Abit NF7-S 2.0) running an FSB of 230MHz?
Hehe .. you can still find XP2800's online if you have the spare cash ;) My OC is probably most stable than it should be... I was reading on several forums before I did my OC and the max many people got on my CPU was 2.4ghz so I feel lucky and am debating whether or not to push 2.6ghz with 208mhz on the FSB :D Also... have you looked at the possibility of unlocking your CPU via "Speed Strip" or something similiar??? This would give you the option to raise the Mult. when your FSB becomes an issue.

superklye
03-27-05, 01:00 PM
The XP-M 2500 is the OCing chip to have for nFORCE2 platforms. Low voltage = high OCing potential.

Lauwenmark78
03-27-05, 02:20 PM

Yup, I ran an NF7-S up to 230Mhz without too much trouble and was able to stabilize it. You can probably consider 230Mhz as the limit for a (relatively) stable working. Higher frequencies don't play well with some clock multipliers on the NF7-S.

Viffer5
03-28-05, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! It is much appreciated. I have been doing some research and I think I'll get the Abit NF7-S 2.0.

I ended up on this journey when my hard disk died. I ended up replacing the drive and something else died... This has been one long drawn out $ upgrade and I now have a system that has cost me a lot of money to upgrade to an Athlon XP 3000+ where the memory will only run at 333MHz because I have 2 512MB dimms.

I started with an unlocked Athlon XP 2400+ that was running @ 2400+ MHz (sweet) until my PSU blew up (I loaded up my box BIG TIME!) and it knocked out a lot of stuff (system board, CPU, etc...) so that's how I ended up here.

Had I known that a dead HDD would have caused all this to happen, I would have just bought a 64 chip and went with a higher end system for a bit more money. Instead, I now have a not so powerful rig that cost losts of money.

I'm hoping that I can tweak the NF7-S 2.0 and run an FSB @ 230 * 10.5 (my chip is locked, I tried the speed-strip hack with no success) to hopefully end up with 2415MHz putting it in the ballpark of my old 2400+ processor but with 512K chache and much faster memory I/O.

So when I replace the system board, what should I do with the old board? I'm thinking of building a media center type of pc for my family room for watching DVD's and stuff. I have a full home theater system with a nice Denon receiver but very little room for it in my new family room at my new house.

If I do build such a PC, I'm thinking of transferring the Creative Live! 5.1 card to the Family room PC and getting an inexpensive 5.1 set of speakers. I'm thinking of getting a cheap Sempron processor for it and 512MB ram for it, nothing special. Does this sound ok? Not sure if anyone has any experience with a decent Media Center PC.

Only problem is that my fast box has the High Definition output (LeadTek 6600GT AGP) and I'd like to hook it up to the High Def TV once in a while to play Doom3 (and whatever else) in high def! Having 2 PC's in the family room on the odd occasion doesn't sound very appealing to me considering that I have a small room.

Any advice?

CaptNKILL
03-28-05, 01:35 PM
The XP-M 2500 is the OCing chip to have for nFORCE2 platforms. Low voltage = high OCing potential.
Actually the 2600 Barton Mobile became the OCing king some time last year. Where a 2500+ mobile gets 2.4 90% of the time, the 2600+ can get at least 2.5 90% of the time. My brother has his 2600+ at 2.57Ghz I think. Running on air with very modest voltages and good temps. Its quite a beast :)

That said, my 1700+ Tbred B PWNS ALL :D

Been overclocked ~600Mhz for more than 2 years, and its still going strong :) I used to run it at 2.14 but it required me to lay my case on its side (gives better Heatsink contact... standing the case up I cant get it over 2.0 stable)... this thing really is a monster overclocker, and was the best $50 I have ever spent on a computer part :)

Viffer5
04-01-05, 07:55 AM
Ok, here's an update...

I got the Abit NF7-S AND a Swiftech Water Cooling system. Right now, I have not been able to complete a single pass of 3DMark05 without it crshing to the desktop. I'm running it @ 220FSB and I've upped the voltages on everything.

Strangely, my Asus board was rock solid @ 220, only problem was that it did not support DDR at that speed so I either had to run 1 GB @ 333MHz or 512MB @ 440MHz. I seem to be stuck right now.

Any recommended bios settings to get this puppy to play nice @ 220+?

Viffer5
04-01-05, 01:16 PM
I've got my rig running for 1 day now so I haven't had the time to flash it. I'm not even sure what version the current bios is but regardless, it's the factory bios.

What benefits should I expect from a tweeked/updated bios?

CHEVYMAN_02
04-01-05, 01:29 PM
I would say the ABIT NF7

Viffer5
04-05-05, 12:23 AM
I would say the ABIT NF7

So I went out and bought htis board to replace my Asus K7V-600X and anything over 200MHz gives me memtest and prime95 errors. I have to crank up the cooling for acceptible levels and the best I could get it to run semi-stable @ is 221MHz FSB. I had the same chip in the Asus board running between 200~220 much more stable. Mind you, the Asus does not do DDR400, it drops the memory down to 333MHz, but still the system was very stable.

I know that my memory is holding me back but I have to wonder exactly how much can I OC an Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 200FSB chip? I'm thinking of getting an Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 166FSB chip withthe 13x multiplier and trying to run that @ 200MHz = 2.6GHz. I'm water cooled so I should be able to handle the heat (right now under load it runs @ 44C @ 1.65Vcore). @ 1.8v I can run it under full load @ 46C with a fan set to 2200rpm.

Any advice?

latinmike
05-07-05, 03:30 AM
[QUOTE=Viffer5]I'm sick of my Asus A7V600-X and having to downclock my system so I can use 1GB of ram! All the headaches I've run into with the Via chipset has really pissed me off. This board is horrible for overclocking and I'm looking for somehting with LOTS of overclocking potential and rock solif stability.

I want something with SATA on board, firewire would be nice but not essential, NIC, audio I don't really care about. Mostly overclocking, stability, and great chipset.

What do I buy?!? :confused:[/QUOTE

A7N8X-E Deluxe for socket A The very best
AMD 64 ASUS Socket 939 :cool: