PDA

View Full Version : Bill Roper's New Game Revealed

jAkUp
03-26-05, 04:25 PM
From the creaters of Diablo... I have not received my issue yet but here is the info:

PC Gamer describes the game as Diablo played from a first person perspective and set in a post-apocalyptic London.
Roper consders the game to be an RPG. His arguments: combat is entirely stat based, not twitch based. Hits, misses, and damage will depend on the stats of your character and their weapons; and ranged weapons cast spells (they're actually being referred to as "spell delivery systems").
The game is set five years after a war against demons has already been lost. London is depicted as a burnt out shell of itself. The demons are in the process of "hellaforming" earth to make it more suitable for their kind. A handful of humans have survived.
A third person view will probably exist, for melee fighting and whatnot. There will also be a third person "vanity mode" so you can view your character. Multiplayer will exist and support 16 to 32 players. Co-op gameplay will be emphasized, but deathmatch is a possibility. Roper says you will not be able to play as a demon.

http://img130.exs.cx/img130/512/pcgamerhellgate1hk.jpg

CaptNKILL
03-26-05, 04:46 PM
Sounds like Morrowind in the future to me. Could be very interesting, though I hate it when RPGs are totaly 100% stat based. Its usually really irritating, but I'll deffinitely keep my eyes open for this one :)

jolle
03-26-05, 06:42 PM
Wohoo, Coop!
to little of that these days..
Basicly nonexistant in RPGs (not counting MMORPGs hehe)
Arcanum had Coop, but in a special world, and you couldnt save your progress, only the character...
and playing a turnbased game in realtime was sortof tricky..

nutcrackr
03-26-05, 08:02 PM
Hmmm, the makers of Diablo also made a great little gem called Guild Wars.

Also how are they planning on doing a first person game where nothing is skill based, does it lock onto enemies by itself? Can't say I'm over the moon about it yet.

GlowStick
03-26-05, 08:22 PM
Hm, this acutally looks intresting

superklye
03-26-05, 08:38 PM
This game, from my PCGamer's article, looks ridonkulous. I can't wait to play it.

The graphics are incredible...it's an in-house engine and I would say it beats Doom 3, based on screens. It's got the high-res textures of HL2 and the demonic creatures of Doom 3 put together to destroy us all.

Vagrant Zero
03-26-05, 09:18 PM
The graphics are incredible...it's an in-house engine and I would say it beats Doom 3, based on screens. It's got the high-res textures of HL2 and the demonic creatures of Doom 3 put together to destroy us all.

Or to sum what SK said in one word...Sex.

ST:DS9
03-27-05, 03:14 AM
Its not an RPG. I really hate how RPG is being used so loosely these days. Diablo isn't even an RPG. Just because you increase stats doesn't make it an RPG.

nutcrackr
03-27-05, 03:41 AM
Its not an RPG. I really hate how RPG is being used so loosely these days. Diablo isn't even an RPG. Just because you increase stats doesn't make it an RPG.
role-playing game
n.

A game in which players assume the roles of characters and act out fantastical adventures, the outcomes of which are partially determined by chance, as by the roll of dice.

RPG is being used loosely because it's such a loose definition :p

superklye
03-27-05, 08:41 AM
Or to sum what SK said in one word...Sex.
good call.