PDA

View Full Version : HaloPC...rough crowd?

brady
03-26-05, 06:29 PM
i recently decided to try halo out so i picked it up at best buy for 20 bucks. besides the obviosly dated graphics i enjoyed the single player game quite well.

multiplayer has been a different story. i have to admit its very addicting and fun but i found the crowd to be extremely rude and very hostile toward beginners. im comparing this to cs which ive been playing for several years now. cs is imo a more difficult game, but i think all in all the crowd acts pretty decent.

i dont think ive ever seen the word "noob" used so much as i have in the last couple of days of halo online.

anyways, does anyone else agree? disagree?...

MustangSVT
03-26-05, 06:56 PM
Yea Halo PC's community/crowd is pretty "rough". I also play it often online. I got it free when I won this shopping spree like 6 months ago. I also think it's a lot of fun online. I also play Halo 2 occasionaly on Kai since I don't have Live, but there's a bunch of hackers on there so it's not that great.

Mehbody
03-26-05, 07:11 PM
Most are the people are rough on halo, me included, to newbies because they play differently a bit.. and it's quite a slowdown on team games. They don't pull their weight for the team, and the team loses, with them or a group of newbies as a outlier. Ruins the experience. Seriously.

Otherwise, it's because they think newbs don't know how to handle weapons properly (I admit, just a few days ago I noticed the rocket launcher zooms, so even I have this problem) or some other reasons (personal issues? panties in a bunch? showing their hate? The world will never know..)

The xbox crowd is really nice, on 2 at least. CS community is very nice on most of the servers like you said.

PSYCHODAD
03-26-05, 07:12 PM
ya, i've ran into several of those also. they usually dont have much to say after i own them a few times.

Riptide
03-26-05, 07:15 PM
CS community nice? What game are you guys playing?? My experience is so black/white different than that I'm just flabbergasted you could even think that.

Example: just yesterday I was on a source de_dust server. I was the last CT alive and was covering the bridge and the hallway. A T slipped into the tunnel while I was focused on the area under the bridge, saw me first, and killed me. One of my "team mates" immediately renamed himself "RiptideSUCKS" for the whole game and kept on giving me crap the entire time.

I have never, ever, had that happen on ANY other game than CS:S. CS is quite often a constant stream of talk about smoking dope, "nig*ers", "noobs", etc..

I haven't played Halo online for about a year now so maybe it got real bad. But it didn't even come close to CS:S as far as the amount of punks go when I played it. Same for UT2004.

jolle
03-26-05, 07:26 PM
Rip that doesnt happen on a CS server with good admin presence..
Find one with HARSH rules that are enforced to the letter.
I did, the down side is that me and most of my friends have all gotten temp banned for a few days atleast once on minor slipups like mild profanity, things your used to say that noone ever takes offence to, but are against the servers rules..
Plus side is that all jerks gets banned real quick.
People that wont attempt defuse when there is plenty of time, or camp on maps where your on the assaulting team, people who ruin the gameplay, hack, exploit map bugs, insult or harass others, TKs on purpouse, swears etc..
They all go real fast, and never come back unless they shape up, but they usually find it easier to find another server it seems hehe.

Result is a great server with alot of "regulars" that you come to know, moron free..

PSYCHODAD
03-26-05, 07:31 PM
Jolle I agree, the server I play cs.s on has great admin and it makes all the difference.

Riptide
03-26-05, 07:32 PM
Well sure but the same would go for Halo as well. Servers w/good admin presence and enforced rules aren't going to be chaotic. But the majority of CS:S servers are pure chaos in my experience. Even [H]ardOCP's servers can get ugly sometimes.

MustangSVT
03-26-05, 07:52 PM
The community in CS:S is worse than that in Halo.. in fact it's probably the worst community out there. You get called a nig*** or a "jew" or whatever other racism/swearing/noobs etc. If you don't know the map by heart you get called a nub/loser/retard/etc, if you do know the map, you get called a hacker/cheater/haxor etc. And then you have people who teamkill a lot and the people who scream in the mic..

Nutty
03-26-05, 08:33 PM
It all depends which servers you play on. The ones I play on all have pretty decent ppl on. The odd idiot turns up calling ppl names, and gets told to bog off pretty much.

nutcrackr
03-26-05, 08:56 PM
Bah I'm used to a rough community so I don't notice it much in either cs or Halo. But yes I think Halo's community can be a bit rough at times. Of course it depends on where you live, what servers you visit, and what time you play. But that's a statement of the obvious ;)

stncttr908
03-26-05, 09:37 PM
CS community nice? What game are you guys playing?? My experience is so black/white different than that I'm just flabbergasted you could even think that.

Example: just yesterday I was on a source de_dust server. I was the last CT alive and was covering the bridge and the hallway. A T slipped into the tunnel while I was focused on the area under the bridge, saw me first, and killed me. One of my "team mates" immediately renamed himself "RiptideSUCKS" for the whole game and kept on giving me crap the entire time.

I have never, ever, had that happen on ANY other game than CS:S. CS is quite often a constant stream of talk about smoking dope, "nig*ers", "noobs", etc..

I haven't played Halo online for about a year now so maybe it got real bad. But it didn't even come close to CS:S as far as the amount of punks go when I played it. Same for UT2004.
I hear you. I haven't played Halo PC myself, but comparing it as rough to the CS crowd makes me tremble in fear. :wtf:

Gentle
03-26-05, 10:09 PM
There are good servers and there are bad servers.

And then there are servers you thought were good but were really bad.

I had found a good server with a good community behind it. It was a clean server, profanity free, and filled with good, mature people. People that you want to game with.

I played there daily for over 7 months. I participated in their forums. I knew most of their "management". I got to know the people that ran the server and were the force behind the community. Then, one day, on a strange map (dm_hellway, or was it de_hellway) their HLGuard acted up and kick/banned 3 people for "aimbot use" in about 2 minutes. I was one of these players.

According to the management of the server, HLGuard was "perfect" and had no flaws. But after having conversations with the makers of HLGuard and also the maker of the mod-plugin they run there (Warcraft3) it was determined that there could be compatibility issues with the two. False detections could happen. This was not enough for the server management and regardless decided that I was a bad influence on their server. I remain banned from their server to this day.

I'm 35 years old. I've been gaming since 1983.

Being treated poorly by this group was a sad, sad experience.

Gentle

Mehbody
03-26-05, 10:18 PM
Odd, i must use the "good" CS server then. The one I frequent usually has a nice crowd of people that play it thinking that it's just a game :P I bet a lot of people have switched to CS:S though, i still play good ol' CS.

Gentle, i've felt that blow before, although after having a good chat the next day and getting looked into I was considered clean and was unbanned. Guess there's just way too many server types out there.

brady
03-26-05, 10:58 PM
yeah, i guess i just picked some pretty good cs servers cuz ive never run into much chaos and "hate" talk.

on the other hand, i think i must be playing on some seriously crappy halo servers. guess i'll search around a little more.

Marcos
03-27-05, 07:50 AM
no one is worse than the warcraft 3 custom game players

ralinn
03-27-05, 08:23 AM
CS:S is surrounded by fools :[

The decent people stuck to CS 1.6 because CS:S is surrounded by kids. But yeah, it does depend on the server you join but sometimes finding a good server with a mature (not in age :P) admin can be pretty hard.

PaiN
03-27-05, 09:17 AM
....yes, all the reasons why the one & only on-line or MMO game I play is WoW :p

jolle
03-27-05, 09:59 AM
This prolly goes for all online gaming..
And it stands to reason, looking at the population of the earth, or atleast the wealthier parts where people spend their time on Online gaming, perhaps 80% of the people are jerks, morons or idiots to some extent..
So your bound to run into a few where ever you go, whatever game you decide to play..
The larger the playerbase the more of them you get...

You get em out in the real world aswell, but people are generally more talkative and also faster to insult others when there is no imidate risk of physical harm to come to their person..

superklye
03-27-05, 10:26 AM
no one is worse than the warcraft 3 custom game players
Those are my favorite kids to harass, even to this day. Four of my buddies and I join up and as soon as they start talking ****, we destroy them. They usually leave in a huff before we actually beat them, though. :D

Marcos
03-28-05, 06:02 PM
Those are my favorite kids to harass, even to this day. Four of my buddies and I join up and as soon as they start talking ****, we destroy them. They usually leave in a huff before we actually beat them, though. :D

oh do you play footman frenzy?