PDA

View Full Version : Generic or Corsair....

Sk8erian
03-26-05, 09:48 PM
I know by the topic it seems like "wtf is he thinking?"

Right now in my rig I have 2 gigs (x4 512mb sticks) of generic DDR400 with latencies of 3-3-3-8.

I have the opportunity of getting 1 gig of Corsair PC3200LLPRO ram with latencies of 2-3-2-5 (it's the XMS memory with the little LEDS...not the one with the messages that pop up on top.) for only $40.

Here is my question...

Should I stay with the generic ram because it is 2 gigs but slower...or get the faster Corsair ram that is only 1 gig in total.

I know this seems obvious...get the $40 Corsair...but I'm wondering, is the lower latency worth losing the 1 gig..or should I forgo the lower latencies for the extra 1 gig of ram?

Thanks for your help in advance!

jAkUp
03-26-05, 10:01 PM
Over 1gb of ram is overkill for most games. Go with the lower latency corsair.

SLippe
03-26-05, 10:31 PM
1gb of Corsair.

-=DVS=-
03-26-05, 10:36 PM
Id keep 2 gigs :p , if you playing games who hog ram like Everquest 2 the more the better :D , in games ram Latency from CAS 3 to 2 is few frames anyways.
And there is no overkill in computer hardware :cool:

Sk8erian
03-26-05, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Corsair because of it's super low price I can get it for...and also because when I've checked how much resources are being used up while playing games and having just the programs run that are always running in the background...only about 25% of the memory is being used...so I really don't think I need that extra 1 gig.

Plus...the blinking LED's are just plain cool :cool:

SLippe
03-26-05, 11:05 PM
May I ask where you are getting it for that price? And I assume it's 2x512mb?

Starscream
03-27-05, 12:33 AM
Without question I'd stick with the 2 gigs of generic.

When you get into the latency of ram that fast you're talking about percentages of speed difference, and the way I use my pc the more ram the better in all situations.

technews
03-27-05, 06:36 AM
how much is the max bandwidth you can get with those generic 2GBs ?

I have Corsair 1GB XLPRO and I get about 7GBs/sec

if the 2GBs you've got give more much more than that.. stay with the 2GB

but most apps you use and I guess games will be more happy with the faster memory (and it is still 1GB!).

2GBs are usefull in video and image editing. Do you do that?

Daneel Olivaw
03-27-05, 07:16 AM
how much is the max bandwidth you can get with those generic 2GBs ?

I have Corsair 1GB XLPRO and I get about 7GBs/sec

if the 2GBs you've got give more much more than that.. stay with the 2GB

but most apps you use and I guess games will be more happy with the faster memory (and it is still 1GB!).

2GBs are usefull in video and image editing. Do you do that?
How in the world do you think having more ram makes for more bandwidth? There's no way he's getting over 7GB/s.

I'd say get the Corsair, but leave the 2GB in your system. (though the Corsair might allow you to overclock if you'd like that). Find some other use for the Corsair.

jAkUp
03-27-05, 11:15 AM
Yea more ram doesn't equal more bandwith. For gaming go with the lower latency. Unless you play EQ2 or SWG, at this point over 1gb, I wouldn't recommend sacrificing memory timings for more memory.

superklye
03-27-05, 11:33 AM
Yea more ram doesn't equal more bandwith. For gaming go with the lower latency. Unless you play EQ2 or SWG, at this point over 1gb, I wouldn't recommend sacrificing memory timings for more memory.
I thought it was shown that lower latencies had almost no impact on gaming whatsoever...for A64 machines at least.

They only made a difference in benchmarking programs which aren't really indicative of real-life performance.

Sk8erian
03-27-05, 06:12 PM
Since I don't do any video editing or rendering or any of that stuff...only gaming (plus everyday Windows operations)...the extra gig of ram isn't really worth it in my opinion.

I do play WoW...but that doesn't seem to take up a huge amount of resources on my ram.

Starscream
03-27-05, 07:22 PM
Since I don't do any video editing or rendering or any of that stuff...only gaming (plus everyday Windows operations)...the extra gig of ram isn't really worth it in my opinion.

I do play WoW...but that doesn't seem to take up a huge amount of resources on my ram.

Isn't really worth what??? You're PAYING to get less ram, that's just silly. The latency makes jack diddly difference in the real world.

Nutty
03-27-05, 07:39 PM
I'd get the RAM and sell it on to make a profit :)

saturnotaku
03-27-05, 08:13 PM

Are you able to run dual channel on your board with all 4 DIMM sockets filled? I want to move up to 2 GB and it would be cheaper overall if I could go with 4x512 as opposed to 2x1024.

Sk8erian
03-27-05, 10:02 PM
Yes, I can run dual channel on x4 512mb sticks.

Another reason why I want to go with the Corsair is because I can easily upgrade it to 2 gigs.

Another thing is that I can easily upgrade to 2 gigs if I can find another good deal for the Corsair memory. I have read in a lot of places that running memory with different latencies doesn't perform well. I can't mix and match the generic with the Corsair then.

Since I won't really be needing another gig of ram for quite a while since games don't utilize it all...I can wait until prices go down on the ram and when games take up more memory and get another gig then. Basically making my system more future proof.

Rytr
03-27-05, 10:36 PM
I have been able to mix-match pairs when using all four dimms on boards that have that option. Just had to keep like pairs together on the same channel. Of course, timings defaulted to the lesser capable pair.

Blacklash
03-27-05, 10:41 PM
For that price, I'd get the low latency 1gb corsair. If decide you still want 2 after testing you are still ahead owning that 1gb for dirt cheap. You can probably find another decent price/deal for more XMS in due time somewhere.

Lauwenmark78
03-28-05, 01:08 AM
I know by the topic it seems like "wtf is he thinking?"

Right now in my rig I have 2 gigs (x4 512mb sticks) of generic DDR400 with latencies of 3-3-3-8.

I have the opportunity of getting 1 gig of Corsair PC3200LLPRO ram with latencies of 2-3-2-5 (it's the XMS memory with the little LEDS...not the one with the messages that pop up on top.) for only $40.

Here is my question...

Should I stay with the generic ram because it is 2 gigs but slower...or get the faster Corsair ram that is only 1 gig in total.

I know this seems obvious...get the $40 Corsair...but I'm wondering, is the lower latency worth losing the 1 gig..or should I forgo the lower latencies for the extra 1 gig of ram?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Unless you think your system is too slow, you'd probably better keep 2GB and make a better use of your money. Switching to the Corsair will mean that you'll loose the flexibility a huge amount of Ram can offer you with the only benefit of gaining at most a few frames in games (and given your signature, I hardly think this is an issue for you). Questions like security or disk access times can be improved with the use of more Ram - can a lower latency achieve the same result ?

Of course, I understand that a "Corsair with leds" definitely sounds more sexy than those boring, "slow" Ram modules. Flexibility or "sex-appeal" ? Your choice, really.

Gator
03-28-05, 09:53 AM
Depends... if the 2gigs of generic works okay, then for myself I'd just leave it alone. But if you are having problems with your current memory, or you want more tweak-friendly memory, or perhaps interested in some overclocking... then go for the Corsair. That's a hell of a good deal for that model of Corsair memory. In fact here is an idea: spend the 40 dollars for the 1gig, then sell your 2gig generic and use the money towards another 1gig of the same fancy Corsair; thereby keeping your 2gigs ;)

But if it were me and the generic 2gigs worked ok, I wouldn't care. But then again I'm the guy using 1gig of Cas3 just because I like Crucial brand :D