PDA

View Full Version : DVD games.

ST:DS9
03-27-05, 06:41 AM
Finally more and more games are coming out on to DVD here in the US. The las 3 games I have bought were DVDs. Its about time US publishers catch up with the times. Why did it take them so long to start using DVD?

superklye
03-27-05, 09:40 AM
Because they're afraid to require people to buy a $20 piece of hardware, yet have no problem requiring $500+ hardware for it to look the best. :rolleyes2

LiquidX
03-27-05, 09:47 AM
It took along time for me to get a DVD drive because I saw no need for one but with all the fuss that new Nec got a few months ago and it being so cheap I had to get one so now its all good.:D My last two games were on DVD and I just pre-orderd BF2 the DVD version. What gets me though is that some publishers are only offering DVD versions of games with special editions or for $10 more and its catching on.

Greg
03-27-05, 10:55 AM
I didn't own a DVD drive until a few months ago either. What was I going to put in it? DVD games that didn't exist ;) Obviously the production costs of making two different versions (CD & DVD) were not acceptable, and the CD drive was the lowest common denominator. Since DVD supercedes CD and it is hard not to buy a DVD drive, it was only a matter of time. How many CD drives last beyond 3 years anyway?

Edit: What I'd like to see also, is standardized game boxes using the DVD jewel case, not a large covered cardboard box with 90% empty space and a paper sleeved disk in there.

03-27-05, 11:09 AM
I guess we had to wait for companies like Dell to make DVD drives a standard on their computers.

jAkUp
03-27-05, 12:03 PM
Its all your guy's fault for not buying DVD drives! ;)

In this industry you need to force an upgrade or most people won't buy a bother. Thats why some games still don't support PS 2.0 :(

OWA
03-27-05, 01:14 PM
Yeah, it's great they're finally coming around. Some of the gaming mags have started using DVDs also (or at least I was given a choice the last few times so I hope it continues).

Edge
03-27-05, 02:09 PM
In this industry you need to force an upgrade or most people won't buy a bother. Thats why some games still don't support PS 2.0 :(
Many games don't even support bump mapping, let alone pixel shaders.

Mudcrutch
03-27-05, 02:28 PM
i didn't put a DVD drive when building current rig because i simply have no use for it.

i suppose when games that i want come out on DVD only i will obviously install one.

until then my 3 free 5 1/2 in. bays will sit there. :)

03-27-05, 03:09 PM
i didn't put a DVD drive when building current rig because i simply have no use for it.

i suppose when games that i want come out on DVD only i will obviously install one.

until then my 3 free 5 1/2 in. bays will sit there. :)

See that was the problem. People won't buy a DVD drive because there were no games that used the DVD drive. The Publishers won't publish games onto DVD because very little people own a DVD drive. Its a Catch 22. Having 3 or more discs is ridicolous, and we needed DVD games for a long while now, but nobody was buying them. So as gamers sometimes we need to buy something that is not needed right away just so that we can push technology. If more gamers bought DVD drives along time ago, we would already be at the point where all games on DVDs, like how Europe is. It is very rare to find games on CDs in Europe, and the US is behind.

SO buy a $20 DVD drive just so we can push technology and get rid of these 2+discs for games.

superklye
03-27-05, 03:21 PM
SO buy a $20 DVD drive just so we can push technology and get rid of these 2+discs for games.
QFT

Mudcrutch
03-27-05, 03:52 PM
See that was the problem. People won't buy a DVD drive because there were no games that used the DVD drive. The Publishers won't publish games onto DVD because very little people own a DVD drive. Its a Catch 22. Having 3 or more discs is ridicolous, and we needed DVD games for a long while now, but nobody was buying them. So as gamers sometimes we need to buy something that is not needed right away just so that we can push technology. If more gamers bought DVD drives along time ago, we would already be at the point where all games on DVDs, like how Europe is. It is very rare to find games on CDs in Europe, and the US is behind.

well HL2 + mods didnt require ANY discs for me. why even have a cd or dvd drive at ALL then?

why dont we ALL get broadband so we dont have to deal with discs at ALL?

hmmm..

/devils advocate

03-27-05, 04:09 PM
well HL2 + mods didnt require ANY discs for me. why even have a cd or dvd drive at ALL then?

why dont we ALL get broadband so we dont have to deal with discs at ALL?

hmmm..

/devils advocate

Well because DSL development is going to slow for most of the counrty. I can't even get DSL where I live, and I live in a city of about 50,000 people. Cable is development is going a little faster and I can get that, but that is $55 a month, and there are alot of people who can't afford or want to pay that much. DSL is 21.00 per month with ISP, and that is a much better range that most people could deal with, seeing how people pay $25 for AOL.
So for right now, it is the phone companies who are holding back that option. I'm sure when there is a huge majority of the gamers have broadband, that we'll see more and more games be available through download.

MustangSVT
03-27-05, 04:14 PM
I've had a 16x DVD drive since like back in early 2002 or something like that. Useful for watching my music dvd's on the fly.

Mr. Hunt
03-27-05, 04:27 PM
I agree... I am getting tired of seeing complaints that Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is going to be DVD only... I am so freaking happy that it is on DVD and I really hope more people start pushing DVD games more... getting tired of 5+ CD games :\.

saturnotaku
03-27-05, 07:19 PM
I've had DVD-ROM drives in computers since 1998. I'm glad releasing games on DVD is finally catching on. I hate having to swap out 5 CDs to install a game.

superklye
03-27-05, 08:59 PM
I've had DVD-ROM drives in computers since 1998. I'm glad releasing games on DVD is finally catching on. I hate having to swap out 5 CDs to install a game.
What really chaps my ass is when a huge game like this requires you put the first disc back in after the 5th is done, just to verify.

Give me a break!

saturnotaku
03-27-05, 10:13 PM
I was extremely happy when Epic decided to re-release UT2004 onto DVD after they sold out of the limited collector's edition pre-order sets. I imported Far Cry on DVD from the UK (ended up costing like $5 more than the CD version even after shipping). And for a lot of multi-CD games like Riddick, I take images of the discs using Alcohol or CloneCD and burn them to a single DVD. I put the disc in and mount the images using Daemon Tools.

superklye
03-27-05, 10:34 PM
I was extremely happy when Epic decided to re-release UT2004 onto DVD after they sold out of the limited collector's edition pre-order sets. I imported Far Cry on DVD from the UK (ended up costing like $5 more than the CD version even after shipping). And for a lot of multi-CD games like Riddick, I take images of the discs using Alcohol or CloneCD and burn them to a single DVD. I put the disc in and mount the images using Daemon Tools.
Yeah, I love the UT2k4 DVD edition...it's the whole reason I bought the game. One of my friends downloaded it and gave it to me to install to play on the LAN, but when I saw 6 CDs (I'm pretty sure it was 6...it was at least 5), I said: "hell no."

Then a week or two after, the DVD version came out and I dropped $40 on it. It was definitely worth it.

And can you explain this "making an image of the discs and burning them to DVD" thing you do? I don't exactly follow you...you make images and burn all the images to a single DVD? How? And where does the image mounting come into play?

saturnotaku
03-27-05, 10:54 PM
Riddick, for example, is on 5 CDs. I will take each of the CDs and use a program such as CloneCD or Alcohol 120% to make an image of the disc. What programs I use depends on the copy protection employed by the play disc. The Lite-On DVD-ROM I have is about the best for circumventing even the strongest protestions like SecuROM 4 (Riddick) and Safedisc 3.2 (NFS:U2).

Once the images are created, I use Nero to burn all the files for each disc onto a single DVD-R so I'm not wasting hard drive space, especially for discs that are simply used for installing the game. Daemon Tools acts like a virtual CD-ROM drive that can a variety of image formats (.mds, .ccd, .iso to name a few). It acts like the actual disc is inserted into a normal CD/DVD-ROM drive. When the installer needs to switch discs, it's simply a matter of manipulating the Daemon Tools tray icon.

If possible, I'll keep the play disc images on my hard drive so I can mount them in DT and play from there without having to put the original disc in the drive. This works most of the time, except for Riddick. In that case, I had to actually burn a copy of the first CD, which worked for whatever reason.

If you want more information about emulation, burning programs, hardware, etc, go to the CD Freaks forums - http://club.cdfreaks.com. I've spent hours there reasearching the various techniques to create successful game backups, including having the right hardware and software. There hasn't been a single game (CD-ROM-based anyway, DVDs are pretty much impossible to successfully backup at this point) I've not been able to create a backup of that doesn't work in either my Lite-On or LG drive.

superklye
03-27-05, 10:58 PM
Awesome! Thanks Sat!