PDA

View Full Version : ASUS cards and NV5 Silencer incompatibility?

Vishruth
03-27-05, 11:21 AM
The fan on my Asus v9999 UD (6800 ultra) was too loud, so I got an Arctic-Cooling NV5 Silencer from sidewindercomputers.com. I put the NV5 on my card, but the card is running very, very, VERY hot now!

When idling, the card shoots above 90C! I didn't even bother to check how it runs on load. The copper base is making excellent contact with the GPU and all the RAM, so that's not the problem.

I'm going to order some ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier and see if using that helps. It will take at least a month to get that. It really sucks not to be able to use my card till then.

I wonder if the high temperatures are being cause by this (quote from arctic-cooling.com):

We use ATIs respectively NVIDIAs standard power plugs. Asus is unfortunately not following ATIs/NVIDIAs solutions and therefore our plug doesn't fit. You can either cut both plugs and connect the wires correspondingly or you can also get 12 Volt power directly from the PSU. There you have to connect the wires as follows: black with black and red (VGA) with yellow (PSU). The yellow cable from the VGA is an RPM signal, that is not needed.
( http://arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40&data=7&disc= )

I saw this in Clay's review of the NV5 silencer rev.1. But it didn't go into the details of this issue.

superklye
03-27-05, 11:31 AM
Make sure it's not just the temp. bug that has been in pretty much every driver release as of late. There are instructions on how to remedy the bug in the ForceWare forum.

Vishruth
03-27-05, 11:37 AM
Make sure it's not just the temp. bug that has been in pretty much every driver release as of late. There are instructions on how to remedy the bug in the ForceWare forum.

I am sure that's not the problem because before I installed the NV5 on my card, it used to run at around 60C when idling and would hit 80-89C only on full load. Thanks for the quick reply though. :)

superklye
03-27-05, 12:08 PM
Sure thing...I don't know what to tell you. ASUS is not the company you want to be ordering from these days it sounds like...this issue as well as their dumbfounding choices for memory on their cards. 800MHz DDR1 on an Ultra Extreme? WTF?

Vishruth
03-27-05, 10:46 PM
Sure thing...I don't know what to tell you. ASUS is not the company you want to be ordering from these days it sounds like...this issue as well as their dumbfounding choices for memory on their cards. 800MHz DDR1 on an Ultra Extreme? WTF?

800MHz DDR1? Really? H'm...

Check this link: linky linky! (http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=475&l1=2&l2=6&l3=138)

According to the information over there, the Ultra Extreme has a GDDR3 RAM and is clocked at 1100MHz. Perhaps you are talking about an entirely different card altogether.

Anyway, about my situation, I removed the NV5 silencer and put the old stock cooler back on, only this time it has... AS5! Yay! *ahem* It does run a little cooler than before already (AS5 is supposed to take 200 hours to get settled in), but the noise still remains. Oh well. Does anyone else here have an NV5 installed on an ASUS card? Please help.

superklye
03-27-05, 11:13 PM
800MHz DDR1? Really? H'm...

Check this link: linky linky! (http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=475&l1=2&l2=6&l3=138)

According to the information over there, the Ultra Extreme has a GDDR3 RAM and is clocked at 1100MHz. Perhaps you are talking about an entirely different card altogether.
The one being sold at Monarch Computers was 800MHz DDR1 and some other people confirmed very odd choices that ASUS had been making with their 6800 line of cards.

Vishruth
04-10-05, 10:16 AM
I have a question...

The power connector of the NV5 silencer I have fits into the fan slot (don't know what else to call it) of my ASUS v9999 UD and is able to power the fan of the NV5 silencer.

This means that no modification to the NV5 silencer's power connector is necessary, right?

I mean, if the power connector of the NV5 was incompatible with the card, then the fan on the NV5 shouldn't work at all. And if it works (at all), no modification should be required. Isn't that so?

thanosAIAS
04-11-05, 12:04 PM
ASUS 6800 Ultra has a core at 425MHz instead of the 400MHz the reference desighn has.

Thus it requires better cooling than other ultra cards with dual slot cooling solutions, hence the loud fan on a single slot solution! (It has to be very effective).

You can't just replace the ASUS fan with any other fan.

At least that's what i think :)

Vishruth
04-11-05, 08:01 PM
Really? That's very bad news for me. What does everybody else think about what thanosAIAS says?

Hasn't anybody else here installed an NV5 on an ASUS 6800* card?

rohit
04-12-05, 06:25 AM
ASUS uses a different temp sensor than the one that nv uses. The temp sensor which asus uses is of winbond. so there will be issues with fans/coolers which are not asus built. its built in such a way.

There have been similar issues in the past.

Geebs
04-12-05, 10:52 AM
I have 2 Asus EN6800 Ultras, and 2 Nv Silencer 5 coolers... the gas thing is that Arctic Cooling lists the ONLY incompatibility as being the fan connectors... that's funny, as they fit fine on my 1 card...

I can only run 1 of the NV Silencer 5's because 2 of them won't fit in an SLi setup. The fan from the top card hits the PCB on the bottom card. Hell, it hangs OVER the 2nd PCI-E slot...

I have sent 3 emails to Arctic Cooling about this issue, as well as leaving a voice mail message in Hong Kong, and have not had a single reply... Hows that for customer support????

How can a company say that a product is compatible with 6800 Ultra cards, but then not take into consideration that A LOT of 6800 cards are SLI capable?

I love the performance of Arctic Cooling's products, and I have used them on all my graphics cards for the last 2 years, but at this point, I would have to say stay away from them, as they don't seem to want to know you if you have a problem...

So as it sits now, I have the Nv Silencer on the lower card, and the stock Asus cooler on the top card, which is running 7-10 degrees hotter than the lower card...

Salamandar
04-12-05, 04:09 PM
the power plug for the fan on both the Asus and Gigabyte 6800 based cards are not standard, yet I was able to mod the Nv 5 to work on my gigabyte card.