PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Dust: one of the most unique games out there

Edge
03-28-05, 02:13 AM
For those who don't know, a game for Xbox called Phantom Dust was released a few weeks ago for a budget price of $20 (and no, there are no plans to port the game to PC). I had been keeping an eye on this game for a while, but it was very difficult trying to figure out what the gameplay was like without actually playing it. Well, I've put about a week into the game, and I must say, it's well, well worth the $20 and is one of the most unique games I've played in a LONG time.

The basic premise is that it's a "collectable card game" (think Magic the Gathering) mixed with action. Now first off, let me tell you have have NO interest in card games. I always found the concept boring, I've all but ignored any game that has anything to do with collecting cards. But for some reason, I really got hooked on this game. You have an "arsenal" which pretty much serves as your deck, and as the battle progresses you draw actions from it. The battles play out similar to super-power oriented stories like X or Marvel comics. You can fly around, shoot fireballs, rain lightening from the sky, and execute pretty much any other superhuman feat that you can think of. It's an interesting concept, and it's executed surprisingly well. Single-player is alright, I don't like the way they have the mission/town system set up, but it takes a solid 15-20 hours and has an interesting anime-like storyline. But multiplayer is really where this game shines, I've put a few hours into the Live play so far and I can already tell this is going to be one I'm going to keep coming back to.

So anyway, if you're looking for a game that's a bit different and doesn't hurt the wallet, pick up Phantom Dust. It's not a game for everyone, but you may end up liking it even if you think it sounds a bit strange. It may take a bit of hunting to find it though, apperently a lot of the large retailers like Best Buy don't even carry it, so you may have to get it from Gamestop/EB or order it online. Oh, and if you want more info on the game you can check out www.xboxphreaker.com, and gametrailers.com has some nice videos of it (the English trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/download.php?id=4776&type=mov&f=) looks especially nice).