PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthreading/Hypertransport

Strahd
03-28-05, 02:23 PM
Ok, I have been an Intel user for as long as I have been in computers. This rig I have now is my first AMD rig that I have built and used. In my old pentium rig, I had hyperthreading enabled and my task manager always showed 2 processors (1 physical and 1 virtual).

With my AMD rig, I only see one processor in task manager and there is only one processor listed in device manager. Basically I thought AMD's answer to hyperthreading was hypertransport and that I will still have 2 CPU's but I do not. I have looked in my BIOS for a hypertransport option but I couldn't find one. Can someone explain this to me?

saturnotaku
03-28-05, 02:25 PM
With my AMD rig, I only see one processor in task manager and there is only one processor listed in device manager. Basically I thought AMD's answer to hyperthreading was hypertransport and that I will still have 2 CPU's but I do not. I have looked in my BIOS for a hypertransport option but I couldn't find one. Can someone explain this to me?

AMD's hypertransport relates to how the on-die memory controller interfaces with the motherboard and the rest of your system. It's not even remotely related to Intel's hyperthreading.

(google) is your friend on these subject matters.

Gator
03-28-05, 02:27 PM
You were mistaken, they have nothing in common, they simply have similar names.

Intel = Hyperthreading = emulated 2 CPU's

AMD = Hypertransport = a super fast type of bus used by the processor

Strahd
03-28-05, 02:33 PM
Thanks, I'm an AMD noobie and wasn't sure how that worked.

Daneel Olivaw
03-28-05, 08:19 PM
I have actually seen Compusmart here advertise P4 notebooks using "the latest Hypertransport technology". And have seen Athlon notebooks advertised as HT (which is just confusing for some, but not misleading).

Companies are freakin dumb. It's not the noobies fault.

Marcos
03-30-05, 01:58 PM
I alwasy thought AMD did it to confuse people.

"oh look this AMD has ~~***HT****~~ it must be like that mainsteam Pentium"

They could have called it "Hyper Bus" or some ****.

zoomy942
03-30-05, 02:33 PM
i wish we could slap every marketing group that comes up with ways to trick the consumer. not only does it mislead them, but then they start to have this feelnig that the "industry buzz" is the accurate information.

does anyone have any idea how hard it is to discuss pc technology with someone who is totally convinced the the "buzz" is the truth? wow.

Strahd
03-30-05, 02:50 PM
I could have googled this I suppose but didn't think about it until after I had posted this thread. I did after and I know the difference now. I have to say that even though this is my first AMD rig, I am very happy with it regardless of the fact that it doesn't have a virtual second CPU. It is faster then my old P4 3.0g machine and it was worth every penny that I spent to build it.

So even though I am a noob when it comes to the AMD, it won't last long :D

Thanks for explanation!

jolle
03-30-05, 02:51 PM
I alwasy thought AMD did it to confuse people.

"oh look this AMD has ~~***HT****~~ it must be like that mainsteam Pentium"

They could have called it "Hyper Bus" or some ****.

Dont think AMD themselves created the Hypertransport bus.
They were part of the group that developed it tho.
http://www.hypertransport.org/

other members are Apple, Broadcom, Cisco systems, Nvidia, ATi, PMC, Sun, transmeta, ALi, Cray, IBM, Iwill, Texas instruments, SIS, VIA..
Seemingly everyone except Intel.. hehe