PDA

View Full Version : overclocking the eVga 6800 GT

psychogmv
03-28-05, 03:10 PM
Well, finally my eVga 6800GT arrived to replace my dead XFX 6800GT (I messed with it so much, that it died). But now, after this big loss Im afraid of also ruining with this new card. I will not remove the heatsink or do any physical changes on the card at any circunstances. I wont do BIOS mods, only flash new ones in case of problems and if recommended by the manufacturer! But Ill overclock!!! :D
Yeah, I know it also voids my warranty, but if the card dies on me, I can still RMA it. But I dont want to push it to unsafe limits. So whats a good level of overclocking for this card with stock cooling? Im planning to do 400/1100 (Ultra levels), but is this hardcore for this card? What are some safe temperatures limits to work? Does anyone had this card damaged after using it at this levels for a long time?

Thanks

wEEt
03-28-05, 03:13 PM
Oh man...Damn it...Nobody can tell you how far you can overclock your card. It's different from card to card. Just try it. Try Coolbits and let it detect the best clock rates.

saturnotaku
03-28-05, 03:20 PM
Oh man...Damn it...Nobody can tell you how far you can overclock your card. It's different from card to card. Just try it. Try Coolbits and let it detect the best clock rates.

:thumbsup:

http://members.cox.net/saturnotaku/nvnews/6800OC.jpg

psychogmv
03-28-05, 03:21 PM
I know they are different. I just want to know what are some safe temperatures and some failure cases. But thanks for your fast response...

Edit: okokok... forget about this thread...

XP_GUN
03-28-05, 03:27 PM
Dangit saturnotaku beat me to it. :rolleyes:

wEEt
03-29-05, 01:49 AM
:jumping: :lol2: owned:

H-street
03-29-05, 02:52 AM
just so you are aware...

the HSF combo on the evga6800GT is probably the lowest quality there is..
to quote myself from another thread..

i have the exact same 2 cards (evga 6800GT) and before i put the new heatsink/fan on those where the temps i would run... sometimes i would even hit 90C on GPU1..

the evga stock cooling is pretty bad though..

if you want to drop it a few degrees you can redo the thermal paste..

the aluminium Heatsink on the GPU is probably the lowest quality i have seen to date.. it is deeply grooved and provides very poor contact to the GPU..

redoing the thermal paste will help make better contact..

but i recommended getting a pair of the VF700Cu's.. i put 2 of those on my evga's and my temps are now

GPU1 - 54C > 66C
GPU2 - 51C > 62C

or if you are worried about keeping your warranty evga does offer a copper heatsink for 15$.. i don't know the quality of hte copper one but it has to be better than that Al one they put on stock..

the other poor design i never liked about hte stock evga Heatsink (it may be the same on ther others) is the heatpump is actually pumping the heat into the airflow for a case.. meaning you aren't going got get nearly as good a flow from that heat pump if it was going the other way..

psychogmv
03-29-05, 06:24 AM
Thanks H-street. Very good info.

zoomy942
03-29-05, 07:04 AM
i have an evga 6800gt, and i flashed it with modified bios that is at 405/1100. she works ike a champ. i have a zalman v700 cooler as well.

rohit
03-29-05, 10:28 AM
:thumbsup:

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA
LOL
LMAO!

Marcos
03-29-05, 10:31 AM
zalman vf700cu in stock at newegg nowwwww