PDA

View Full Version : What .. im lost....

$n][pErMan
03-28-05, 03:46 PM
OK .. so I have had my OC of 2.53ghz on my XP2800 for some time now at 1.725Vore and its not prime95 stable .. kick out after like an hour.. but I can leave my computer on 24/7 and play all my games with 0 issues. Now... my friend was trying to tell me I should up my Vcore untill it is prime95 stable because he said he read somewhere that in the long term its better to add the voltage and be stable because being unstable can do more long term damage. Can anyone clear this up for me?? :(

jAkUp
03-28-05, 03:49 PM
How much higher do you have to up the vcore until its stable? A few more ticks won't hurt as long as your temps are good.

$n][pErMan
03-28-05, 03:52 PM
Not sure... im at 1.725 right now and unstable in prime95 .. maybe to 1.775? I just wanna know if it matters and if what he said is true. :) If so ... I will go for stable.

JoKeRr
03-28-05, 05:03 PM
there's really nothing good about uping the vcore in my opinion. If it's stable in games, just leave it as is.

$n][pErMan
03-28-05, 07:47 PM
there's really nothing good about uping the vcore in my opinion. If it's stable in games, just leave it as is.
Ya .. I just uped the Vcore slightly from 1.725 to 1.75 and now it passed the FPU test. However it fails the tests which involve memory .. which baffles me as its PC3200 so 202mhz from 200mhz is not exactly far off. Im just gonna leave it as is and continue enjoying games :p Although my mem timings are 2-3-3-8 .. maybe 2-3-3-11 will be better?

Daneel Olivaw
03-28-05, 08:22 PM

You're simply overclocked too much. Voltage or not.

Instabilities don't hurt a CPU, voltage does. It's true that heat is the worst enemy in the short run, but in the long run, voltage is.

rflair
03-28-05, 08:35 PM
Why don't you just down clock it a little since its not prime95 stable to the point where it passes at least 12 hours of prime95?

$n][pErMan
03-28-05, 08:48 PM

You're simply overclocked too much. Voltage or not.

Instabilities don't hurt a CPU, voltage does. It's true that heat is the worst enemy in the short run, but in the long run, voltage is.

Well I took it back down to 1.725v where I had it to begin with where it works perfect on all games 24/7 ... just not prime :) When I had the voltage at 1.775 I was still idling at 40c and load at 48c .... back down to 1.725v I idle 39c .. load 47c. Not a big difference :)

Why don't you just down clock it a little since its not prime95 stable to the point where it passes at least 12 hours of prime95?
Because the Mult is locked at 12.5 and by rasing the FSB all the way to 200mhz I match the speed of my PC3200 and its a nice even 2.5ghz :) Works fine on all games... im not really computing prime numbers all day when I think about it :p

I was toying with the idea of hitting 208 FSB and getting 2.6ghz (sense my Mult is locked... Ive just OC'ed from 166 to 200 and thus would continue going up more) ... but apperently according to you guys .. im probably very close to my safe maximum point.

rflair
03-28-05, 09:07 PM
Since its failing Prime95 after an hour have you tried running memtest to see if your getting memory errors also?

Would trading off 100mhz to drop down to 2.4ghz and be 100% stable be that bad? Does your computer run 24/7 or just for gaming and some web surfing and then off?

$n][pErMan
03-28-05, 10:04 PM
Since its failing Prime95 after an hour have you tried running memtest to see if your getting memory errors also?
Link me.... I'll try this... cause the CPU passes the FPU test all the time. Its when RAM is involved it kicks out after an hour (sometimes sooner)

Would trading off 100mhz to drop down to 2.4ghz and be 100% stable be that bad? Does your computer run 24/7 or just for gaming and some web surfing and then off?
I only game .. surf the web .. and sometimes class work on this particular machine. Its mainly just a gaming powerhouse .. and its ussually never on 24/7. I turn it off at night and only turn it on when im using it (or dont bother to turn it off if I leave for like 2 or 3 hours). :)