PDA

View Full Version : Two basic Forceware questions

DoomUK
03-28-05, 04:51 PM
Hi all, I'm new here (newb)

OK, for reference I'm using 71.84 (with Coolbits 2).

My first question regards the the 'Image Setting' option. Is there any difference between Quality and High Quality? Obviously High Performance disables certain things, that's clear, but can someone give me the low-down on the difference between Quality and High Quality? I notice a small difference in performance on Quality, and I'd like to know exactly what visual quality I'm loosing, if you understand...

My second question is about creating additional game profiles (other than the 'built-in' profiles that come with the drivers - i.e Quake 3, Halo, Splinter Cell etc). Why is it that when I create a profile for, say, Silent Hill 3 that I can't enable AA? Even if pumped up to 4x and above I see no less jaggies... Is it that the game just doesn't 'support' AA somehow? If that's the case why can I enable AA and AF in Quake 3 et all? Or is it that the Forceware tool itself doesn't support the game(s) in question?

Thanks in advance.

PikachuMan
03-28-05, 05:05 PM
The 71.84_ForceWare_Release_70_Graphics_Display_Proper ty_Users_Guide.pdf (ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/71.84/71.84_ForceWare_Release_70_Graphics_Display_Proper ty_Users_Guide.pdf) has the answer to those questions on Page 146. It's 10 Megabytes large though, so I'll just cut and paste relevant portions.

Image Settings allow to have full control over the image quality in your applications.
The Image Settings slider contains the following settings: High Performance,
Performance, Quality, and High Quality.

High performance offers the highest frame rate possible resulting in the best performance for your applications.

Performance offers an optimal blend of image quality and performance. The result is optimal performance and good image quality for your applications.

Quality is the default setting that results in optimal image quality for your applications.

High Quality results in the best image quality for your applications. This setting is not necessary for average users who run game applications. It is designed for more advanced users to generate images that do not take advantage of the programming capability of the texture filtering hardware.

Note: This High Quality setting is not necessary for average users who run game applications. It is designed for more advanced users to generate images that do not take advantage of the programming capability of the texture filtering hardware.

Table of Image Settings and Optimisations (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/PikachuMan/ImageSettings.jpg)

Trilinear Opts - On allows better texture filtering performance with no perceived loss of image
quality. You can view the areas of the image that are affected by the trilinear
optimization by enabling textures that contain colored mipmap chains that are used in typical diagnostic applications.

Anisotropic Mipmap opts - On forces the use of point‐mipmap filtering on all but the primary texture stage.
This improves performance but at some cost to image quality.

Anisotropic Sample opts - This option enables a variety of sample‐related optimizations on all but the primary
texture stage, thus improving performance but with a small impact on image quality.

High Quality forces off all Optimisations.

TheManko
03-28-05, 07:38 PM
The reason AA doesn't work in Silent Hill 3 is because they used some funky rendering method which disables all AA. I guess it has something to do with the depth of field and the wierd resolution setting in the config (1024*1024!?)

OWA
03-28-05, 07:50 PM
Hi all, I'm new here (newb)

My second question is about creating additional game profiles (other than the 'built-in' profiles that come with the drivers - i.e Quake 3, Halo, Splinter Cell etc). Why is it that when I create a profile for, say, Silent Hill 3 that I can't enable AA? Even if pumped up to 4x and above I see no less jaggies... Is it that the game just doesn't 'support' AA somehow? If that's the case why can I enable AA and AF in Quake 3 et all? Or is it that the Forceware tool itself doesn't support the game(s) in question?

Thanks in advance.
You may want to give nHancer a shot also. It makes editing profiles easier.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45204

leca
03-28-05, 10:26 PM
I guess it has something to do with the depth of field and the wierd resolution setting in the config (1024*1024!?)

The "wierd resolution setting in the config (1024*1024!?)" is the texture size.

DoomUK
03-29-05, 03:18 PM
Thankyou all very much for your help :)

TheManko
03-29-05, 05:34 PM
It's not textures, since you can set it to 4096*4096 which makes the game INSANELY slow, even on a 6800 GT. I can't see the difference in texture quality it should make. Besides, even 2048 makes the game far to slow ALL THE TIME to it to have anything to do with textures. Final Fantasy 11 had a similar setting, which had something to do with the screen resolution. Playing with 1024*1024 and an actual resolution of 1280*1024 made the graphics blurry, and AA didn't work, so I'm just guessing they're using the same half-assed konvertion in Silent Hill 3.