PDA

View Full Version : Why no games with interactive daytime feature ??

SH64
03-28-05, 10:13 PM
You know i was thinking about games & daytime .
why there are no games that implement an interactive daytime feature that set the daytime in the game you are playing in sync with your region's real time that can simply get concluded from your windows clock ?
of course this will require the game to implement a dynamic weather/daytime feature .. just think of the result though . the actual time you play your game is the exact time in that game ..

imagine how awesome that will be for games like Morrowind or Stalker for example ! :D
or any other racing game .

do you think its possible to see that in the near future ??

jAkUp
03-28-05, 10:20 PM
Definetely possible, but it would just require some more work from devs :) Sadly it would be impossible for multiplayer games :(

Bad_Boy
03-28-05, 11:26 PM
that would be pretty cool. stalker has the day and night thing but its not in sync with actual time, they should have done that.

good idea to get you more submersed(sp?) in the game.

Definetely possible, but it would just require some more work from devs :) Sadly it would be impossible for multiplayer games :(
i dont see why it would be impossible with some good programming work, but i could see how it would be unfair to players.

one guy playing in pure daylight can see all of his enemies moving around, while another guy playing at night wouldnt be able to see much. that would be pretty unfair.

Slyder
03-28-05, 11:45 PM
You know i was thinking about games & daytime .
why there are no games that implement an interactive daytime feature that set the daytime in the game you are playing in sync with your region's real time that can simply get concluded from your windows clock ??

There was a driving game many moons ago that checked the clock on the Dreamcast then alter the time of day accordingly.

It's been done, its not hard to do and to be honest it's one of a million nice little touches developers leave out because they rarely cant be bothered.

jolle
03-28-05, 11:46 PM
World of Warcraft does this.. If its server side or client Im not sure, but it was accurate for me in the EU beta anyhow.
Not weather tho, just time of day..

Would be odd in morrowind as you can rest there, so if you rest for 10 hours, should the time STILL be localized to yours? even tho 10 hours have passed?
Makes more sense in flight sims, and dont some of those have that feature?

In most FPS games the developers wants to "tailor" the mood and feeling of the maps, which is easier to do if they know what time of day it is in the map, so it would be a novelty feature that wouldnt make a whole lot of sense in most of these..

Certain RGPs that wont allow you to accelerate time or rest or stuff like that might make sense to have it, but then again, if you only CAN play during daytime it would a bit dull to never get to se night time..

CaptNKILL
03-29-05, 12:07 AM
How about an online RPG that has a server-side time schedule that goes by real-world hours. Most online games have "shards" that are meant for people of a certain region to play on, so everyone in the new-england area would have the same time anyway (maybe not to the minute, just because of clock differences, but itd be close). Thatd be really cool actually. Itd be awesome to have to eagerly wait till night time to start doing your shady business in the game... an MMORPG in a modern setting with real-world time would kick ass :)

SH64
03-29-05, 07:18 AM
Would be odd in morrowind as you can rest there, so if you rest for 10 hours, should the time STILL be localized to yours? even tho 10 hours have passed?
Makes more sense in flight sims, and dont some of those have that feature?

i thought of this as well . in that case the game might need to include an option to enable/disable that feature . once you disable it , time will accelrate as usuall.
it should'nt be a must use , it can be an option for those who prefer a more realstic gameplay .
imagine in some RPG games or even action , doing a mission at night gives you more advantages than daylight ?
using stealth in midnight , while only action would work in daylight .. that would be cool .
i even thought about time based missions . for ex. catch the burgler at night .. if you go there sometime else you wont find him , or a convoy moving from place to place in the time between 5:00PM to 6:00PM .. you should be there at that time to reach it & so on ..
this will make the player eagrly wait the right time to do a certain mission :)
& those who cant really keep up with the time , just disable that time interactive fearture .

superklye
03-29-05, 07:25 AM
Icewind Dale 2 had a feature like this...except it only applied to the menu. :)

jbirney
03-29-05, 07:59 AM
JO does this sorta of. If you play more than one map in a row and have one of its opitions set (forget what the name of it was), then the next map will have a different time to it. I have been in battles were we have seen it go from moring, noon, night back to morning again. Pretty cool...

aaahhh52
03-29-05, 09:51 AM
I thoug ms fligh sim 2004 had this but im tottaly sure

Greg
03-29-05, 10:12 AM
I think the main reason it is a rare feature is because of the way it conflicts with the light / shadow model of the game. The higher quality light and shadows, typically the more static the lights must be. If you want the time to change during game play, a dynamic light update system is required. If you just want it set at the start of the game, your level load time will be greater as the once off update is performed. Beyond that, it can just be a bunch of extra work that may not make the game more fun. For a flight sim, this may be a critical feature, for some other game, perhaps less important.

gmontem
03-29-05, 11:27 AM
Not sure how you would implement such a feature when the designers particularly want one realtime minute to be equal to something like 30 minutes in the game. Also, features to speed up certain tasks like fast travel will not be possible. Travelling very long distances and sleeping to recover strength and healing wounds will be long and tedious, and incredibly boring. Saving and loading will be broken, too. If you saved your game inside a shop during the day, the shop will be closed should you reload at night.

robrr2000
03-29-05, 12:19 PM
ya.. MS flight sim 2k4 does this. also has accurate weather patterns and flight path info that is downloaded and updated I think every 15 min. while flying.

Oh and WOW does it to. its server side. depending on the location of the server. night starts at 8pm.
I play on Lightningblade which I think is a central server however live on the east coast, so nighttime starts at 9pm for me.

Slybri
03-30-05, 11:33 AM
Didn't Animal Crossing on the Gamecube do that? I think I rented it once and it was always nightime when I played it. Stupid game....

Edge
03-30-05, 12:28 PM
There was a driving game many moons ago that checked the clock on the Dreamcast then alter the time of day accordingly.
Ahh yes, Metropolis Street Racer. It actually did one better by actually setting the time of the race based on WHERE you were racing (i.e. if it was 5AM in London in real life, it would be 5AM when you raced on the London track). And yes, I've wondered why not many games have time-based environments. It's not THAT hard to put time periods into games, hell even Castlevania on the NES had day/night cycles. Black and White let you match the in-game weather to what your local weather was, but I'm not sure if it also adjusted the time. It could make a cool feature in some games if used well, but like many other capabilities it seems almost ignored (kinda like being able to put your own music into games...).

ricercar
03-30-05, 07:00 PM
The MMORP_ at Secondlife.com has day and night that affect players in all areas simultaneously. I don't know if the terminator moves from east to west in real time, but a regular cycle of "day" and "night" is maintained

TierMann
03-30-05, 09:55 PM
That would be pretty cool, unless you get 6 months of night. That could get kinda boring gamewise.