PDA

View Full Version : Everquest 2. Some thoughts. I'm still left wondering.

Pages : 1 [2]

Nuvian
04-01-05, 06:38 AM
im actualy on my way out from this game,i had 3 accounts,canceld one 2 days ago,will soon cancel my other 2 aswell,the game was missing something,it felt as it had so many artificial limitations,and lately i dont have much time spending ages looking for group and raiding,next game ill try will be WoW,since ive turned into a more casual gamer lately,the items are also quite limited,nothing stands out except raid drops,and the drop rate of master chests is quite low in xp groups,graphics were ok but after playing around 5 months or so and still no stutter fix ive kinda given up.
basicly this game is more of a chore then a a fun expirience,and without pvp there isnt really anything to give you a fun expirience without having to "grind" ither if its adventure wise or crafting wise,and i dont count harvesting for rares a relaxing and fun expirience ::D

caldas
04-01-05, 09:11 AM
(...)after playing around 5 months or so and still no stutter fix ive kinda given up(...)

Yep, I cancelled my account of same reason. The EQ2 was launched in november and none fix for the 6800 problema yet. I donīt want to pay for a BETA Game, If SOE and Nvidia are working close to fix this, why this delay?
The ATi users got 3 or 4 new drivers and Nvidia launched one with temp bug yet?
Bha... great support this :(

|MaguS|
04-01-05, 09:26 AM
The stutter issue isn't SOE's fault, blame Nvidia... they need to release a driver to fix the issue.

ChrisRay
04-01-05, 09:59 AM
I have been playing again. WHile the game isnt perfect. I have actually experience/seen the solo improvements ((and they are nice improvements. Nektulos, Commonlands ect offer so much better solo content. Its night and day. And judging from the patch notes they've been better balancing the zones for solo content for all the zones. Its much better than it was. I find this aproach much better than Sony's old 90% group 10% solo and WoW 90% solo 10% group methods.

FraGTastiK
04-01-05, 07:21 PM
One thing gone unnoticed about EQ2 and Geforce6 series' not that
impressive performance* gets back to base code and developement of the game,actually EQ2 is a "Get in the Game" title just without the ATi badge on it.

Back to days when I had a 9800XT and used to go through ATi website there was a video there that showed EQ2 Devs talking about how more comfortable is to make their game on ATi hardware and how nice and fantastic it looks on ATi hardware.
surely this game is THE garphic heavy MMORPG title,but the base code is built on and opimized for ATi hardware and its not nVIDIA's fault or GF6 series weakness I presume.as long as MMORPG talk goes GF6 has been nerfed!

perhaps the same goes with Guild Wars.There was some Dev talk about it on that video.In fact the game is recently,officially carrying the red badge.

*max detailed,highres,4aa 8af or higher,single card

ChrisRay
04-01-05, 07:57 PM
One thing gone unnoticed about EQ2 and Geforce6 series' not that
impressive performance* gets back to base code and developement of the game,actually EQ2 is a "Get in the Game" title just without the ATi badge on it.

Back to days when I had a 9800XT and used to go through ATi website there was a video there that showed EQ2 Devs talking about how more comfortable is to make their game on ATi hardware and how nice and fantastic it looks on ATi hardware.
surely this game is THE garphic heavy MMORPG title,but the base code is built on and opimized for ATi hardware and its not nVIDIA's fault or GF6 series weakness I presume.as long as MMORPG talk goes GF6 has been nerfed!

perhaps the same goes with Guild Wars.There was some Dev talk about it on that video.In fact the game is recently,officially carrying the red badge.

*max detailed,highres,4aa 8af or higher,single card

Mm I dont really agree with that. EQ is optimised for DirectX 8.0 level hardware. It Primarily uses shader model 1.1 for all its rendering effects. This is about as best case scenerio for any DX 8.0 hardware and maybe minor stiffling point for DX 9.0 hardware.

nrdstrm
04-01-05, 08:59 PM
Chris,
I am currently running the game with a P4 3.0 @ 3.4, 1gb ram, 6800GT @400/1100. I run the game at 1280X1024. What I was wondering is if I enable AA/AF, will I see a huge performance hit? I play at high settings with some things tweaked down and am happy with the graphics options I get from that but the jaggies still get on my nerves. If it isn't too huge of a hit, how do I enable again? I heard something about creating an eq2.ini file, but can't remember the command....
Thanks in advance for your help...
Nrdstrm

ChrisRay
04-01-05, 09:24 PM
Open up notepad and add this line.

r_aa_blit 1

Save it to eq2.ini. I will say this. 1600x1200 with 4xAA/16xAF just isnt playable on my machine. I am now playing @ 1280x960 with 4xAA/8xAF and getting very good framerates. 1 6800GT was always enough for 1156x864 with 4xAA/16xAF my old settings. I must admit its a wee bit disapointing having to drop the resolution. But 1600x1200 was just too much. And I cant give up Anti Aliasing.

With a single card @ 1280x960 I have a little trouble maintaining steady performance @ 2xAA/8xAF in EQ 2. So I am not sure how it will work out for you. Anisotropic Filtering optimisations make a rather big difference too.

Sovereignxp
04-03-05, 04:40 PM
I played the game for a few months and it was fun for a bit... got a level 35 guardian and a level 28 Swashy, I decided to stop playing. I got turned off on the value of certain things.. horses costing an arm and a leg, trying to make gold via crafting ect... is a Major pain in the ass. I spend all day just to make a few pieces of gold... sure as hell a long way to go to purchase a horse for 9 platinum... I never even had 1p in my possession yet.

Some houses cost INSANE amounts of money to acquire and pay for upkeep.

Everquest 2 started to turn into a chore rather then a game.

Is it a bad game overall? No. Graphics are top notch. Performance on the other hand is not so good. Everquest 2 is just a little over the top for me.

|MaguS|
04-03-05, 04:46 PM
1pp in EQ2 is like 100Kpp in EQ1... My friend made alot of cash by harvesting, he doesn't craft at all. Just harvests rares and sells them...