PDA

View Full Version : Forceware 90.xx - Inq talking crap?

Pages : [1] 2

Electronic Punk
03-29-05, 05:22 AM
WE LEARNED that Nvidia is working on a fresh set of drivers codenamed series 90. The company just released its 70 series of drivers that brought features such as Pure Video and better SLI compatibility.
We have strong reason to believe that the 90 series of driver will be able to support SLI setups with more than two cards and that it will have much better support for games on SLI setups.

We donít have any indication about the release time of these drivers, but we expect them in the next month or two. We heard that the series 90 should be the version that will support the upcoming Windows 64 bit edition as this is the next big thing in the operating system area.

I would not expect miraculous speedups from these driver as we havenít seen that happen for a long time, but I guess they will be worth downloading once they arrive. Ķ

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22185

Firstly NVIDIA codename their drivers by Rel90 so that must be off, we know Rel75 is still in beta testing and could be out in a month or two, cos a leak happens now and then. Also there are already drivers for Windows x64 available. What a load of rubbish.

Superfly
03-29-05, 05:26 AM
yup - I think there talking about rel75.

macatak
03-29-05, 07:09 AM
ha.. we all know how The Inquirer get their numbers mixed up, remember the 71.03 Pure Video driver :)

superklye
03-29-05, 08:24 AM
More than 2-card SLI?! :eek:

SweetLou
03-29-05, 08:31 AM
Oh yeah baby I can't wait til I can buy a motherboard where I can have 4x6800 Ultras SLI. I'll be sure to get that ASAP... :rolleyes:

MUYA
03-29-05, 08:42 AM
4X PCIE cards = each with 4X PCIE bandwidth.

Hmmm maybe a new set of PCIE chipsets will lift these restrictions?

Red_Shift
03-29-05, 09:00 AM
It's not 4xcards, it's 4xgpu's = 2xcards, so it uses 2xpci-e slots just like the actual SLI. There's already pics floating on the net of an asus 6800U with 2 gpu's and SLI ready.

Electronic Punk
03-29-05, 09:22 AM
But April fools is over 2 days away.

MUYA
03-29-05, 09:30 AM
It's not 4xcards, it's 4xgpu's = 2xcards, so it uses 2xpci-e slots just like the actual SLI. There's already pics floating on the net of an asus 6800U with 2 gpu's and SLI ready.
ya you are still limited to 4X pcie bandwidth aren't u? Each GPU will have what is available (16) divided by the number of GPus for PCIE bandwidth.

Whether 16X to 8X to 4X makes a difference is up for debate. We will see.

Mojoe
03-29-05, 09:30 AM
G70 is 2x NV41 according to Dave B.

MUYA
03-29-05, 09:32 AM
So a 6 quad GPU. We have known that for some time now. There are other things beside the extra quad blocks. April can't come quicker. or was that may? No it was June? hmm whenever

Red_Shift
03-29-05, 11:46 AM
The pci-e bandwidth is not a problem really, be more concerned with the cpu you need to feed those beasts.

wEEt
03-29-05, 12:41 PM
Well, playing @ 1600x1200 with 16xAA should bring those beasts to their limit.

Acid Rain
03-29-05, 02:38 PM
Oh yeah baby I can't wait til I can buy a motherboard where I can have 4x6800 Ultras SLI. I'll be sure to get that ASAP... :rolleyes:The only bad thing about this comes into play when they release a chip that's four times as fast, and it only costs as much as a single Ultra.
Well, I geuss the updside is that you get that power today with SLI, instead of waiting for the new cards.

$2,000 SLI setup or a $500 dollar single next gen card that's just as fast? That is the SLI dillemma.

H-street
03-29-05, 03:25 PM
The only bad thing about this comes into play when they release a chip that's four times as fast, and it only costs as much as a single Ultra.
Well, I geuss the updside is that you get that power today with SLI, instead of waiting for the new cards.

$2,000 SLI setup or a $500 dollar single next gen card that's just as fast? That is the SLI dillemma.

the natural progression isn't going to be SLI in multiple cards but SLI on the single card..

look at 3dfx, they started out with the SLI v2 and matured that technology and then with their v5 5k they simply put 2 on 1 card.. no need for multiple Cards in SLI, simply put multiple GPU's on 1 card (which we are already seeing)

the difference between the value segment and the enthusiast segment is the number of GPU's on the card, like the v5 4500,5000, and unreleased 6000 (1,2,4)

so in a sense, todays SLI setups are nothing more than a precursor to single card multiple GPU's

sniggle
03-29-05, 03:41 PM
i can't even imagine the power supply required for something like an SLI setup with 2 gpu's on each card, plus a dual core cpu to run the system. you would need 600 watts at LEAST i'd imagine. as it is, my 480 watt is barely keeping up with my single 6800gt and amd64 (and 4 hard drives, two of which are 10k rpm).

RanCorX2
03-29-05, 04:02 PM
forceware 90.XX, bet its bs....till a leak it smells fake.

SweetLou
03-29-05, 05:47 PM
4X PCIE cards = each with 4X PCIE bandwidth.

Hmmm maybe a new set of PCIE chipsets will lift these restrictions?
I was thinking more of 4 independent 16x PCI-E slots each with 16x.

Peoples-Agent
03-29-05, 07:16 PM
But April fools is over 2 days away.

Like the driver releases, even the April Fools puns drop months late.

jolle
03-29-05, 07:55 PM
I was thinking more of 4 independent 16x PCI-E slots each with 16x.
Might need a new Chipset for that, need 64 PCI-E lanes for that, not sure if current PCI-E chipset supprts that many lanes.

MUYA
03-30-05, 06:06 AM
The pci-e bandwidth is not a problem really, be more concerned with the cpu you need to feed those beasts.
U sure about that? CPU is definately a problem even for single nv40s or nv45s sometimes. But PCIE bandwidth not a problem is being a bit optimistic, sure they are (gmaes) are programmed /coded so that they might utilize lil bandwidth as possible as you want all you want onboard rather than system ram but still.

ChrisRay
03-30-05, 06:25 AM
U sure about that? CPU is definately a problem even for single nv40s or nv45s sometimes. But PCIE bandwidth not a problem is being a bit optimistic, sure they are (gmaes) are programmed /coded so that they might utilize lil bandwidth as possible as you want all you want onboard rather than system ram but still.

I would say its currently not a problem. But could present to be one in time.

MUYA
03-30-05, 07:05 AM
I wish someone would bench these cards at 8X and 16X and 4X just to see if it dies affect performance somewhat or not at all.

mike2h
03-30-05, 12:10 PM
4x pcie cards on one board will never happen imo. power req, heat dissapation, & chipset deisign aside, think of how big the mb would have to be. 4 slots for video + your normal use slots + the circuitry, chips & electronic devices needed to support this. then throw in the cost factor. then the topper- who needs it?
as far as having more than 2 highend gpus on one board i do not believe that is going to happen any time soon either. basically for most of the reasons above. can you imagine how large this card would be? through in the cooler(s) & the weight becomes a definite factor.
i think nvidia (& ati with there multi gpu vers) have enough on their plates trying to get sli up & running the waty it should be. 2 card sli is far from being fully developed.
i would be happy if nvidia would just release a set of drivers that has all the known common bugs fixed & runs as smooth & fast as the 7184. faster would be better of course;)

Sgt_Pitt
03-31-05, 02:59 AM
oops misread