PDA

View Full Version : Questions for A8N-SLI Deluxe owners

The WOLF
03-29-05, 04:24 PM
I just built a system around an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo... and have a couple of questions, so if you own one of these, please let me know what you think

1) Which SATA ports should I use for 2 HD's in Raid 0? The NV ones or the SIL ones? One faster/better than the other?

2) Which GBit LAN port should I use if I only need to use 1 of them? Is the NV one faster than the Marvell one? Does the NV one offload the TCPIP stuff from the CPU? I don't need the NV firewall stuff...

Thanks!

jAkUp
03-29-05, 04:33 PM
I would use nvidia for the raid, and nvidia for the lan also... the nvidia lan is on the PCIe bus

The WOLF
03-29-05, 04:49 PM
I would use nvidia for the raid, and nvidia for the lan also... the nvidia lan is on the PCIe bus

Is there a benefit to using the nvidia raid over the SIL one? Sorry if that sounds stupid, /me trying to learn a little something here...

Thanks

wheeljack12
03-29-05, 08:15 PM
I would agree with Jakup here. Mind you I have a partially biased view point since I have a necessity. The nice thing is too being that you update one unified driver over two seperate ones.

The WOLF
03-30-05, 06:11 AM
First, I changed over from the SIL sata to Nvidia and did a clean install of XP.

Loaded the drivers from the mobo CD and the Nvidia ethernet worked, no problemo. I wanted to update to the latest Nf4 drivers, so I went in and removed the driver for the NVidia ethernet adapter (in safe mode + used Driver Cleaner), rebooted, then installed the latest one (March date) from the Nvidia website (the WHQL one).

After install, I rebooted, then gave it a shot - it's not working at all with the latest driver. The Nvidia ethernet adapter is enabled, but it won't connect to anything. :mad: If I go to network config to review its settings, the application dies/freezes. I went into the settings in safe mode, nothing suspicious there... just wont connect to anything (can't ping router, without router and with direct connect to cable modem still no pings).

At this point /me is more than a bit frustrated.... So.... I uninstalled the newest ethernet driver and put the old one from the ASUS MOBO install CD back on... and it works with the old one. I have no idea why the updated driver doesn't work right...

I used the NF4 Stand Alone Kit drivers on the Nvidia website, the Unified drivers don't say that they support NF4 SLI

Unified

Audio driver 4.42 (WHQL)
Audio utilities 4.44
Ethernet driver 4.42 (WHQL)
GART driver 4.36 (WHQL)
Memory controller driver 3.38 (WHQL)
SMBus driver 4.04 (WHQL)
Installer 4.46
IDE NVIDIA driver 4.46 (WHQL)

Nf4 Stand Alone Kit

Audio driver 4.60 (WHQL)
Audio utilities 4.51
Ethernet driver 4.75 (WHQL)
SMBus driver 4.45 (WHQL)
Installer 4.60
IDE NVIDIA driver 5.18 (WHQL)

jAkUp
03-30-05, 10:29 AM
Hmmm.. weird, I am using the latest standalone driver with my DFI board... this is on a clean install

saturnotaku
03-30-05, 10:59 AM
Whenever I've tried to uninstall NVIDIA chipset drivers, it's given me nothing but problems. I always install updated packages over my existing drivers and it's worked every time. I hate to say it, but you might need a clean install and just update with the current drivers.

BTW, I'm using the Silicon Image RAID controller on my SLI board. I only used it because I'm familiar with their RAID setup interface and drivers. I've had no issues at all to this point. My box is fast and stable.