PDA

View Full Version : 3 monitors?

Roadhog
03-29-05, 06:58 PM
Would this be possible to do on a XFX 6600GT???

I want to have 3 of my Samsung 710's, so i can have one in the center, and on on each side... would this be possible or a complete waste?

Also, would games support it?

EDIT: Or should i just buy 1 more, and use 2 monitors.

jolle
03-29-05, 07:06 PM
I think the only cards that can do that atm are Matrox Parhelia series with Triple head..
I think you could do it with a mobo with the new A64 Chipset from ATI with integrated graphics combined with a dual screen capable video card..
Or add in a PCI graphics card on a regular setup perhaps..

But to play on 3 monitors you would prolly have to use a Parhelia with its "surround gaming" feature that will span 3 monitors..
which means 800x600 would be 2400x600..
Unfortunatly those cards are pretty slow, so it kindof defeats itself in that aspect.. and not all games supports it..

Roadhog
03-29-05, 07:13 PM
damn, so how would 2 LCD's work in gaming? could i game on just one, and like surf net on the other?

H-street
03-29-05, 09:15 PM
RoadHog..

you set it to horizontal spanning..

see

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040216/

is a pretty good writeup on the subject..

its an older article but much of it should still apply..

Roadhog
03-30-05, 06:38 PM
ooh, thanks for the link :)... im gona buy a second monitor once i get the money.

ricercar
03-30-05, 06:47 PM
No single GeForce card, including the 6800, can drive 3 displays simultaneously. Some Quadros, for example, the NVS 280, can drive four displays, but I don't have that kind of money just to play UT2004 with peripheral vision.

NVIDIA GPUs since GeForce2--but not including GeForce3--have been able to drive two displays simultaneously. But it's a real pain in the ass to play UT2004 with the crosshair on the break between dual monitors.

And darn it all, I've never been able to get a PCI GeForce to combine with an AGP card for 3-screen UT2004.

gleep52
05-09-05, 04:56 PM
Where is the dual view option in the latest 71.66 version of the forceware drivers?? nView doesn't appear to list that as an option - there is just:
Single
Clone
Horizontal Span
Vertical Span

What happened to the ability to change the second monitor's resolution or drag it around the side of the primary monitor, etc...?