PDA

View Full Version : PSP Games - well, what do you think?!?

Pages : [1] 2

oldsk00l
03-30-05, 04:12 PM
k, so we have dipped our toes into the water by getting the PSP. We may have even purchased a game (or two!!).

This thread is about the games, what game did you get, and what do you think??

I'm interested in knowing too, since I am on the verge of either waiting for something else to come out or is there something else good already? (ie, the reviews haven't exactly been stellar for Untold Legends...but is it really fun anyway??). If the latter, I don't want to miss out!

Here is what I bought, and what I think:

Wipeout Pure
I got this game because I wanted something really graphical, when looking at the video sampler I saw motion blur, bloom, vertex shading, and quite frankly some track environments that look comparable to stuff on the PC/Xbox. Take the underwater tunnel area and you'll see what I mean, some really good shading is going on there. It also has wonderful lens flares and ship effects (particularly ship explosions).

In all honesty, when playing this game, I forgot that it was on a handheld. I took the PSP to bed (couldn't figure out the sechs port...so I went ahead and loaded wipeout, oh well) and played some wipeout and it wasn't until I started getting tired that I realized "Oh yeah, this is a HANDHELD, not an all out console...WOW!"

I bought the game for graphics, but was delighted that once the "WOW" effect wore off (mainly due to the PSP, not the game itself) I was treated to an awesome racing game as well. The shoulder buttons function as air brakes which fit into the physics engine VERY well. It's predictable, but also unpredictable just as a physics engine should be. I have noticed that when trying to hit a sharp curve with the airbrakes the vehicle will behave differently if its by itself vs being in a clump of other racers trying to round the corner as well. Note, this is NOT due to bumping into them, I know that - this was being on the outside corner hitting the opponents exhaust and getting knocked around by it, or being in the shadow of his air brake which causes some disturbace in my directional control.

Very good stuff there.

The powerups are very nice too, you have your oldschool rockets, bombs, and mines. You also have the semi-previously done triple rockets, homing rockets and the disruption missile which makes the driver behave like a drunkard. There are some nifty introductions such as the (from what I can tell) "bouncy missile" which if it hits a wall and you hit your fire button again it will bounce in the direction of the nearest player. You can also convert the powerups you currently carry back into ship energy. Very nice things.

With all that said, the ladder modes do add a lot of fun as well. You have regular tournament, single race, and free play. All of which you can play at two different max speeds. As you progress through the tournament you unlock levels, and it's pretty standard fare except when you go into zone mode. In zone mode, your max speed steadily increases until your ship gets blown up. This is particularly fun.

So, that's about Wipeout in a nutshell. Anyone else got a different game? I've been wanting to try out Lumines, Untold Legends, and Twisted Metal.

Clay
03-30-05, 04:26 PM
Lumines is the crack that everyone claims it to be and then some. 'nuff said :)

Untold Legends is a lot of fun for me (being a fan of the hack/slash genre such as Dungeon Seige, BG, etc). While Gamespot kind of crapped on it, the reviews by readers there have it at 8.4 and I agree with them.

PROS
------------------------
- I was impressed at the depth of this game with the upgrade tree, overall RPG elements, etc

- tons of weapons, armor, rings, etc and I've only played about an hour or so

- decent implementation of the camera, better than I expected

- I was impressed with the load times once past the initial game load

- graphics are very nice and show of some of the PSP's power (looks better than Dungeon Seige actually IMO)

- fun

- save anywhere

- four different player types so some replay value for sure

CONS
------------------------
- Sometimes your inventory screen loads in "stages" (i.e. your knight will start off nekkid, and then boots will appear, then the breastplate will pop on, then his hair color will change, etc)

- No way to customize the controls

- would like another zoom level that is between the current two options (out or WAY in)

- not innovative, typical hack/slash but I could have that as a "PRO" too :)

One thing to consider is that if it doesn't sell well due to some of the high profile poor reviews of it then you might be able to pick it up for $30 or so before long.

Oh and I agree with your Wipeout review. Well said on all counts. :)

Rakeesh
03-30-05, 04:45 PM
Hmm....something else I am curious of. I wonder how most would compare the PSP to the DS if they own both?

Slybri
03-30-05, 04:55 PM
I'm not really impressed by any of the release titles from Sony so far. I'm not that big into sports or racing games. I'm more into RPGs, which is where the playstation 2 really shines. Looking at the lineup of games, it looks like they were going after the X-box crowd, all sports games. I was suprised they didn't have a Final Fantasy turn based RPG type game available at launch. Or something like Zelda or FF:Tactics advance on the GBA. Untold Legends looks neat, but not enough to justify buying a system. I guess I'm gonna have to wait until some better titles come out before picking up mine. I want one though...they are sexy cool.

oldsk00l
03-30-05, 05:01 PM
I don't own both, but I did get to demo both when I bought the PSP. I demo'd the DS first too, and while the screen quality isn't "bad" it's more or less standard handheld fare. It wasn't quite as good as the tungsten E's screen. The samus graphics were "ok" but honestly it kind of reminded me of PSX graphics but with bilinear filtering. Possibly with more geometric detail than the N64 - barely. Textures are all really low-rez and such. When I looked at the screens for the side scrollers and watched the movies for em, I though "kid toy". Not that they are bad games, but there are 2D games and 3D games - and I don't buy 2D games unless I have nothing else available to me.

The touch thing was kinda cool, and I did get to try out the racing game for it. Graphics again, reminded me of PSX. Not that it's bad, I mean it IS a handheld and so in that mindset it was easy to be entertained by it and into the game. The speakers are great too, more on that in a little bit.

When I put that down and tried out the PSP, I thought "man, Nintendo is getting their asses kicked". Step back for a second, and think about this fundamentally, what is good for games? A stylus, or killer display? Seriously, try the Metroid game, try the Mario games and just think about it. Then try Wipeout Pure. Instantly I had the epiphany that Nintendo is going to LOSE the gamble on a huge scale. The PSP's graphics and controls are better than N64's, the Saturn, and possibly the gamecube. It's tight, it's integrated, and it's VERY responsive with TRUE analog control. The only downfall is that the analog stick should have been at the top instead of the bottom. For other purposes, a touch screen just doesn't do anything really for games. It's gimmick, it's clumsy, and it gets old.

The only inferiority to the DS I can find in the PSP are the speakers. They are worthless crap compared to the DS speakers. I wish Sony would do a better keyboard too, and voice recording isn't important to me.

When I weighed all of it in I went with the PSP, bought Wipeout Pure, and I have been obsessed with this little thing far more than my Mac. Sony did for handheld gaming what Apple did for portable music. If memory stick prices come down, I will not bother wasting my time getting an ipod either. The PSP remote makes music playing very nice, stellar quality, and very easy. On the Mac using PSPware I have also been able to move my itunes music to the PSP as well. Very good stuff. In lieu of my needs/wants, the DS would have been an "adequate" purchase, the PSP was an "awesome" purchase.

Riptide
03-30-05, 07:42 PM
This is my first handheld gaming system ever.

The only game I have is Ridge Racer. I've never played it before. So far it's easily as good as any NFS series game I've played on the PC, probably better. I love racing head to head against my buddy, though he usually kicks my ass since he's been playing RR forever.

Other than the aliasing, which is kinda bad, the graphics are excellent. Very nice quality small LCD.

Vagrant Zero
03-30-05, 07:47 PM
So far I've picked up WipeOut [great game, love the Zone] and Metal Gear ACID [takes a while to get into but it's worth it]. I bought RR off ebay [completely sold out here in LA] but it hasn't arrived yet.

And there are at least 4-5 traditional/action RPGs on the PSP. Unforetunetly they are all japanese and only Tower of Purgatory has been annouced for release [April 5th], though Tales of Eternia will probabley make it over here. I just hope the Gagharv Trilogy is translated, that's one RPG series I'd really like to play.

Buenamos
03-30-05, 11:31 PM
I currently own Tiger Woods PGA Tour and Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix. So far, Tony hawk is exactly like any of the TH's on the consoles with just a few extra levels. My current favorite is Tiger Woods though. I've never golfed b4 in my life but this game is soooo addicting. The cpu is very competitive and is great for road trips. Played it on the way to my g-ma's for easter, 2 hours there, 2 hours back :p . I'm currently renting Lumines from my job at gamestop and I'll let u know tomorrow.

Rakeesh
03-31-05, 01:27 AM
Hmm...so the PSP also functions as a portable music player then? I wonder if you can burn your own discs for those?

WRT to the speakers, a decent set of headphones would no doubt fix that. I tend to prefer headphones myself for portable devices anyways.

Sounds to me like nintendos last days in the hardware business are close at hand...

sytaylor
03-31-05, 01:57 AM
Sony did for handheld gaming what Apple did for portable music.

That's a quote I expect to see everywhere in a year's time... but I heard it here first :p

Riptide
03-31-05, 11:28 AM
Hmm...so the PSP also functions as a portable music player then? I wonder if you can burn your own discs for those?
You can put MP3 files on the memory sticks but you can't burn UMD discs.

Clay
03-31-05, 11:41 AM
Can't burn to UMDs yet. The Sony MiniDisc was read-only initially as well but eventually they opened it up to being recordable.

Whichs begs the question, why didn't Sony just go with their Hi-MD format? It's limited to 1GB but a 10 pack of them will only set you back $50 (http://www.planetminidisc.com/hmd1g-10.html). Maybe the MD format is maxed out there and they obviously needed more capacity with UMD's being ~1.8GB...oh well.

saturnotaku
03-31-05, 11:53 AM
Whichs begs the question, why didn't Sony just go with their Hi-MD format? It's limited to 1GB but a 10 pack of them will only set you back $50 (http://www.planetminidisc.com/hmd1g-10.html). Maybe the MD format is maxed out there and they obviously needed more capacity with UMD's being ~1.8GB...oh well.

I hope against hope that they will release devices that allow you to record to UMD. I would love to be able to burn MP3s and movies on those to take with me instead of having to put the files on Memory Sticks.

I've only played Lumines very briefly. I didn't get it until I read the f-ing manual and watched the demo. I'll play it more tonight, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun. I'll also be picking up Tiger Woods - I'm glad they decided to base it on '04 because '05 was a step backwards in the franchise IMO. Good, good stuff this PSP. I'm glad I got one. :D

oldsk00l
03-31-05, 11:55 AM
I'm hoping that in a firmware release they do something about the UMD reads for music/movies. Like, for music, load 20mb of music into the main memory and let the UMD spin down for less battery usage.

Clay
03-31-05, 12:36 PM
I'm hoping that in a firmware release they do something about the UMD reads for music/movies. Like, for music, load 20mb of music into the main memory and let the UMD spin down for less battery usage.
Oooh, good idea! Making use of the MemoryStick as a cache area. That would be very cool.

Glad you're liking the PSP Ed. :cool: I'm tempted to TW as well...must resist temptation to buy another game. Heheh nah I'll have to give it a rest for now. My PSP piggy bank has run dry for now. :)

FierceDeityLink
03-31-05, 10:27 PM
I got Lumines and I rented Twisted Metal: Head On. I really like Lumines, but I can't say the same for Twisted Metal... The analog stick controls very erratically and the directional pad is difficult to accelerate and turn... It feels like an arcade flight sim with the cars blazing by and making so sharp turns.

My PSP seems to be collecting dust under the screen. I guess I'll be taking it back for an exchange and this time putting on a screen protector. I've had good luck with the Hori brand for the DS, so I'm expecting the same quality for the PSP. It sucks that the included case scratches the screen so much...

Clay
03-31-05, 10:34 PM
Wipeout has much better control thatn TMHO from what I've heard. I have Wipeout and love it.

I've used the included case a bit but haven't had any scratches yet. I've also yet to do anything with the screen other than blow it with air and use a soft makeup brush on it. I'll get the Hori covers as well, heard great things about them.

Hex
04-01-05, 05:15 AM
Picked up Darkstalkers when I got the system, and then Need for Speed : Underground.
Darkstalkers is just mindless fun.
2d fighters have always been a love of mine since Street Fighter 1 and then hardcore in the years to follow with NeoGeo fare such as Fatal Fury, KOF , and Samurai Showdown to the force of nature that was Street Fighter II champion edition.
I still load up MAME to play all of the original versions of the DS series but the conversion is a good time and will stay in my play box.

NFS: UG is better than I expected after seeing some reviews.
No manual trannie is a bit dissapointing (but it does make it easier) is about the only real gripe I can find.
Many many cars, lots of ways to customize and tweak them out, good soundtrack, really good sense of speed (especially in first person view).
From what I have seen of Ridge Racer NFS:UG will not top it, but it is good times none the less.

Ordered Lumines and Tony Hawk :UG so will have hands on for those soon.
I very much agree that I really want to see a solid RPG out soon (and not a conversion).
All of the games are nice and all, but it is obvious that they were pushing for the multiplayer presence at launch and left alot out.
(I am surprised there was no fps at launch).

The big thing is that there is no trademark titles out, no games that will make the system.

XBox had Halo , PS had FFVII and PS2 had the FF follow ups, Game Cube had Zelda.
So far there is nothing on the horizon that screams to me and I am hoping the FF Advent game is as solid as I hope and i know the Advent Children will be amazing.

saturnotaku
04-01-05, 08:18 AM
Played Lumines on the train coming home yesterday. It's definitely an awesome game because I found myself cursing under my breath a lot. That's how I know a puzzle game is good - I curse a lot while playing it because I'm not very good at them. :D

Ninjaman09
04-01-05, 11:45 AM
I just broke 100,000 for my Lumines high score yesterday. I'm really starting to get the hang of it!

I love Lumines and everyone should own it.

Metal Gear AC!D is good but hasn't held my interest that much. The game is "interesting" but it isn't fun. I want to see some Castlevania goodness from Konami, or a normal MGS game.

Vagrant Zero
04-01-05, 04:03 PM
So far there is nothing on the horizon that screams to me and I am hoping the FF Advent game is as solid as I hope and i know the Advent Children will be amazing.

Actually, FFVII: Crisis Core is heading for a PSP release. And this time the spinoff actually happens to be an RPG.

Hex
04-01-05, 05:57 PM
Ok, got Lumines and Tony Hawk : Underground Remix in today.

Tony Hawk is the game you know and love, nothing more, nothing less.
It is a great game for passing time, fun with other people.
Nothing new to the table, but again no gripes.

Now Lumines...
I hate this game, I really do.
Why?
Because I now know that I will be losing sleep, and I will be spending my breaks and lunches and every other waking moment jacked in and totally lost to it.
For something that on paper is so simple, this game is nothing short of amazing and addictive.

Clay
04-01-05, 06:01 PM
Ok, got Lumines and Tony Hawk : Underground Remix in today.

Tony Hawk is the game you know and love, nothing more, nothing less.
It is a great game for passing time, fun with other people.
Nothing new to the table, but again no gripes.

Now Lumines...
I hate this game, I really do.
Why?
Because I now know that I will be losing sleep, and I will be spending my breaks and lunches and every other waking moment jacked in and totally lost to it.
For something that on paper is so simple, this game is nothing short of amazing and addictive.
Yeah Lumines is nuts. It's the only game in a looooong time that I've found myself playing in my head. Weird.

oldsk00l
04-01-05, 06:12 PM
Yeah Lumines is nuts. It's the only game in a looooong time that I've found myself playing in my head. Weird.

That Penny Arcade comic for lumines was hilarious.

oldsk00l
04-03-05, 01:33 PM
Just bought UL, and here goes:

Graphics are pretty good, not quite as flashy as wipeout, but for the genre it's at the top of its league. Dungeon Siege does NOT look as good, plain and simple. The variety of spells/weapons is very good, and they don't make it insanely difficult to acquirea kickass weapon and the combine it with an item to make it a "super-kick ass weapon".

Early on I got a hold of a zweihander and combined it with this..healing stone. What happens then is my special hit on an enemy was to use his life force to heal me, while doing a truckload of damage to it.

The sound is my only beef with it, in Wipeout the audio is rich with bass and a very good techno-beat. However in UL, it well...sucks. The music sounds like a 1995 midi based game like Monkey Island. The other sound effects are decent, pretty much the cliche "HHYAAAH!!!!" and "HUNNNNH!!!!" grunts with clanking of swords, "BRRZZAAAAP" type spell sounds, and typical arrow sounds.

Then again, when I was playing it on the PSP's speakers it made sense - Sony didn't want to waste the development of great audio on speakers that wouldn't even be able to play it. Still, allot of folks use headphones, and it would sound great on that...oh well.

The character speech is all text, no voice acting. I don't know if this is really for battery, but rather development time length. I think the UMD's have plenty of room to fit all the audio and the content, but I think Sony needed a game out there and the voice acting would have taken eons. There is TONS of dialogue in this game.

The world of Unataca is pretty rich, with tons you can explore and such. I think it's a great game.