PDA

View Full Version : What would be a better upgrade?

joltcola
03-30-05, 04:27 PM
I've got a AMD Athlon XP 1700 (1.4ghz) on a MSI KT3 Ultra 2 /w 512 of PC2100

I was thinking of upgrading it before I gave it to my friend.

Here are my ideas...

two new sicks of pc2700 512 (1gig) for 50 bux
(I like this idea cause of cost)

or

Sempron 3000+ (2.0Ghz) for 100 bux
(not so much on the liking, but if its a big boost in performance..)

I'm just trying to get WoW to run smoothly without o/c'ing

just need some input and some advice. I'm reading reviews, and I can't decide.

-- jolt

Strahd
03-30-05, 04:30 PM
Unfortunetly for WoW I would have to recommend both. But if you can only do one, the extra memory would be more of a benefit then the 600mhz increase in cpu speed.....

joltcola
03-30-05, 04:34 PM
Unfortunetly for WoW I would have to recommend both. But if you can only do one, the extra memory would be more of a benefit then the 600mhz increase in cpu speed.....

good point on that. I think I'll pick up the two sticks.
I hope it does the trick. it performs decent for grinding (leveling) , but for pvp or going into any of the major cities, the fps are hitting the floor. Poor ti4200.

-- jolt

SH64
03-30-05, 04:45 PM
I would go with the extra memory as well .

Maverickman
03-30-05, 09:39 PM
Both upgrades would be nice, but the extra memory would give you a better performance improvement. If you could pick up an Athlon XP 3200+ or even a 3000+, you'd be better off than getting a Sempron 3000+.

joltcola
04-01-05, 10:45 PM
Both upgrades would be nice, but the extra memory would give you a better performance improvement. If you could pick up an Athlon XP 3200+ or even a 3000+, you'd be better off than getting a Sempron 3000+.

The motherboard is limited up to Athlon XP 3000+. I read reviews comparing the athlon to the sempron, and I haven't seen much in performance difference. AthlonXP gets better scores, but not by much, and I was trying to spend as little as possible. I think I'm going to purchase the ram and go from there. I was running on 512 of pc2100 for a long time (including playing WoW) and wasn't doing too bad imo.

Thanks for the input though. I'm going to read up a little more on the differences between the sempron and the athlonXP. I'm not sure why they changed the name. On newegg, they have the sempron's listed as the same core type as the AthlonXP. <shrug>

-- jolt