PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

gstanford
03-31-05, 12:00 PM
First one relates to nvhardpage V2.2 and an option to display card temperature in system tray (see temptray.jpg) Does this option actually work for anyone? Does it work on 76.41? I can't get it to do anything.

Note I'm not terribly worried - I have a cool running case and the leadtek cooler is massive (and blissfully quiet too! :D ) Just would be interesting to play with.

Secondly, when I reinstalled the 76.41's for my new GF6 I noticed an overclocking option that wasn't present for the FX (I've never seen it before actually) - Automatic overclocking (see clockrates.jpg) How come there has been no discussion of this (new?) feature so far?

It sounds like a cool idea, but I'm slightly concerned about how agressive it may or may not be especially with the memory clocks (I've heard it isn't good to push the GDDR3 past a certain point - drastically increases chances of memory failure).

I'll finish this post up with a suggestion for nVidia. Different games can react differently to different clock speeds. It would be nice if we could have an overclocking option incorporated into the profile system so a user could control overclocking (and how much of an overclock) on an app by app basis, instead of relying on only one global value. Naturally such a profile setup wouldn't allow overclocks exceeding what the optimal frequency detector thingy deems safe.

moshpit
03-31-05, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately, that would probably cause more problems then good. I've often seen the auto clock speed detection decide that a higher clock then what some games seem to like is appropriate, then getting issues 10 minutes into the game.

The only really safe way to overclock these badboys worth mentioning, is to manually experiment with the clocks till you find the lowest common denominator among all the games as to what clock speed you can get away with. Dynamic overclocking would only be usable if it also would dynamicly clock the speeds back down before instability crept in. Just my opinion though...

And just cause it SEEMS stable in one app doesn't mean it's still not being damaged. If you go to another app that stresses the card enough to show the weakness, then it's possible that just cause it runs good in other apps, that your still damaging the card.

gstanford
03-31-05, 07:52 PM
That's what I was thinking myself. I'd like the auto-overclock better if I could set upper bounds on it.

So no-one knows anything about the temp display in system tray option of nvhardpage then?